ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Permanent till ILR/ Contracting when you are citizen????

Employers looking for workers, people looking for employers: Get connected here.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

crusador0408
Member of Standing

Permanent till ILR/ Contracting when you are citizen????

Post by crusador0408 » Mon Jun 17, 2013 2:00 pm

Hi,

Just wondering about the following to see if it holds any weight.

People (including few recruiters) seem to recommend going for contracts only after attaining british citizenship, why is that?

I think the reason mainly is for citizenship/ILR you will have to show income and for that you will have to submit more tax, is that why the above notion? Or You can still do contracting with usual style 20/22% tax bracket while having Tier1/ILR?

I don't need to know diff between contract/perms but more in relation to visa. Thanks for any input!
I have my ILR since march 2013, previously based on HSMP+Tier1 ext. All views are my own, am not a professional on immigration matters.

PaperPusher
Respected Guru

Re: Permanent till ILR/ Contracting when you are citizen????

Post by PaperPusher » Mon Jun 17, 2013 2:54 pm

crusador0408 wrote:Hi,

Just wondering about the following to see if it holds any weight.

People (including few recruiters) seem to recommend going for contracts only after attaining british citizenship, why is that?

I think the reason mainly is for citizenship/ILR you will have to show income and for that you will have to submit more tax, is that why the above notion? Or You can still do contracting with usual style 20/22% tax bracket while having Tier1/ILR?

I don't need to know diff between contract/perms but more in relation to visa. Thanks for any input!
Some possibilities:

They are clueless about people who have limited leave that allows them to do any work in the UK

They know that Tier 1G people need to a certain level of salary and the option of showing a low salary with lots of expenses is not suitable.

The contract involves getting security clearance of some sort and this needs five years' residence in the UK in most cases, and British citizenship too.

crusador0408
Member of Standing

Post by crusador0408 » Wed Jun 19, 2013 6:53 pm

Thank you . however couple of more points that I need answering...

- Talking about contract jobs...If you are on this visa and for sake of showing high salary, (i.e. fulfilling citizenship requirements) during citizenship application, do we have to pay high taxes as well ?

- Usually I see contractors pay around 20% tax compared to higher tax bracket for perm employment.
I have my ILR since march 2013, previously based on HSMP+Tier1 ext. All views are my own, am not a professional on immigration matters.

varghesejim
India

Post by varghesejim » Mon Jul 15, 2013 1:42 pm

crusador0408 wrote:Thank you . however couple of more points that I need answering...

- Talking about contract jobs...If you are on this visa and for sake of showing high salary, (i.e. fulfilling citizenship requirements) during citizenship application, do we have to pay high taxes as well ?

- Usually I see contractors pay around 20% tax compared to higher tax bracket for perm employment.
For visa extension, only your income is a criteria, not the taxes you pay. So, you still can extend the visa on contract.