ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

SURINDER SINGH AND PR

Use this section for any queries concerning the EU Settlement Scheme, for applicants holding pre-settled and settled status.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

PLUZZ

SURINDER SINGH AND PR

Post by PLUZZ » Tue Jun 23, 2015 11:09 pm

Hi good people of this forum.

Can someone please guide me? In terms of applying for Permanent residence in Surinder Singh cases, does 5years start counting from date of marriage (Marriage was conducted in UK prior to moving to Ireland to exercise treaty right), Or does the 5 years start counting from the date the residence card was issued.

Note- Pls note this question is specifically for surinder singh cases.

PLUZZ

Re: SURINDER SINGH AND PR

Post by PLUZZ » Fri Jun 26, 2015 4:33 pm

Answers anyone please???????

chaoclive
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by chaoclive » Fri Jun 26, 2015 6:06 pm

PLUZZ wrote:Hi good people of this forum.

Can someone please guide me? In terms of applying for Permanent residence in Surinder Singh cases, does 5years start counting from date of marriage (Marriage was conducted in UK prior to moving to Ireland to exercise treaty right), Or does the 5 years start counting from the date the residence card was issued.

I guess that it will start from the date when you reentered the UK AFTER Surinder Singh in Ireland. The Home Office wouldn't accept your time in the UK before your British spouse was viewed as a qualified person. That is to say: the spouse of a British citizen working in the UK would not be considered as being there under EEA law, as this would fall under the UK immigration rules. That's the whole reason why people do Surinder Singh to 'activate' their EEA status.

The date on the residence card does not really mean anything at all as you will not be illegal even when the RC expires. The residence card is a confirmation of the rights that you and you spouse have; it doesn't actually confer these rights.

PLUZZ

Post by PLUZZ » Fri Jun 26, 2015 10:42 pm

chaoclive wrote:
PLUZZ wrote:Hi good people of this forum.

I guess that it will start from the date when you reentered the UK AFTER Surinder Singh in Ireland. The Home Office wouldn't accept your time in the UK before your British spouse was viewed as a qualified person. That is to say: the spouse of a British citizen working in the UK would not be considered as being there under EEA law, as this would fall under the UK immigration rules. That's the whole reason why people do Surinder Singh to 'activate' their EEA status.

The date on the residence card does not really mean anything at all as you will not be illegal even when the RC expires. The residence card is a confirmation of the rights that you and you spouse have; it doesn't actually confer these rights.
Thanks a lot for your help.