ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Student Applying for residency

Use this section for any queries concerning the EU Settlement Scheme, for applicants holding pre-settled and settled status.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

mbrown22
Newly Registered

Student Applying for residency

Post by mbrown22 » Tue Jan 17, 2017 10:35 am

Hi

I have been in the uk since september 2011 and was a student for most part (undergraduate and masters) and am now doing a Phd. I am fully funded and as such receive a full stipend and am able to support myself and have occasionally worked part time jobs over the last five years but have been unemployed for the most part. Am i still eligible to apply for British Citizenship after I apply for permanent residence?

My main worry is that I heard and read somewhere regarding the need to have private health insurance but I cannot find some proper information about my situation.

Many thanks!

Casa

Re: Student Applying for residency

Post by Casa » Tue Jan 17, 2017 10:42 am

mbrown22 wrote:Hi

I have been in the uk since september 2011 and was a student for most part (undergraduate and masters) and am now doing a Phd. I am fully funded and as such receive a full stipend and am able to support myself and have occasionally worked part time jobs over the last five years but have been unemployed for the most part. Am i still eligible to apply for British Citizenship after I apply for permanent residence?

My main worry is that I heard and read somewhere regarding the need to have private health insurance but I cannot find some proper information about my situation.

Many thanks!
CSI was required for the qualifying period when you are an unemployed student. PR will be refused without it.

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/s ... udents.pdf
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.

noajthan

Post by noajthan » Tue Jan 17, 2017 10:48 am

Many thanks!
Economic activity is not a requirement for those contemplating naturalising.

However you will need confirmation of settled (eg PR) status.

If no CSI in place as a student did you have an alternative?
For example:
  • Foreign EHIC;
    RC issued to you as student during/before 2011;
    Union citizen sponsor;
All that is gold does not glitter; Not all those who wander are lost. E&OE.

mbrown22
Newly Registered

Post by mbrown22 » Tue Jan 17, 2017 10:53 am

Hi

I'm from italy and looking around I noticed I had an Italian health insurance card around but might have lost it. Would that count? Were I to obtain a new one over the coming weeks, would that make me eligible?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Italian_h ... rance_card

noajthan

Post by noajthan » Tue Jan 17, 2017 11:03 am

I'm from italy and looking around I noticed I had an Italian health insurance card around but might have lost it. Would that count? Were I to obtain a new one over the coming weeks, would that make me eligible?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Italian_h ... rance_card
You need to submit proof of possessing the EHIC or similar at the relevant time, including in the past if you were a student in the past.

mbrown22
Newly Registered

Post by mbrown22 » Tue Jan 17, 2017 11:06 am

I think my card has been expired for a while now so will have to renew, and I have used the NHS in the last 6 years on a few occasions.

many thanks for all your help!

noajthan

Post by noajthan » Tue Jan 17, 2017 11:09 am

mbrown22 wrote:I think my card has been expired for a while now so will have to renew, and I have used the NHS in the last 6 years on a few occasions.

many thanks for all your help!
So that won't help your case and won't have kept your PR clock running.

Noetic
Member of Standing

Post by Noetic » Wed Jan 18, 2017 6:14 am

Sometimes it is possible to get PR with a letter (translated?) from your country of birth confirming you were covered by them / entitled to an EHIC, even if you no longer have the card in your possession. I don't recall seeing Italy mentioned in the examples but it's worth a shot.