ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

views on renouncing brtish citizenship for eea permt

Use this section for any queries concerning the EU Settlement Scheme, for applicants holding pre-settled and settled status.

Moderators: Casa, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny

louise.

Re: views on renouncing brtish citizenship for eea permt

Post by louise. » Tue Jun 16, 2015 8:03 pm

For visa applications made outside the UK, you’ll have to pay if:

you’re a national of a country outside the European Economic Area
you’re applying for a visa to work, study or join your family in the UK for more than 6 months (but you’re not applying to permanently remain in the UK)
you’ve applied and paid your visa fee on or after 6 April 2015

im confused..

chaoclive
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by chaoclive » Wed Jun 17, 2015 5:02 pm

louise. wrote:For visa applications made outside the UK, you’ll have to pay if:

you’re a national of a country outside the European Economic Area
you’re applying for a visa to work, study or join your family in the UK for more than 6 months (but you’re not applying to permanently remain in the UK)
you’ve applied and paid your visa fee on or after 6 April 2015

im confused..
Don't worry. Family members of EEA nationals exercising treaty rights (like you) in the UK do not have to pay: https://www.freemovement.org.uk/nhs-sur ... lications/

See also here:
https://www.gov.uk/healthcare-immigrati ... cation=ufi
'You don’t need to get an IHS reference number or pay the healthcare surcharge if:

you’re applying for a visitor visa
you’re applying for a visa (from outside the UK) for 6 months or less
you’re applying for indefinite leave to remain
you’re a diplomat or a member of a visiting armed forces and not subject to immigration control
you’re a family member of a European national with European Union treaty rights'

and

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/s ... s_2015.pdf
Page 43: '5.32 Some non-EEA nationals have a right to live in the UK as family members of an EEA national who is exercising EU Treaty rights, typically by working in the UK. These individuals are exempt from paying the surcharge and will have an NHS record created on the Spine demonstrating their ‘Green: Free access to NHS services’ status during the time granted to remain in the UK. They will be issued with a Biometric Residence Card (BRC) instead of a BRP from April 2015. Some may continue to rely on valid non-biometric residence cards until they expire. The BRC will be almost identical in style and substance to the BRP and should be handled in the same way to verify eligibility for free NHS services.'

We have not paid anything, nor have we been asked to pay.

chaoclive
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by chaoclive » Wed Jun 17, 2015 5:06 pm

louise. wrote:Oh my ..two months after they took your payment to process it? hope it the 2 month mark than that :| they confirmed my application as being received 5th may also 2 month mark only couple weeks away or is that me being highly optimistic..

With regards to documents, we have to hand, original marriage certificate, funny enough i had to provide payslips recently and proof of employment which my employer wrote and sent to me on headed paper, should i send that too? I am missing like 3 out of 20 months payslips, should i get those copies from my employer? or submit bank statements covering the missing pay slips. IF I WERE YOU I WOULD DEFINITELY SEND THE LETTER FROM YOUR EMPLOYER AND SOME OF YOUR PAYSLIPS. YOU DON'T NEED ALL OF THE PAYSLIPS! 20 WOULD BE EXCESSIVE. FOR MY PARTNER'S RC APPLICATION (EEA2 LAST OCTOBER) I HAD JUST SEND 2 OR 3 PAYSLIPS IN TOTAL. NO NEED TO SEND BANK STATEMENTS AT ALL.

I WOULD RECOMMEND THAT YOU WORK YOUR WAY THROUGH THE EEA FAMILY PERMIT APPLICATION FORM ON: https://www.visa4uk.fco.gov.uk. REGISTER AN ACCOUNT FROM AN EMAIL THAT YOU DON'T PLAN TO USE FOR THE ACTUAL VISA APPLICATION. THAT WAY YOU WILL BE ABLE TO GET A HEADS UP ON THE QUESTIONS THAT YOU WILL HAVE TO COMPLETE.

