ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Please help with advice on PR application

Use this section for any queries concerning the EU Settlement Scheme, for applicants holding pre-settled and settled status.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

Shyn
Newly Registered

Please help with advice on PR application

Post by Shyn » Tue Jan 31, 2017 6:14 pm

Hi,

I'm an EEA national and I have lived in the UK since 2009 October, when I started a university course that I finished in 2013 June. I started full time work in 2013 September.

When I wanted to apply for PR certificate, this was the first time ever I came across the fact that I was supposed to have some sort of comprehensive sickness insurance. Not only was I never advised on this, but back in 2010 my university advised and helped me cancel my health insurance in my EEA nation as they said that I was insured with the NHS in the UK and according to EU law, a citizen can only be insured and charged for insurance in one EU country (my EEA country was trying to charge me for their health service that I wasn't using because I wasn't living there, and as I said I got advice and help from my university to cancel their claim by the fact that I wasn't a resident there anymore... I trusted my university's advice and thought that my academic fees were covering the health insurance).

I understand that I probably have no way to appeal even on the grounds of being misinformed, and I don't want to waste £65 to confirm that, but I find it totally disgusting that they can retrospectively expect people who had no information given ever about needing this insurance to have obtained it. I would have been very happy to pay for it if anyone bothered to even mention the need for it... Or at least if they didn't advise me to cancel my other insurance!!!!

In any case, what I was actually wondering is, since my father moved to the UK in 2011 Nov and have been without a break self-employed, is there any chance I could hand in my application along with his as a dependent child over 21? We lived at completely different addresses until a year ago.

I guess I would still have to declare my university years, and that I had no CSI, but would his qualifying years cover me to enable me to claim PR as well?

Also does anyone know if they fail a family member only, does that make the main applicant fail their application as well? I don't want to ruin his application.

Many thanks,

A stressed and worried EEA national

noajthan

Re: Please help with advice on PR application

Post by noajthan » Tue Jan 31, 2017 6:30 pm

Most unfortunate.

However the need for CSI (so as not to place an unbearable burden on a state's social assistance system) is part of EU law, nothing specifically to do with university or UK.

University staff are not necessarily EEA immigration law experts.
And someone invoking free movement rights could reasonably be expected to familiarise themselves with the associated responsibilities too.

There are various alternatives.
Did you have a foreign EHIC?
Did you have a student RC (issued during/before 2011)?

And yes, you could be sponsored by a Union citizen sponsor.
If you were over 21 at some time in the 5 year qualifying period you would have to prove dependency on your sponsor for your essential daily needs; (up to 50% of needs).
No need for co-habitation.

See https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/s ... als-v4.pdf
All that is gold does not glitter; Not all those who wander are lost. E&OE.