ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Feb 2009 Job search experience and tips

Employers looking for workers, people looking for employers: Get connected here.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

bharat100
Newly Registered

Re: Feb 2009 Job search experience and tips

Post by bharat100 » Tue Mar 31, 2009 11:09 am

kratosvastik wrote:Hi,

I have been a silent viewer of this forum for quite some time now. So have decided to contribute a bit.

I arrived in London on 28th Jan. Absolutely no problem at the airport. They did not ask for my XRAY or any other weird questions. In short even less hassle than getting off in India.

Now we all know recession is here. My advise is if you are not the adventurous type and a family man with dependents on your current job, do not come here right now.

I came because I wanted to be here, recession or not. Knowing I could have a hard time finding a job here, I started freelancing work and can at least earn enough for my rent in the little time I devote to it, Rest of the time will be for job search.

If things go really bad for the next two months, I will take up some partime/full time supermarkets kind of job anywhere, just to get along. The point is I am enjoying my stay here even with the cold and wetness :)

I am a j2ee/atg developer with over four and half years of experience. I have a couple of certifications with pretty good marks, worth advertising in the resume.

Resume is important. Please don't shy away from showing what you did, how it benefited, your strong points.

Now a day ago, I reformatted, added more details of my past work experience, in general "professionalized" the resume spending a good half day on it and put it on some job sites and begun applying for jobs also. Providing a cover letter for each is a bit of pain.

I got a call for working in Egypt. then Amsterdam. Both of them really pushing me to go to those places, sponsoring my visa and everything. I had to refuse as I don't want to be out of UK much. The Amsterdam guy said that my resume is really great and will be on the lookout for me. They both did not ask me if i have applied anywhere else, or other stupid questions.

I just now got a call from a consultant , he asked me if i applied anywhere bla bla get back to me. Its easy to filter these ones out :). I just told him I have just started applying.

While on the lookout, do try to keep your travel to a minimum here as its expensive and also food can be managed very well under 4 pounds per day. Its great for non vegetarians :).

My humble opinion is: for the long run, its not the money you will stay here for, take all this risk right now only if you can really appreciate in your own way or reasons, the life here.

I will keep this thread posted on my success and failures both. Please feel free to ask me any questions about steps after you get the visa and stuff as they are still fresh in my mind.

Try to be positive always :)
Hy

Thanx for sharing your nice Experience mate.

i would like to get one help from you.

I need a good format of CV. (Uk Based format)

If you don’t mind then please send your own cv,

You can mail me, at bharat_vaidya100@yahyoo.com

Will wait for you mail

kesavasankar
Newly Registered

Post by kesavasankar » Wed Apr 01, 2009 7:49 pm

Hey... I would be greatful, if i too get your resume... U must be knowing the pain in searching a job. Please send it to
kesavasankar@gmail.com

Tnx in advance.

kavi14
Newly Registered

Post by kavi14 » Sun Apr 05, 2009 4:04 pm

kesavasankar wrote:Hey... I would be greatful, if i too get your resume... U must be knowing the pain in searching a job. Please send it to
kesavasankar@gmail.com

Tnx in advance.
I am also looking for nice CV format, please send it to kaviarasan14@rediffmail.com if you have one

Thanks,
Kavi

dsanvi
Newly Registered

Post by dsanvi » Mon Apr 13, 2009 7:21 am

kratosvastik wrote:Hi Everyone,

Go to iprofile.org please! Its the template I followed.
Hi

thanx for your valueble information, if u dont mind can you plz send me your CV.It will be very helpful for me, my email id is seema.dhingra77@gmail.com

sashi1979

Post by sashi1979 » Fri May 08, 2009 6:30 am

this kratovistak is a fake person i think. he has never returned to post after that and his claims are all quite dubious to believe. getting so many offers in as many weeks, here the ground reality is entirely opposite....

what a crap of a guy this idiot is.

nitboy123
Newly Registered

Post by nitboy123 » Sun May 10, 2009 6:28 pm

i got fooled by this karatastok too.... he's sure a mindless person - a simple sadist who is probably laughing at our expense... what does it take for a mental to write nonsense and see the pain suffered by others ?

i was very encouraged by his writing for some weeks. now i dont trust someone who says that there is an IT market here.

yeah there was probably 1 year back i might say, infact my friends also moved here last year and are nicely settled. i hold much better brain bench scores and those guys dont even understand c++ basics... what to say ?

i think its all time. 2009 is a bad time for IT in the UK... may be 2010 will be better. i dont mind waiting 1 year.

mackeyme
Newly Registered

Post by mackeyme » Thu Jul 16, 2009 10:41 am

Hello kratosvastik,

I have read your post, say 20 to 40 times. I see myself in you when I initially started searching for Jobs. Now after Five years I want to get back to the same enthu levels.

This is my first post in this forum after reading various of these from past 10 months.

I applied for T1 GM in October and got it in Nov 2008. I gave the arrival date as Jan 2009 which is printed in visa.

And now for the past 6.5 months I am waiting for the market because I am a embedded and telecom Professional with 5yrs of exp. As I read through your posts I see no bar if you are intelligent to convince the interviewer. But the issue is how many calls you get?

I am working for a #2 service company of India with a worst salary package.

Finally I decided to quit and come to Uk in September, but due to other circumstances I am planning in November.

I have few friends and relatives their who are ready to support.

It doesn't make sense for me to shift App programming on .Net or Java now. I am a pure C++ and telecom guy with a PG.

I ask a question to you, what would be your suggestion?

~Manoj