Do we need proof of relationship?
Yes I think it was about 2 months approximately. I didn't really pay too much attention to be honest but don't worry! Just get everything else sorted in the mean time.

louise.

Post by louise. » Wed Jun 17, 2015 6:40 pm

Thank you, your a star.

May i be a pain and ask all you supplied?

Am i right in assuming we dont need to send bank statements? or should we.
Do we need relationship proof ?

or is marriage cert. pay sips. proof of employment enough?

this is a stupid question, i assume i need to post all my documents to my husband so he can submit everything ? :)

chaoclive
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by chaoclive » Wed Jun 17, 2015 7:36 pm

louise. wrote:Thank you, your a star.

May i be a pain and ask all you supplied?

Am i right in assuming we dont need to send bank statements? or should we.
Do we need relationship proof ?

or is marriage cert. pay sips. proof of employment enough?

this is a stupid question, i assume i need to post all my documents to my husband so he can submit everything ? :)
We didn't supply any proof of relationship as we had a civil partnership and it wasn't recently done (got our CP in 2011 and applied for EEA FP in 2014).

We supplied the following:
-my passport (irish)
-his passport
-civil partnership certificate
-application form
-renunciation certificate
-photos (2 i think)

Don't think there was anything else. Can't remember the details tbh! We didn't provide bank statements nor anything to do with my job. There's no requirement to prove your financial situation but you will need to prove that you have been working in the UK as you have been there for longer than the initial 3 months (all EU citizens have a 3 month right of residence where they don't need to be a qualified person).

I think you will need to post him the stuff. Not sure how I would go about the passport though. You might want to see if you can get it certified somehow and send that? Don't think you're allowed to post passports across international borders. You could open a new post about this? I'm sure other people have this issue.

louise.

Post by louise. » Wed Jun 17, 2015 8:01 pm

I have another question, does my husband need to do his biometrics in the states? or attend a interview.

Thank you again on behalf of us both for all your help, we would be totally lost without it. :)

louise.

Post by louise. » Wed Jun 17, 2015 8:05 pm

where is the best place( forum)to post about posting passport may i ask?

Do i need to supply my accommodation details,? im sorry all these questions.

chaoclive
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by chaoclive » Wed Jun 17, 2015 8:20 pm

louise. wrote:where is the best place( forum)to post about posting passport may i ask?

It would still be in the EEA Route forum. You will have to provide details about where you and your partner will live when he gets here. Surely he will be able to live with you? Don't know if that would affect your housing benefit or anything?

chaoclive
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by chaoclive » Wed Jun 17, 2015 8:26 pm

louise. wrote:I have another question, does my husband need to do his biometrics in the states? or attend a interview.

Thank you again on behalf of us both for all your help, we would be totally lost without it. :)
He will have to book an appointment to submit his documents for the EEA family permit. At that interview they will take his fingerprints. We went to the British Embassy in Beijing and submitted the documents/fingerprints.

I'm not sure how it works in the USA. You might want to have a detailed look around on here, http://britishexpats.com/forum/ or http://talk.uk-yankee.com/index.php?board=17.0. I hope you will be able to find out some more details.

I don't mind helping at all. The only issue is that your situation is going to be a little different to ours in terms of application, as you are not together at the time of application, whereas we were.

louise.

Post by louise. » Wed Jun 17, 2015 8:30 pm

ahh ok, so he will have to attend to hand everything in? he dont just post it?

chaoclive
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by chaoclive » Wed Jun 17, 2015 8:34 pm

louise. wrote:ahh ok, so he will have to attend to hand everything in? he dont just post it?
That's what we had to do. Again, not sure about USA.

louise.

Post by louise. » Wed Jun 17, 2015 8:40 pm

chaoclive wrote:
louise. wrote:where is the best place( forum)to post about posting passport may i ask?

It would still be in the EEA Route forum. You will have to provide details about where you and your partner will live when he gets here. Surely he will be able to live with you? Don't know if that would affect your housing benefit or anything?

