ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Chances of finding a job if one is not authorised to work

Employers looking for workers, people looking for employers: Get connected here.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

verityrose
Newly Registered

Chances of finding a job if one is not authorised to work

Post by verityrose » Fri Dec 17, 2010 10:20 am

Hi all,

I really need your advice.
I studied in London for 4 years and then worked for a UK firm for 1.5 years afterwards. I was on a student visa, then PSW. My company wanted me to stay and tried applying for a sponsorship licence but was rejected, hence I had to leave earlier this year otherwise I would have been here illegally.
I want to continue working in London, but since I don't have ANY visa how can i get a job here? Are employers willing to even interview me knowing they have to apply for a work permit for me? Most jobs require you to already be authorised to live and work here before applying. I've been advised that by agencies and employers. i've read other posts that some others have been successful, but I suppose they are of an executive level and their expertise would be more of a bargaining tool.
Please if you have any comments or thoughts at all would be really helpful.
Thank you.

Thanks.

kenfrapin

Post by kenfrapin » Fri Dec 17, 2010 11:01 am

Sorry but there is nothing that can be done. If you dont have the right to work here on your own, which means a Tier 1 Visa or related, then neither can you attend most interviews nor can you get a confirmed job offer.

No companies in the UK will ever get a work permit done for you so that's not an option to consider. Your ONLY way is to get yourself a Tier1 Visa else join a company in your home country that sends its employees to UK for work.

All the best
KP

mulderpf
Diamond Member

Post by mulderpf » Fri Dec 17, 2010 11:44 am

Firstly, what you intend on doing is illegal and that is not good. As an illegal worker, regardless of the industry, you will be up for all kinds of exploitation by your potential employers with very little support in the country.

You will be living with the daily fear of being exposed, not only by your employers, but also by friends and you will become suspicious of everyone. You will end up living in the shadows - getting credit will be difficult, finding new places to stay will be difficult, getting bank accounts will be difficult. Imagine being the victim of a crime and you are too scared to report it to the police for the fear of being exposed. Imagine having to go back home for either a family event or family emergency...

All the reasons it would be good to live in the UK would be invalidated by the fact that you will be working illegally.

If you were to be caught out and deported - you will then be in a more sticky situation where most countries won't allow you in (legally). Once you are illegal it will become a cycle which is really difficult to escape.

This is a very slippery slope and it will be very easy to get caught up in a cycle which you will find it very hard to get yourself out of.

It might seem like a small thing and that you will make amends later on, but you need to seriously consider all the repercussions of what you want to do.

verityrose
Newly Registered

Post by verityrose » Fri Dec 17, 2010 12:03 pm

Oh I'm not doing anything illegal at this point or intending to, i'm still in Singapore and left before my PSW expired. i was simply wondering if I coudl return to work on the basis that I didnt have any work permit and whether it would be difficult for an employer to give a work permit.
Thanks so much for your input, i thoroughly understand!

mulderpf wrote:Firstly, what you intend on doing is illegal and that is not good. As an illegal worker, regardless of the industry, you will be up for all kinds of exploitation by your potential employers with very little support in the country.

You will be living with the daily fear of being exposed, not only by your employers, but also by friends and you will become suspicious of everyone. You will end up living in the shadows - getting credit will be difficult, finding new places to stay will be difficult, getting bank accounts will be difficult. Imagine being the victim of a crime and you are too scared to report it to the police for the fear of being exposed. Imagine having to go back home for either a family event or family emergency...

All the reasons it would be good to live in the UK would be invalidated by the fact that you will be working illegally.

If you were to be caught out and deported - you will then be in a more sticky situation where most countries won't allow you in (legally). Once you are illegal it will become a cycle which is really difficult to escape.

This is a very slippery slope and it will be very easy to get caught up in a cycle which you will find it very hard to get yourself out of.

It might seem like a small thing and that you will make amends later on, but you need to seriously consider all the repercussions of what you want to do.

verityrose
Newly Registered

Post by verityrose » Fri Dec 17, 2010 12:04 pm

Hi ken,

Just as I thought, i guess the only other way is to wait till i can get a Tier 1 visa!

thanks!

mulderpf
Diamond Member

Post by mulderpf » Fri Dec 17, 2010 12:18 pm

verityrose wrote:Oh I'm not doing anything illegal at this point or intending to, i'm still in Singapore and left before my PSW expired. i was simply wondering if I coudl return to work on the basis that I didnt have any work permit and whether it would be difficult for an employer to give a work permit.
Thanks so much for your input, i thoroughly understand!
Don't worry, I got that you were just looking at options rather than seriously considering something! Good luck with whatever the future holds for you!

kenfrapin

Post by kenfrapin » Sat Dec 18, 2010 8:49 am

verityrose wrote:Hi ken,

Just as I thought, i guess the only other way is to wait till i can get a Tier 1 visa!

thanks!
Yup, thats the best option going forward so dont worry too much until you get your Tier 1 sorted out. Once done, post any questions on job prospects etc but only AFTER doing some initial research yourself :-)

KP