ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

searching jobs from outside UK

Employers looking for workers, people looking for employers: Get connected here.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

sikouanastreet
Newly Registered

searching jobs from outside UK

Post by sikouanastreet » Tue Feb 26, 2008 12:46 pm

Hi

I received my HSMP approval 2 months back. I am currently living outside the UK.

I am trying to search for job for last 2 months from outside UK. Not getting many calls this way. I can travel to the UK if an interview is scheduled.

What would be my chances in getting a job in this way?

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Re: searching jobs from outside UK

Post by Wanderer » Tue Feb 26, 2008 12:56 pm

sikouanastreet wrote:Hi

I received my HSMP approval 2 months back. I am currently living outside the UK.

I am trying to search for job for last 2 months from outside UK. Not getting many calls this way. I can travel to the UK if an interview is scheduled.

What would be my chances in getting a job in this way?
Not great, candidates are usually wanted there and then. Try for a UK sim and use that in ur mobile, and be prepared for a quick flight. Gets expensive tho, the only real way is physically be here...
An chéad stad eile Stáisiún Uí Chonghaile....

coronat
Newly Registered

Post by coronat » Tue Feb 26, 2008 2:19 pm

Agreed, spent a year trying to punt my CV from south africa without result, When I actually came to the UK my first attempt 4 years ago took 5 weeks to land a job without really trying, last attempt managed to get 3 job offers within 6 weeks, just save some money and make sure you can survive in the UK for a minimum of 2 months while looking for a job (travel to and from interviews is Extremely expensive, so budget on about 150 pounds a week for travel)

sikouanastreet
Newly Registered

Post by sikouanastreet » Wed Feb 27, 2008 10:43 am

If someone reading this has done the job search sitting outside UK, please post your experiences.

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by Wanderer » Wed Feb 27, 2008 1:35 pm

sikouanastreet wrote:If someone reading this has done the job search sitting outside UK, please post your experiences.
You mean you don't like the answers so far!!

Get on the plane man!
An chéad stad eile Stáisiún Uí Chonghaile....

sikouanastreet
Newly Registered

Post by sikouanastreet » Wed Feb 27, 2008 1:46 pm

Wanderer wrote:
You mean you don't like the answers so far!!

Get on the plane man!
Not about liking or not liking. I was looking for comments from more people.

Anyway... I am now thinking of seriously when to fly into UK.

reincarnation

Post by reincarnation » Wed Feb 27, 2008 2:59 pm

sikouanastreet wrote:
Anyway... I am now thinking of seriously when to fly into UK.
That should have been yesterday ;)

msharm4
Newly Registered

My experience

Post by msharm4 » Wed Feb 27, 2008 5:01 pm

Since you are looking for experience, I can share mine. I have been trying for months and I can assure you that its not going to happen from outside the UK. Recruiters and employers are extremely cautious. I hardly get a response (mainly rejects) and I've been told by many recruiters that no matter how good my experience/qualifications might be, they just cant process my application if i'm outside the UK! I want to travel but I cannot do immediately due to personal reasons. Also remember, with the new rules, the employers can be fined GBP 10K or jail if they dont hire legal candidates. That pretty much puts all chances of outsiders in the gutter.

So there you go. Get on a plane, fast!

ashishashah
India

Post by ashishashah » Wed Feb 27, 2008 7:35 pm

You wont get a job in UK unless u r in country...Simple..Infact now a days it is becoming to get a job even while in UK...There are a lot of local and EU candidates available

namastelondon

Post by namastelondon » Thu Feb 28, 2008 4:29 am

Hi
same here
I am also searching job from bangalore but without luck. I have been asked by most consultant to come to Uk and contact them 1 week before arrival.It also depends upon skillset. I work in C,C++ and windows. One of my friend who works in siebel technologies in bangalore got two jobs sitting here itself.
Anyway i am coming To Uk in april 1st week.

Happy

ThirdWorldTraveller
Member of Standing

My plan

Post by ThirdWorldTraveller » Wed Mar 05, 2008 3:10 pm

sikouanastreet wrote:If someone reading this has done the job search sitting outside UK, please post your experiences.
I'm searching Job from Switzerland, and till now its been ok. I have been interviewed in three companies, called for final interview for two of them in London. I landed in the morning, grab a sandwitch between interviews, and by midnight I'm back at my sleepy town of Suisse.

P.S Got offer from one of them. Offer figure is less than what I expect. Expecting some news from other.