Oh of course he be living here :) with regards to showing where he will live when he gets here, im confused ? im sorry, i have a house been here 4 years already . is it when he applies for the residence card that i have to supply my tenancy details do you mean?

chaoclive
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by chaoclive » Wed Jun 17, 2015 8:45 pm

louise. wrote:
chaoclive wrote:

Oh of course he be living here :) with regards to showing where he will live when he gets here, im confused ? im sorry, i have a house been here 4 years already . is it when he applies for the residence card that i have to supply my tenancy details do you mean?
The EEA FP application will ask for his address in the UK. You can just add your address on the form. You don't need your tenancy

When he applies for the residence card you will have to provide EVIDENCE of him living with you (well, actually he doesn't HAVE to live with you) e.g, bank statements/utilities/letters from the NHS/tenancy agreement etc.

louise.

Post by louise. » Wed Jun 17, 2015 8:53 pm

Thanks so much, this final bit is the bit i have been dreading. Out of the few years we have been together we have spent a lot of it apart, thanks to immigration, you spend hours on skype, trips to one another they not cheap , the emails we send account to thousands in one month alone to keep one another close! and the kids miss him. Just want to get this right first time, so we can finally be a family you know.

chaoclive
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by chaoclive » Wed Jun 17, 2015 8:57 pm

louise. wrote:Thanks so much, this final bit is the bit i have been dreading. Out of the few years we have been together we have spent a lot of it apart, thanks to immigration, you spend hours on skype, trips to one another they not cheap , the emails we send account to thousands in one month alone to keep one another close! and the kids miss him. Just want to get this right first time, so we can finally be a family you know.
I don't think it will be too hard. Don't stress just yet!

louise.

Post by louise. » Wed Jun 17, 2015 9:01 pm

I will try not too. But one step at a a time hey :) will let you know once my renunciation come through , i was told by cashiers when i made payment that they have already sent my Irish passport back to me . That was posted yesterday. So fingers crossed not long to go.

Have a lovely evening :)

chaoclive
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by chaoclive » Wed Jun 17, 2015 9:08 pm

louise. wrote:I will try not too. But one step at a a time hey :) will let you know once my renunciation come through , i was told by cashiers when i made payment that they have already sent my Irish passport back to me . That was posted yesterday. So fingers crossed not long to go.

Have a lovely evening :)
Good! At least it's on the way :):)

louise.

Post by louise. » Thu Jun 18, 2015 10:40 pm

I have been reading though the EEA forum whch has panicked me even more :( however chin up as they say.

I am rather confused to something, I have copied the bit im referring too below.
You must show that your EEA family member has a permanent right of residence or is one of the following if they’ve been in the UK for more than 3 months:

financially independent, eg bank statements
Your family member must have full health insurance (comprehensive sickness insurance) if they’re studying or financially independent.

Do i need health insurance? and do i need to supply bank statements? stupid question but what is financially independent in this circumstance? :?

louise.

Post by louise. » Sun Jul 26, 2015 8:18 pm

Update , still waiting :( seems thats all i have been doing for the best part of a year. Renunciation application received 5th may , payment declined then taken mid june, As i enclosed a pre paid envelope for the return of my Irish passport they took that as lets send this back now. So end of June they sent back BOTH of my passports with a cover letter thanking me for my application for British citizenship :!: On the bottom of that letter it said documents enclosed, British passport and Irish passport hmm surely that should have made someone think there and then... You could probably imagine my face.... I called the only number i have the cashiers as i was no way going to wait for a email response , the cashiers basically said "oh its a error dont worry about it and laughed it off saying besides British citizenship is 1000 pounds so you have paid for renunciation, its because we mainly deal with British citizenship, someone obviously didnt pay much attention when sending letter"... my heart sank with those words, im thinking great noone is paying attention. Anyway they said not to worry the renunciation application is in and they would have took a copy of my Irish passport before sending it back, however im like but you need my british passport , so at my expense sent back BOTH passports via special delivery so they cant come back to me saying we haven't got your documents.. And here we are over 4 weeks later and approaching 3 months on the 5th august... drained is the word i feel.

