ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Getting married to british partner awaiting divorce.

Employers looking for workers, people looking for employers: Get connected here.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

HelpMe753869
Newly Registered

Getting married to british partner awaiting divorce.

Post by HelpMe753869 » Wed Apr 09, 2014 12:35 pm

Hello,
I came to UK in 2007 on student visa. I've renewed the student visa and never worked beyond allocated hours and always paid tax and NI.
I started a relationship with a British woman older than my age in 2009.
We have been together in a relationship all this time since then.
I've become a part of her family with her parents and kids accepting me.
She earns beyond the min req for visa application.
She unfortunately has been awaiting divorce from an non-cooperating husband all these years. He has started to drip feed the necessary papers, but is very slow. so i believe the divorce should be through sooner than later.

My current visa runs out in the coming months.
Is there a way that i can legally stay with my girlfriend while awaiting the divorce?
Few months back, immigration officers had come to check on me at my work, and they left once they were handed my visa and contract copy. But My company decided not to employ me so my girlfriend has been supporting me financially.

Any advice would be really appreciated. I'd like to stay within the law. As i've always strived to do all these many years.
It is just a situation that is so entwined in regulations that it seems impossible feat to just live out a life with someone you love so much.

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Re: Getting married to british partner awaiting divorce.

Post by Wanderer » Wed Apr 09, 2014 12:49 pm

On the face of it she seems to have lived apart from the husband for over 5 years so can instigate the divorce without her husband even knowing.
You have lived apart for more than 5 years

Living apart for more than 5 years is usually enough to get a divorce, even if your husband or wife disagrees with the divorce.
So start there, I suspect you'll have to return home and apply from there for a Fiance visa or a spouse visa if you marry.

Are you still studying?
An chéad stad eile Stáisiún Uí Chonghaile....

HelpMe753869
Newly Registered

Post by HelpMe753869 » Wed Apr 09, 2014 1:00 pm

Thank you for your reply Wanderer.
I ran out of money and could not continue my education for over a year as fees for international students can be 3-5 times the normal.
She had the nisi all these years, but he isn't giving the absolute based on splitting the finances and holding finances as a trump card to exercise his control over her life.

I came accross the following website that i thought might buy me just enough time to get this sorted, but not sure if i actually fit in.
https://www.gov.uk/remain-in-uk-family/eligibility

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by Wanderer » Wed Apr 09, 2014 1:09 pm

HelpMe753869 wrote:Thank you for your reply Wanderer.
I ran out of money and could not continue my education for over a year as fees for international students can be 3-5 times the normal.
She had the nisi all these years, but he isn't giving the absolute based on splitting the finances and holding finances as a trump card to exercise his control over her life.

I came accross the following website that i thought might buy me just enough time to get this sorted, but not sure if i actually fit in.
https://www.gov.uk/remain-in-uk-family/eligibility
If you are no longer studying your student visa is invalid so you are technically an overstayer now.
An chéad stad eile Stáisiún Uí Chonghaile....

HelpMe753869
Newly Registered

Post by HelpMe753869 » Wed Apr 09, 2014 2:00 pm

Aiming for something that many people take for granted...a relationship!!!
Sad that fighting to live with your loved ones is also a crime if you ain't born on the correct location of the planet!!!

So the future holds absolutely no hopes. It will shatter and kill us...but thats how it works isn't it.
Time to google up suicide!!
Don't worry UK, i will foresee the expenses, and UK won't be burdened by yet another immigrant. I've tried my best since i set my foot on this country, and will do so on my exit too..

Anyways, thank you so much for your help.