ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

USA citizen living in sweden wanting to move to UK

Use this section for any queries concerning the EU Settlement Scheme, for applicants holding pre-settled and settled status.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

melissafranks90
Newly Registered

USA citizen living in sweden wanting to move to UK

Post by melissafranks90 » Sun Jul 20, 2014 7:20 pm

Hello I am an american that lives in Sweden on a resident permit and my wife and I ( she is a swedish citizen) want to move to the UK. We have friends all over the UK that have set us up with a house and want to set us up with a job when we get there. They were telling me that I should apply for the family visa since my wife is a EU citizen. So I was thinking that maybe after I have my family permit can I change my permits if I find a job? I have a degree in phlebotomy so I want to find a hospital in new castle that I could work with. My main questions is how long typically does it take for family visa to go through? can I apply for residence card or work permit after I enter the UK on a family visa? Is this costly? Does it help at all that I am married to an EU citizen? :D thanks ahead of time of any answers or help! :P

Casa

Re: USA citizen living in sweden wanting to move to UK

Post by Casa » Sun Jul 20, 2014 7:56 pm

Why would you want to change your family permit to a work visa? The route to permanent settlement is the same.
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.

melissafranks90
Newly Registered

Post by melissafranks90 » Sun Jul 20, 2014 8:21 pm

I read on the uk website that you could not work if you were on a family visa. Is that not true?

Casa

Post by Casa » Sun Jul 20, 2014 9:06 pm

That's not true at all. You would have full rights to employment as a family member of an EU citizen. You need to apply for an EEA2 permit;
https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/s ... ideeea.pdf
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.

melissafranks90
Newly Registered

Post by melissafranks90 » Sun Jul 20, 2014 9:11 pm

Casa wrote:That's not true at all. You would have full rights to employment as a family member of an EU citizen. You need to apply for an EEA2 permit;
https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/s ... ideeea.pdf

Wow thankyou that is so helpful I had no idea. I am so glad I got on this site it is so helpful thankyou!

Amber
Mood:

Post by Amber » Sun Jul 20, 2014 9:44 pm

Our excellent and most helpful moderator Casa is so often on hand to guide you and confirm rights, so empowering when you know. I hope you enjoy exercising EU free movement rights and enjoy the UK!
**this forum is not intended to be a substitute for professional advice**
Click here to send me a PM regarding an offensive post. Do NOT PM me for immigration advice.

sheraz7
Respected Guru

Post by sheraz7 » Sun Jul 20, 2014 10:11 pm

As an American you can even skip the process of applying EEA family permit and can freely travel to UK with your EU national partner who will not need to exercise her treaty rights during the 1st three months. And once she start excersing her treaty rights then you can apply the EEA2 RC and on its submission you will get CoA confirming your right of work & live for employment purposes.
Please donot send PM. Write in open forum to facilitate others too.
REGARDS