ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Spouse Visa after Divorce From Eu partner

Use this section for any queries concerning the EU Settlement Scheme, for applicants holding pre-settled and settled status.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

Chaves
Newly Registered

Spouse Visa after Divorce From Eu partner

Post by Chaves » Mon Mar 29, 2010 4:05 pm

Hi, can someone help me please.
I live in the UK since 2003, first I was a student and then I’ve got married in February 2006 and granted a 5 year spouse Visa, which will expire in 2011. I have never bothered to get the ILR after 2 years of married as my wife is Italian and I would have the right to became a Italian citizen after 3 years of married, even living in the UK, but now we want to get divorced and the Italian citizenship is not ready yet nor I got my ILR. What I wanted to know is if I should get the ILR before I get divorced or if I can divorce and get the visa even if I am divorced. I am pretty settled here with a good and stable job, so did not want to leave yet.
Thank you[/b]

ld10

Re: Spouse Visa after Divorce From Eu partner

Post by ld10 » Mon Mar 29, 2010 4:38 pm

Chaves wrote:Hi, can someone help me please.
I live in the UK since 2003, first I was a student and then I’ve got married in February 2006 and granted a 5 year spouse Visa, which will expire in 2011. I have never bothered to get the ILR after 2 years of married as my wife is Italian and I would have the right to became a Italian citizen after 3 years of married, even living in the UK, but now we want to get divorced and the Italian citizenship is not ready yet nor I got my ILR. What I wanted to know is if I should get the ILR before I get divorced or if I can divorce and get the visa even if I am divorced. I am pretty settled here with a good and stable job, so did not want to leave yet.
Thank you[/b]
Do you have any links to support that?Where this information from?

Obie
Ireland

Post by Obie » Mon Mar 29, 2010 4:57 pm

OP is 100% correct. It would have been reduced to 18months if they had a child together and lived overseas and 1 year if they had a child and lived in Italy together.

OP in regards to your question, you might be able to retain your right of residence if you and you wife have been married for 3 years or more, and has lived in the UK at least a year of those 3, and you can prove that up to the time you marriage was fully dissolved she was a qualified person in the UK
Smooth seas do not make skilful sailors

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Re: Spouse Visa after Divorce From Eu partner

Post by Wanderer » Mon Mar 29, 2010 6:13 pm

ld10 wrote:
Chaves wrote:Hi, can someone help me please.
Thank you[/b]
Do you have any links to support that?Where this information from?
It's true, pretty archaic, Ireland used to do it too. I'm surprised the EU hasn't made a ruling to outlaw it..
An chéad stad eile Stáisiún Uí Chonghaile....

Chaves
Newly Registered

Post by Chaves » Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:06 pm

Thanks for that, she is a very qualified person and I am too, do I have to prove that even knowing that I have never depended on her?
I could not find the instructions of how to do that nor a form to fill on the UK border or Home Offcice website, would I have to get a lawyer for that?
Thank you