ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

50K ok for 7 yrs exp( in London)?

Employers looking for workers, people looking for employers: Get connected here.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

ThirdWorldTraveller
Member of Standing

50K ok for 7 yrs exp( in London)?

Post by ThirdWorldTraveller » Thu Feb 07, 2008 10:45 am

Hi All,
I'm currently in switzerland, and earning equvalant of GBP 36K + a company home. I'm trying to relocate to London with a new job. The Problem is that I don't get an offer more than 50k in london. Now i know that 50K is just ok to live in London, and once my wife get a job, it'll be fine, but on the job market perspective, is it ok to have this salary with 7 yrs of exp in .Net technology?

Gurus, please enlighten me.
Third World Traveller

olisun
Diamond Member

Re: 50K ok for 7 yrs exp( in London)?

Post by olisun » Thu Feb 07, 2008 12:33 pm

HSMP_maybe wrote:Now i know that 50K is just ok to live in London
Do you plan to live in a hotel in London?

ThirdWorldTraveller
Member of Standing

Post by ThirdWorldTraveller » Thu Feb 07, 2008 2:14 pm

I plan to live in a two bedroomed apartment somewhere in north london.
But my question is more from professional perspective-
Is getting 50K is ok with 7yrs exp in .Net?
Third World Traveller

tvn_ramesh
Diamond Member

CTC - Net take home

Post by tvn_ramesh » Thu Feb 07, 2008 4:54 pm

Professionally you need to compare the opportunities you will get being in swiss or in uk, 50K in .NET with 7yrs is not a bad though i will not be able to give the actual range for that field n experience..

It would be also good for you to calculate the net take home you will get in Swiss n London vs the cost of living where u spend...

wait for the seniors to revert back on this.. good luck anyway

ThirdWorldTraveller
Member of Standing

Re: CTC - Net take home

Post by ThirdWorldTraveller » Thu Feb 07, 2008 9:55 pm

tvn_ramesh wrote:Professionally you need to compare the opportunities you will get being in swiss or in uk, 50K in .NET with 7yrs is not a bad though i will not be able to give the actual range for that field n experience..

It would be also good for you to calculate the net take home you will get in Swiss n London vs the cost of living where u spend...

wait for the seniors to revert back on this.. good luck anyway
Thanks Ramesh,
Take home comes at 29K. I did a cost comparision, and although cost of living London is slightly higher than cost of living in a sleepy swiss town, but finally its ok to live in London. But I was just trying to understand the market here for my kind of skill and experience. Worth to mention, I dont have any financial domain experience to cash in.
Third World Traveller

herts
Member of Standing

Post by herts » Fri Feb 08, 2008 4:51 pm

Hello hsmp maybe,
As you are from switzerland, can I ask you which is the best place for tourist there. I am thinking of going there in summer.

ThirdWorldTraveller
Member of Standing

Post by ThirdWorldTraveller » Fri Feb 08, 2008 5:56 pm

herts wrote:Hello hsmp maybe,
As you are from switzerland, can I ask you which is the best place for tourist there. I am thinking of going there in summer.
Zermatt/Matterorn and Davos/st Moriz if you are after skiing and/or other winter sports( good snow even in summer). Common Tourist attractions are Jungfrau, titlis, Rhine falls, Golden Panorama train journey etc. Among the cities Zurich is bustling, Geneva is peaceful. Lausanne: good nightlife. Town where I live, somewhere near french swiss border never really wakes up. :-(
Third World Traveller

philgeorge999

Post by philgeorge999 » Sat Feb 09, 2008 10:14 am

HSMP_maybe wrote:I plan to live in a two bedroomed apartment somewhere in north london.

50K is about the most you will ever get in London as a permanent employee software developer, unless you work in finance. To get more, become a manager, move to finance or do contracting.

WorkPermitIssues

Post by WorkPermitIssues » Sat Feb 09, 2008 1:40 pm

It's a decent salary :)

ThirdWorldTraveller
Member of Standing

tahnks for confirming

Post by ThirdWorldTraveller » Sat Feb 09, 2008 4:39 pm

Ok..This is what I wanted to make sure..that this is a decent one, in terms of my experience( IT non-finance 7 yrs). Thanks guys.
Third World Traveller

thirdwave
Member of Standing

Re: tahnks for confirming

Post by thirdwave » Sat Feb 09, 2008 11:00 pm

HSMP_maybe wrote:Ok..This is what I wanted to make sure..that this is a decent one, in terms of my experience( IT non-finance 7 yrs). Thanks guys.
HSMP maybe, on 50k you'd probably take home circa 2800 after deductions.Add to that the housing costs in London and the general quality of life (or rather, the lack of it) in this country, I would suggest that you stay put in CH. Having been there a few times, I would love to move to Switzerland but the language barrier is a major deterrent.

ThirdWorldTraveller
Member of Standing

Re: tahnks for confirming

Post by ThirdWorldTraveller » Mon Feb 11, 2008 8:35 am

thirdwave wrote:
HSMP_maybe wrote:Ok..This is what I wanted to make sure..that this is a decent one, in terms of my experience( IT non-finance 7 yrs). Thanks guys.
I would suggest that you stay put in CH. Having been there a few times, I would love to move to Switzerland but the language barrier is a major deterrent.
I would have been happily stayed here, if I got the visa extension, but could not make it with my pathetic lingustic skill in both De and Fr. Hence I settled for Uk, where I have been before.
Third World Traveller

rsathish

Post by rsathish » Mon Feb 11, 2008 6:21 pm

i know a guy with 3 yrs exp from India, in .Net getting was offered £30k and he negotiated to £35k. he is working in health sector i guess. I believe there was a demand few months back, hope it the same now too.

Try to ask for more. the consultant job is to lessen the salary and thereby get a commission from the Co. for the saving he had done. Before, negotiating try quoting or support ur higher salary quote with other similar .Net profiles, which you can source from the web easily. (cwjobs.co.uk?)

The consultant may use the last arrow from his quiver, "No UK experience", tell him go %$£$ himself - .Net is the same everywhere, the only exp reqd is that u need to get used these kind of people in UK.

But, dont be too greedy and you may find yourself out of the market.

As for as £50k p.a. is concerned - are u joking??? yes you can live comfortably. Try to move to financial services if u can.

That was my share of experience. Thanks.
HSMP_maybe wrote:I plan to live in a two bedroomed apartment somewhere in north london.