ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Permanent residence, writing one letter rather than 85 pages

Use this section for any queries concerning the EU Settlement Scheme, for applicants holding pre-settled and settled status.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

Dowlad
Newly Registered

Permanent residence, writing one letter rather than 85 pages

Post by Dowlad » Fri Jan 27, 2017 5:15 pm

Hi,

I have not seen this question being asked before. could you please give me advice on the questions outlined below.

I am EU national from the Netherlands, been living in the UK since 2005, studying until 2008. No CSI during this time.
I been working full time from Mid 2008 until now for the same company.

I was about to request PR for myself, and write a letter including all the required documents. instead of using the 85 page form. Before 85 page becomes mandatory on 1st of February 2017.

1) Is it manadatory to declare benefits & criminal convictions on the letter I am writing ?

2) I am hoping to include the below supporting documents, will these be sufficient ?
5 * P60
NI contributions from 2008 until 2016
Bank Statements 6 Years worth
Payslips for the last 3 months.
Employee Letter confirming I was permanent since April 2009, before that agency don't have letter from them.

3) My 3rd question relates to my child born in the UK in 2016. is my child eligible for UK passport.
I rang the UK Passport office, who advised she is eligible but seems almost too good to be true. if she's eligible could you please give me advice on what supporting documents I should include for her application?
Please also let me know if I should be using MN1 form or whether I should apply using the post office form ?

4) One of questions on the passport application form is to confirm whether the baby was British at birth, if she eligible. should I put Yes for that qeustion?

noajthan

Re: Permanent residence, writing one letter rather than 85 p

Post by noajthan » Fri Jan 27, 2017 5:30 pm

Dowlad wrote:Hi,

I have not seen this question being asked before. could you please give me advice on the questions outlined below.

I am EU national from the Netherlands, been living in the UK since 2005, studying until 2008. No CSI during this time.
I been working full time from Mid 2008 until now for the same company.

I was about to request PR for myself, and write a letter including all the required documents. instead of using the 85 page form. Before 85 page becomes mandatory on 1st of February 2017.

1) Is it manadatory to declare benefits & criminal convictions on the letter I am writing ?

2) I am hoping to include the below supporting documents, will these be sufficient ?
5 * P60
NI contributions from 2008 until 2016
Bank Statements 6 Years worth
Payslips for the last 3 months.
Employee Letter confirming I was permanent since April 2009, before that agency don't have letter from them.

3) My 3rd question relates to my child born in the UK in 2016. is my child eligible for UK passport.
I rang the UK Passport office, who advised she is eligible but seems almost too good to be true. if she's eligible could you please give me advice on what supporting documents I should include for her application?
Please also let me know if I should be using MN1 form or whether I should apply using the post office form ?

4) One of questions on the passport application form is to confirm whether the baby was British at birth, if she eligible. should I put Yes for that qeustion?
1) No.
But any missing information may lead to refusal.

Noone actually completes and prints the whole 85 pages as some sections won't apply in your case.
Alternately you could use one of the earlier (simpler) forms (before February).

2) Proof of id?
Proof residence?
Details of absences from UK?

3) If you had had CSI you may have acquired the holy grail of PR status by 2010.
As a worker you may have acquired PR by 2013/14.
If so your child has been fortunate enough to have been born British (ie to at least one settled parent).

As child is British she should not register using form MN1.
Shoot directly for passport; form from PO.
Ref https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... plications

4) See #3
(Yes).
All that is gold does not glitter; Not all those who wander are lost. E&OE.

Dowlad
Newly Registered

Post by Dowlad » Fri Jan 27, 2017 5:53 pm

noajthan wrote: 1) No.
But any missing information may lead to refusal.

Noone actually completes and prints the whole 85 pages as some sections won't apply in your case.
Alternately you could use one of the earlier (simpler) forms (before February).

2) Proof of id?
Proof residence?
Details of absences from UK?

3) If you had had CSI you may have acquired the holy grail of PR status by 2010.
As a worker you may have acquired PR by 2013/14.
If so your child has been fortunate enough to have been born British (ie to at least one settled parent).

As child is British she should not register using form MN1.
Shoot directly for passport; form from PO.
Ref https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... plications

4) See #3
(Yes).
Thanks very much for the quick reply Noajthan

1) I basically want to write a letter that summarizes many of the things they ask for.
Would dangerous driving conviction in 2009 and no insurance in 2014 make my application more difficult?
I know it's problem for naturalisation been told by a solicitor but is the same true for PR?

2)a I will submit copy of Passport signed by a lawyer. as I will be traveling soon, Planning to send the Passport If I am contacted later on. Without the passport will they reject immediately or will they ask me to provide one?

2)b Unfortunately I do not have a utility bills for every year. I do have bank statements and P60 NI Contributions for all years. was hoping those would suffice as proof of address & Job.

