ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

london

Employers looking for workers, people looking for employers: Get connected here.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

PaulM

london

Post by PaulM » Thu Oct 11, 2007 2:42 pm

Hi I'm curious would a single guy be able to survive in London on 1500 GBP a month....What I want to do is get a studio apartment in Zone 2 at 500-650 pcm (does that sound plausable?) and then budget 100 for transport and 100 for food per month and then the rest for extra expenses and entertainment...Is this far fetched or doable?

Thanks
Paul

mym
Member of Standing

Re: london

Post by mym » Thu Oct 11, 2007 3:01 pm

Perfectly doable.
--
Mark Y-M
London

PaulM

Post by PaulM » Thu Oct 11, 2007 3:51 pm

Thank you for responding.

sakura
Diamond Member

Post by sakura » Fri Oct 12, 2007 1:09 pm

PaulM wrote:Hi I'm curious would a single guy be able to survive in London on 1500 GBP a month....What I want to do is get a studio apartment in Zone 2 at 500-650 pcm (does that sound plausable?) and then budget 100 for transport and 100 for food per month and then the rest for extra expenses and entertainment...Is this far fetched or doable?

Thanks
Paul
If it's after tax then that's great; if it's before tax then... :shock: good luck! Not that it isn't possible, but it'll be hard to save money.

mym
Member of Standing

Post by mym » Fri Oct 12, 2007 2:23 pm

sakura wrote:If it's after tax then that's great; if it's before tax then... :shock: good luck! Not that it isn't possible, but it'll be hard to save money.
Agreed. Find a house or flat share, much cheaper.
--
Mark Y-M
London

PaulM

Post by PaulM » Fri Oct 12, 2007 3:10 pm

thanks guys.

deepak_sachdev25
Newly Registered

answer and question

Post by deepak_sachdev25 » Sat Oct 13, 2007 9:47 am

hi there,
I would say it all depends on your nature of spending money and also depends on your job profile. are you from india or some place else. I could suggest you alternatives.

runie80
Member of Standing

Re: answer and question

Post by runie80 » Mon Oct 15, 2007 10:26 am

deepak_sachdev25 wrote:hi there,
I would say it all depends on your nature of spending money and also depends on your job profile. are you from india or some place else. I could suggest you alternatives.
Hi Deepak

Can you please let me know if you have any information on alternatives.

Is 600 pounds reasonable money to rent a room or studio for a couple ?
In any moment of decision, the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

global gypsy

Post by global gypsy » Wed Oct 17, 2007 9:22 pm

I would suggest you cook for yourself if you want to keep your costs low. Eating out in London is quite expensive.
Life is what happens when you are busy making other plans

sakura
Diamond Member

Re: answer and question

Post by sakura » Thu Oct 18, 2007 12:35 am

runie80 wrote:
deepak_sachdev25 wrote:hi there,
Hi Deepak

Can you please let me know if you have any information on alternatives.

Is 600 pounds reasonable money to rent a room or studio for a couple ?
In London? £600 can get you a studio, but for two people that's pretty cramped living. If you mean renting a room in a shared flat, the £600 is very reasonable (e.g. a 2 bed flat), but, as a couple, you don't want others to intrude in your space and private life. Try a studio if you're not too concerned about space, but I would go for a one-bedder myself. But that'll cost you like £700-1,000 pcm depending on which zone you live. Zones 2 and 3 are best, IMHO.

avjones
Diamond Member

Post by avjones » Thu Oct 18, 2007 9:06 am

If you want a flat with a bedroom, and separate living room, you could find that with no trouble for £600 - £700 a month in, for example, SE13 (Lewisham). That's zone 2, and has good overland trains to central London (Charing Cross, Waterloo East, London Bridge, Cannon Street, and Victoria).
I am not, and cannot, offer legal advice to particular people. I can only discuss general areas of immigration law.

People should always consider obtaining professional advice about their own particular circumstances.