ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

UK/SA/Portuguese Passport what will happen with Brexit?

Use this section for any queries concerning the EU Settlement Scheme, for applicants holding pre-settled and settled status.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

DonsGoodwin55
Newly Registered

UK/SA/Portuguese Passport what will happen with Brexit?

Post by DonsGoodwin55 » Thu Nov 03, 2016 4:19 pm

I was born in South Africa, my mother is British so I obtained a British Passport through her. However my son, born in South Africa could not do the same, his father is Portuguese and my son now has a Portuguese passport and was able to move to UK with me. I would like to know what would happen with Brexit now, my son is 13 years old. We have lived here for 3 years. Any help will be most appreciated. Thanks

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: UK/SA/Portuguese Passport what will happen with Brexit?

Post by CR001 » Thu Nov 03, 2016 4:24 pm

If you are British by descent and have lived in the UK with your son for 3 years, you can register him as British.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

ohara
Diamond Member

Post by ohara » Thu Nov 03, 2016 4:25 pm

You are a British citizen by descent so you can not pass on British citizenship to any of your own children who are born outside the UK.

However as you and the child have now lived in the UK for at least 3 years, the child is entitled to be registered as a British citizen under section 3(5) of the British Nationality Act 1981.

Have a look at Form MN1 and its associated guidance.

DonsGoodwin55
Newly Registered

Post by DonsGoodwin55 » Thu Nov 03, 2016 4:27 pm

This is fantastic, I thought I would have to have him wait 5 years before I can do this. Thanks all for your help. Relieved!

noajthan

Post by noajthan » Thu Nov 03, 2016 4:30 pm

DonsGoodwin55 wrote:This is fantastic, I thought I would have to have him wait 5 years before I can do this. Thanks all for your help. Relieved!
And clever son keeps EU passport too - he's aced it.
All that is gold does not glitter; Not all those who wander are lost. E&OE.

britishcitizenship
Newly Registered

Post by britishcitizenship » Mon Nov 07, 2016 9:34 am

Does Portugal accept the dual nationality?

ohara
Diamond Member

Post by ohara » Mon Nov 07, 2016 10:27 am

britishcitizenship wrote:Does Portugal accept the dual nationality?
Yes, unconditionally. Just like the UK. :)

Richard W
- thin ice -

Post by Richard W » Thu Dec 01, 2016 10:48 pm

ohara wrote:However as you and the child have now lived in the UK for at least 3 years, the child is entitled to be registered as a British citizen under section 3(5) of the British Nationality Act 1981.
You're assuming the mother was British when the son was born. That seems unlikely from the son's age. I think we're in the grey area of Section 3(1) - registration at discretion. I would also worry that the son currently has no right to be in the UK - there was no mention of his father being in the UK.

Casa

Post by Casa » Thu Dec 01, 2016 10:54 pm

DonsGoodwin55 wrote:I was born in South Africa, my mother is British so I obtained a British Passport through her. However my son, born in South Africa could not do the same, his father is Portuguese and my son now has a Portuguese passport and was able to move to UK with me. I would like to know what would happen with Brexit now, my son is 13 years old. We have lived here for 3 years. Any help will be most appreciated. Thanks
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.

Richard W
- thin ice -

Post by Richard W » Thu Dec 01, 2016 11:25 pm

Casa wrote:
DonsGoodwin55 wrote:I was born in South Africa, my mother is British so I obtained a British Passport through her. However my son, born in South Africa could not do the same, his father is Portuguese and my son now has a Portuguese passport and was able to move to UK with me. I would like to know what would happen with Brexit now, my son is 13 years old. We have lived here for 3 years. Any help will be most appreciated. Thanks
If the OP was born before 1st January 1983, she wasn't born British. She would have acquired British citizenship though registration under Section 4C, and the critical question is when.

Casa

Post by Casa » Fri Dec 02, 2016 8:13 am

...and why would the son have "no right to reside in the UK" with a Portuguese passport if he is exercising his Treaty rights as a student? :?:
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.

Richard W
- thin ice -

Post by Richard W » Fri Dec 02, 2016 6:08 pm

Casa wrote:...and why would the son have "no right to reside in the UK" with a Portuguese passport if he is exercising his Treaty rights as a student? :?:
Fair point.

However, is he? Assuming he counts as 'self-sufficient', he may well have fallen into the trap of not having CSI in place.