chaoclive
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by chaoclive » Sun Jul 26, 2015 9:02 pm

louise. wrote:Update , still waiting :( seems thats all i have been doing for the best part of a year. Renunciation application received 5th may , payment declined then taken mid june, As i enclosed a pre paid envelope for the return of my Irish passport they took that as lets send this back now. So end of June they sent back BOTH of my passports with a cover letter thanking me for my application for British citizenship :!: On the bottom of that letter it said documents enclosed, British passport and Irish passport hmm surely that should have made someone think there and then... You could probably imagine my face.... I called the only number i have the cashiers as i was no way going to wait for a email response , the cashiers basically said "oh its a error dont worry about it and laughed it off saying besides British citizenship is 1000 pounds so you have paid for renunciation, its because we mainly deal with British citizenship, someone obviously didnt pay much attention when sending letter"... my heart sank with those words, im thinking great noone is paying attention. Anyway they said not to worry the renunciation application is in and they would have took a copy of my Irish passport before sending it back, however im like but you need my british passport , so at my expense sent back BOTH passports via special delivery so they cant come back to me saying we haven't got your documents.. And here we are over 4 weeks later and approaching 3 months on the 5th august... drained is the word i feel.
OMG! They are a nightmare. I wouldn't worry about it for the moment. You have done all you can do just now. Just wait for the response now. It won't be long now!

louise.

Post by louise. » Sun Jul 26, 2015 9:04 pm

Hi Chaoclive good to hear from you .

Oh i hope your right . Every day when the postman comes i hope its my renunciation thats back.

chaoclive
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by chaoclive » Sun Jul 26, 2015 9:09 pm

louise. wrote:Hi Chaoclive good to hear from you .

Oh i hope your right . Every day when the postman comes i hope its my renunciation thats back.
Don't worry. It's in process :) Some will take longer (due to 'lack of payment details' etc) but it will come through in the end!

Might as well get everything else ready for the EEA FP in the mean time :)

louise.

Post by louise. » Sun Jul 26, 2015 10:04 pm

Hi Chaoclive i have held off sending everything to my husband as im not sure if they would want my most recent payslip? I prob sound silly...i have got all my payslips for last 2 years until this month plus letter confirming my employment which also confirms date i started and my hours of 16 and states it a perm contract, if i send all that to my husband and the renunciation comes in august would they request that payslip? or should i courier my docs as soon as my renunciation is through?

May i ask did you get any early indication of when your application was processed like email / call. Or was it random through post.

:)

mgb

Post by mgb » Sun Jul 26, 2015 11:06 pm

I have a question.
What is the sense for a US citizen to apply for a family permit?
A US citizen has the right to enter the UK anyway via his passport.

chaoclive
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by chaoclive » Mon Jul 27, 2015 11:12 pm

louise. wrote:Hi Chaoclive i have held off sending everything to my husband as im not sure if they would want my most recent payslip? I prob sound silly...i have got all my payslips for last 2 years until this month plus letter confirming my employment which also confirms date i started and my hours of 16 and states it a perm contract, if i send all that to my husband and the renunciation comes in august would they request that payslip? or should i courier my docs as soon as my renunciation is through?

May i ask did you get any early indication of when your application was processed like email / call. Or was it random through post.

:)
I think posting the docs would be fine when the renunciation is through, you'll be able to send it all at the one time. However, you might save a little money if you were to send some in advance though (if you don't have to pay for a fast courier service)? [Just a thought]

You would definitely want to keep some copies just in case of anything getting lost in the post.

I didn't get any notification of when my renunciation was processed. It just arrived in the post out of the blue!