2)c Luckily I have not been abscent that often few days here and there but never more than 3 weeks in one year.

3 - 4) Thanks for you advice much appreciated.

Dowlad
Newly Registered

Post by Dowlad » Fri Jan 27, 2017 6:01 pm

My Wife is non EU, we are legally married. could you please advise if she requires CSI at all times.
She has been granted 5 residence card family member of EU.

noajthan

Post by noajthan » Fri Jan 27, 2017 6:07 pm

Dowlad wrote:Thanks very much for the quick reply Noajthan

1) I basically want to write a letter that summarizes many of the things they ask for.
Would dangerous driving conviction in 2009 and no insurance in 2014 make my application more difficult?
I know it's problem for naturalisation been told by a solicitor but is the same true for PR?

2)a I will submit copy of Passport signed by a lawyer. as I will be traveling soon, Planning to send the Passport If I am contacted later on. Without the passport will they reject immediately or will they ask me to provide one?

2)b Unfortunately I do not have a utility bills for every year. I do have bank statements and P60 NI Contributions for all years. was hoping those would suffice as proof of address & Job.

2)c Luckily I have not been abscent that often few days here and there but never more than 3 weeks in one year.

3 - 4) Thanks for you advice much appreciated.
1) No 'good character' check for PR application.

2a) Original required.
Unless you invoke Barnett case law.

Choosing to travel is not a good enough reason 'outside your control'.
But why not simplify your life and apply via the new council EU document checking service (keep hold of travel docs).

See http://www.immigrationboards.com/eea-ro ... 17519.html

2b) You need proof of residence in UK quite apart from proof of exercise of treaty rights.

Dowlad
Newly Registered

Post by Dowlad » Fri Jan 27, 2017 6:21 pm

noajthan wrote:
1) No 'good character' check for PR application.

2a) Original required.
Unless you invoke Barnett case law.

Choosing to travel is not a good enough reason 'outside your control'.
But why not simplify your life and apply via the new council EU document checking service (keep hold of travel docs).

See http://www.immigrationboards.com/eea-ro ... 17519.html

2b) You need proof of residence in UK quite apart from proof of exercise of treaty rights.
1) thanks for the clarifications

2a) I thought the council check was only applicable to on-line applications and not paper form format.

2b, I would like to document the 7 + that I was qualifying for PR to receive the PR. or is it mandatory to document the entire stay, from 2005 till now 2017? that would take much more time and effort.

Thanks in advance and if you any experience on CSI please see my previous question, I would like to avoid issues later on when applying for my wifes PR

noajthan

Post by noajthan » Fri Jan 27, 2017 6:30 pm

Dowlad wrote:My Wife is non EU, we are legally married. could you please advise if she requires CSI at all times.
She has been granted 5 residence card family member of EU.
Only if/when sponsor (EEA) is a student or selfsufficient qualified person.

noajthan

Post by noajthan » Fri Jan 27, 2017 6:41 pm

Dowlad wrote:1) thanks for the clarifications

2a) I thought the council check was only applicable to on-line applications and not paper form format.

2b, I would like to document the 7 + that I was qualifying for PR to receive the PR. or is it mandatory to document the entire stay, from 2005 till now 2017? that would take much more time and effort.

Thanks in advance and if you any experience on CSI please see my previous question, I would like to avoid issues later on when applying for my wifes PR
2a) Its horses for courses.
Its all about opportunity cost and how badly you want to travel - especially if no EU id.

2b) Not everyone knows when their qp is/was. And there is no question: "when was your qp?".

Its the caseworker's job to assess and weigh the information and evidence submitted to decide if she can agree you have acquired PR.

Limit yourself and get it wrong and you could be refused whereas your entire UK history gives more potential blocks of qualifying periods.

Dowlad
Newly Registered

Post by Dowlad » Fri Jan 27, 2017 6:44 pm

Noajthan Thank you for your help, Could you please answer ''hopefully'' this final question.

I cant document the entire of my stay in the UK, as I've moved around houses with family, and do not have utlity bills on my name etc.

My aim was to document in the letter the qualifying period 6 or 8 years not 12 years.
would documenting 6 year period with all the evidence be sufficient to get the PR?

noajthan

Post by noajthan » Fri Jan 27, 2017 6:47 pm

Dowlad wrote:Noajthan Thank you for your help, Could you please answer ''hopefully'' this final question.

I cant document the entire of my stay in the UK, as I've moved around houses with family, and do not have utlity bills on my name etc.

My aim was to document in the letter the qualifying period 6 or 8 years not 12 years.
would documenting 6 year period with all the evidence be sufficient to get the PR?
If you can prove your id, your exercise of treaty rights for a continuous 5 year period, your residence in UK for those 5 years and since then (and show any/all absences from UK that you have enjoyed have been within prescribed limits) you have more than a fighting chance.
Assuming no CSI, WRS or similar complications.

