ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Getting a job i the food industry

Employers looking for workers, people looking for employers: Get connected here.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

tryafrica

Getting a job i the food industry

Post by tryafrica » Tue May 04, 2004 2:16 pm

Colleagues

my wife has been in the Uk for eigt months now on an ancestrial permit, she has first class degree in food science and technology and some 1 and half years non uk experience. she has gone for several interviews lined up for her by agents but has not been able to make a brake through as yet. does anyone has some advice on any other ways to get her first job in her field. thi is the reason why i am hesitant to apply for a dependant work permit. we feel the immigration officer will deny us because of the kind of job that she is currently doing earning about 15k per anum.

Please help.

Kayalami
Diamond Member

Post by Kayalami » Tue May 04, 2004 3:58 pm

1. My understanding is that this is very competitive field with too many people chasing rather few jobs - the demise of the UK food based manufacturing industry hasn't helped either. You will typically find people enhancing their prospects through postgraduate studies. Your wife needs to consider opportunites beyond the standard 'food' arena - has she considered the confectionery industry? She should also consider the retail market giants - Tesco, M&S etc who have large buying departments. She just has to hang in there and be persistent - she may also have to consider relocating - the north of England as well as Scotland potentially has more opportunities due to a larger manufacturing base. She may also need to check out the relevant food processing association on say google - perhaps there are some regulatory requirements she needs to fufil. Undertaking some food hygiene courses will boost her CV and re-inject some confidence.
2. If she is earning 15K then that's good enough - go ahead an apply for a WP dependent visa.

Good Luck

tryafrica

Post by tryafrica » Wed May 05, 2004 8:23 am

thanks, i will ask her to google, apply for post grad courses and widen her serch area northwards.
Last edited by tryafrica on Fri May 07, 2004 11:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

tvt

Post by tvt » Fri May 07, 2004 9:04 am

Is her degree from Zimbabwe? If yes, she should try to hide this drawback by taking some professional courses in the UK.
-----------------------------------
<<<N. N. - G. N.>>>

Chess
Diamond Member

Post by Chess » Fri May 07, 2004 11:28 am

tnavon wrote:Is her degree from Zimbabwe? If yes, she should try to hide this drawback by taking some professional courses in the UK.
TVT,

I would not necessarily refer the Zimbabwe degree as a drawback. The Education system in Zimbabwe is comparable or possibly even better than that in the UK.

Dont forget Zim only got indepedence only 24 years ago!!!

However your suggestion of augmenting the Zim degree with a UK postgrad course is a very good idea
Where there is a will there is a way.

tvt

Post by tvt » Fri May 07, 2004 12:13 pm

Chess,

What really matters is not the actual quality of Zim education but the perceived quality by potential employers.
-----------------------------------
<<<N. N. - G. N.>>>

Chess
Diamond Member

Post by Chess » Fri May 07, 2004 1:08 pm

tnavon wrote:Chess,

What really matters is not the actual quality of Zim education but the perceived quality by potential employers.

Yep, point taken....

...however, it seems that when considering ethnic background, tryafrica's wife appears to be what you would classify as ' White - other'. Surely if she cant use that to her advantage then 'no degree' in this world will change her employability.

Employment in the UK can be really difficult at times for a foreign national without UK experience and/or education!!!...

....one of my mates on HSMP who is a CHARTERED ACCOUNTANT - Fully ACCA qualified, has had to go for a temporary two month job (annual pro-rata £16,000p.a) just in order to make a start!!!!...things are not that easy out there!!!
Where there is a will there is a way.

tryafrica

Post by tryafrica » Wed May 26, 2004 9:24 am

Chess

The heavens have answered, my wife finaly got a job, her first offer was as microbiologist with a consulting firm that contracted her to a dairy firm, then just on monday she got the job which she had the second interview as a Ouality Assurance Auditor,

Thank you very much for the support, now its the hsmp wait for me or to go for a dependent permit using a certified copy of the marriage certificate.

Thanks