ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Permanence residence card - UK

Use this section for any queries concerning the EU Settlement Scheme, for applicants holding pre-settled and settled status.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

kokoben
Newly Registered

Permanence residence card - UK

Post by kokoben » Thu Jan 12, 2017 8:20 am

I am a Belgian national who have lived in the UK for 6ears. My application for a permanent residence card has just been refused on the basis that I do not have a comprehensive sickness insurance for the two year period I studied. The problem is I have just finished my course just this month. Is there a way around this? Can I buy a comprehensive sickness insurance now to cover the previous two years, that is a backdated one? How do I obtain a permanent residence card despite this hindrance?

noajthan

Re: Permanence residence card - UK

Post by noajthan » Thu Jan 12, 2017 8:35 am

kokoben wrote:I am a Belgian national who have lived in the UK for 6ears. My application for a permanent residence card has just been refused on the basis that I do not have a comprehensive sickness insurance for the two year period I studied. The problem is I have just finished my course just this month. Is there a way around this? Can I buy a comprehensive sickness insurance now to cover the previous two years, that is a backdated one? How do I obtain a permanent residence card despite this hindrance?
Most unfortunate.
CSI cannot be backdated.

If you had no alternative (such as: foreign EHIC, student RC issued before mid 2011, EEA citizen who could have sponsored you) your PR clock has been reset to zro.
It will take a further 5 years to acquire PR after you have become (became) a qualified person again.
All that is gold does not glitter; Not all those who wander are lost. E&OE.

noajthan

Post by noajthan » Thu Jan 12, 2017 8:44 am

No need for multiple posts - stick to this topic.

kokoben
Newly Registered

Post by kokoben » Fri Jan 13, 2017 4:59 am

Thanks for your response.
1) So how do I become a qualified person again?

2) I'm now unwell; but hopefully I'll be able to start work somewhere next month. I guess the 5years will start running from when I start work? However, since the UK is highly likely to leave the EU in less than 5years, on which grounds will I be able to apply for a PR card and/or a naturalisation?

ohara
Diamond Member

Post by ohara » Fri Jan 13, 2017 8:13 am

The 5 years will start running as soon as you become a qualified person.
Qualified person
A qualified person is defined in regulation 6 of the regulations as an EEA national who is
living in the UK as a:
 job seeker – regulation 6(1)(a)
 worker – regulation 6(1)(b)
 self-employed person – regulation 6(1)(c)
 self-sufficient person – regulation 6(1)(d)
 student – regulation 6(1)(e).
Students and self-sufficient people require CSI.

noajthan

Post by noajthan » Fri Jan 13, 2017 8:55 am

kokoben wrote:Thanks for your response.
1) So how do I become a qualified person again?

2) I'm now unwell; but hopefully I'll be able to start work somewhere next month. I guess the 5years will start running from when I start work? However, since the UK is highly likely to leave the EU in less than 5years, on which grounds will I be able to apply for a PR card and/or a naturalisation?
1) You don't simply have to be a worker;
You could get CSI and be a selfsufficient qp if you have resources to live on.

2) As there is no time to acquire PR in the normal way you will have to wait for outcome of negotiations and see what transitional arrangement may be put in place for you (and '000s of others).

It would be prudent to hold some EU documentation.
You could apply for EEA (QP) in the meantime.