Get into caseworker's head here:
https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/s ... _clean.pdf

Dowlad
Newly Registered

Post by Dowlad » Sat Jan 28, 2017 12:33 am

Could you please let me know if it is possible to submit my PR request and British Passport request at the same time to the HO, I am struggling to find 2 * p60, however I have the NI contributions and Employee letter will that be enough?
I have been perm worker at same company for 7 years and I have the employment verification/confirmation letter.

Regarding the residence I been studying part time while working full time, as I am lacking most utilities bills Could my transcript signed + stamped by Uni be accepted as proof of continuous residence + Bank statements 5years + ?

noajthan

Post by noajthan » Sat Jan 28, 2017 9:41 am

Dowlad wrote:Could you please let me know if it is possible to submit my PR request and British Passport request at the same time to the HO, I am struggling to find 2 * p60, however I have the NI contributions and Employee letter will that be enough?
I have been perm worker at same company for 7 years and I have the employment verification/confirmation letter.

Regarding the residence I been studying part time while working full time, as I am lacking most utilities bills Could my transcript signed + stamped by Uni be accepted as proof of continuous residence + Bank statements 5years + ?
You would struggle to do so in practice as the same basic set of paperwork would have to go to two places, HO for DCPR application; HMPO for child's passport application.

Its up to you to prove residence.
A Uni transcript may help. But you could equally have been studying remotely or online.
Do you have student accommodation paperwork and related documents to back it up?

You can only submit what you have or can now catch up and retrieve or can supplement with recent confirmation letters.
But always best to adopt a belt and braces approach in case any one item is not accepted for some reason.
Don't give HO the benefit of any wriggle room.

Other potential proofs of residence:
  • Tax documents;
    Council tax bills;
    Utility bills;
    Voter registration/electoral roll;
    Insurance (house/car etc);
    Driver's license;
    School letters (to parent as you have a child);
    Health authority letters;
    Doctor/dentist/optician/clinic records;
    Church/temple/mosque records;
    Community groups/volunteering-related stuff;
& etc etc

Dowlad
Newly Registered

Post by Dowlad » Sun Jan 29, 2017 1:08 pm

Hi,

Thanks for the list it really helps.

I was not sure how continous residence is assessed, for example if I found 1 utility bill for each year, don't think that would be sufficient, do they require to see a monthly bills, or would showing them 3 util bill for each year be sufficient?

is this residence requirements just to make things difficults? cant imagine someone can work in the UK without being resident. I have bank statements for 7 years that show I been around and been shopping and paying bills all this time.

I found some old payslips can but no util or any other agreements. unfortunately never kept those

noajthan

Post by noajthan » Sun Jan 29, 2017 1:40 pm

Its a requirement of EU law.
There are two aspects to acquiring PR: treaty rights and residence.
Not everyone is a worker.
A P60 wouldn't show if someone had lived and worked in UK 2 days a week or for 5-7 days/week.

And if one has acquired PR its necessary to show residence had been maintained since then.

So you need to prove residence in the country you claim to reside in;
and also that absences were within prescribed limits - usually no more than 6 months out per year.
Quite generous really.

A sample of various documents across the years should do.
Belt and braces.

:idea: Pro tip: Its always a good idea to look ahead to the next application you are going to make (and the one after that) to make sure you are generating the necessary papertrail ahead of time.
And ensure you are cultivating appropriate professional contacts for use as possible referees & etc.

Dowlad
Newly Registered

Post by Dowlad » Sun Mar 19, 2017 9:06 pm

noajthan Thanks for your help, I have not submitted my PR application yet.
However I have received my daughters british passport in less 2 weeks from the HMPO. Really good service.
All they required was copy of my passport, and as this was new passported they also needed the old invalid passport, 5 * P60, and I had included employee letter just in case they needed it.

Thanks for your advice and assistance.

Dowlad
Newly Registered

Post by Dowlad » Sat Apr 29, 2017 11:34 pm

I just started filling out the PR form online and saw this statement. I was worried about proving my residence but this clearly changes everything. have the requirements changed recently ?

Evidence of employment with a UK employer

If the employment details that you have provided cover your continuous 5-year qualifying period, can you provide P60 and/or P45 tax certificates from your UK employer(s) for this whole period? (Required)
Your 'qualifying period' can be any continuous five-year period where you've been in the UK and exercising your Treaty rights (in this case, working). If you can provide P60 and/or P45 tax certificates, this will save you from having to provide other evidence of living in the UK during this period, such as utility bills or bank statements.

vinny

Post by vinny » Sat Apr 29, 2017 11:54 pm

This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.