P.S 2: Will start another round of CV pushing starting from next week. Taking a snowy break
Third World Traveller

ajaycheriyan
Newly Registered

Post by ajaycheriyan » Fri Mar 07, 2008 6:39 pm

my wife, planning to come by april end from India getting a lot of calls from companies and consultants. But nothing finalising probably bcoz of the reason that she is not here, or her travel is too long to finalise interview

daisy_ktm
BANNED

Post by daisy_ktm » Thu Apr 17, 2008 9:55 pm

FRIENDS,

NO JOB HERE..LETS BE CLEAR...GO BACK TO HOME COUNTRY REQUEST PREVIOUS HR MANAGER TO GIVE BACK INDIAN JOB.I THINK THATS THE ONLY WAY...

THINK TWICE OR THEICW BEFORE QUITING YOUR JOBS...1000S OF HSMP
HOLDERS STARTED WORKING IN SUPER MARKETS & COFEEE SHOPS..
I KNOW AT LEAST 10 OF MY FRIENDS IN COFEE SHOPS, CLEANING TABLES. THEY ARE FIGHTING FOR THAT JOB WITH EASTERN EUROPIANS WHO GOT A DEFINITE EDGE OVER INDIANS..

SO EVEN THAT IS NOT EASY

NO IT JOB HERE AT ALL..

itsmesuraj
Newly Registered

Insecurity at its best !!!

Post by itsmesuraj » Tue Apr 22, 2008 8:39 am

hey there.......Daisy

Its really a pity you feel that way about the job scene in the UK...I have loads of success stories, so please stop generalizing and posting such discouraging comments on a forum like this for crying out loud !!.... :evil:

All of us at this forum are living with a hope for a better future for ourselves and our families. If you cannot post anything constructive, please waste your time somewhere else.

Just to clarify your point that Eastern Europeans having an edge over indians, please give an example of one of your loser friends or dont quote it at all......

stop crapping such forums n catch some fun somewhere else.... :twisted:

yewhongwei79

Post by yewhongwei79 » Tue Apr 22, 2008 10:02 pm

I can share my experience, I am lucky for getting a job in UK when I was not physically here.

I am a IC-design engineer specializing in static timing analysis. I submitted my resume to various job sites in UK while I was still working in Intel back in my home country. I knew I would never took the risk to come to UK without any job offer, as I understand UK is very expensive to live, even for few months times of job hunting. It's also not worthwhile to give up your career in your home country for something unknown, unless you are very firm and you are a risk taker.

The deciding factor here is the demand. I was told by my HR manager, they decided to bring me over to UK because they couldn't find anybody working on this field. They truly admitted if they had found somebody for this field, my application would have been rejected. It is true that they would prefer to meet you F2F, so they asked me to fly over to UK, just for a 1 hour meet up before the final offer was made.

Another important factor is the job agent. They are the ones who will decide if your CV will go to the employers and this decision is made based on their calculation, if you are going to make them a deal.

So if you are involved in something which is quite common where the candidates can be found in UK locally, then you have to be prepared the chance might be slim. If you are doing something very special and unique, it is not impossible to get a job offer while you are not in UK.

pranjam

Post by pranjam » Fri May 02, 2008 7:38 pm

I got a few interviews set up from india got a UK sim and mentioned a Uk address on my cv the adress was that of a hostel I was planing to live when I actually came to UK.

It was expensive though ran a huge phone bill of Rs 7500 in 10 days :(

akira

Post by akira » Tue May 06, 2008 10:20 am

hi prajnam,
can i know where did u get Uk sim from...

pranjam

Post by pranjam » Sat May 10, 2008 9:17 pm

akira wrote:hi prajnam,
can i know where did u get Uk sim from...
try matrix

akira

Post by akira » Mon May 12, 2008 4:03 am

hi prajnam,
i have called matrix and tried there..but they say according to their rules i shouldn use Uk sim in india.i can only take the sim from here if I am travelling to Uk. Did you use matrix sim?

nysa
Newly Registered

Post by nysa » Mon May 12, 2008 5:36 pm

hi prajnam ,

did u not have incoming calls free from the UK to ur UK sim? i hav tried searching for some options too some global UK sim -provider gives u free incoming UK calls-facility - is this true or wud thr be some catch?,..wat about the various voip solutions-like the call forwarding options and stuff?

ashish2410
Newly Registered

looking for guidance

Post by ashish2410 » Tue May 13, 2008 5:22 am

hi,
I was told by my consultant that getting job by telephonic interview is tough so u should leave ur job and go to uk to search job. I dont have that high appitite for risk so After getting tier 1 how long one can stay in india and search UK job sitting here. I am linux device driver with networking domain experience of about 3 year and did Masters from IIT bombay.
thanks for all ur help
-ashish

hsmpinuk70
Member of Standing

Post by hsmpinuk70 » Tue May 13, 2008 4:31 pm

Worst case and hypothetical scenario - you can spend 2 years (if you have a 3 year visa) or 1 year (if you have a 2 year visa) outside UK.

Since you need to show 12 months earnings (in UK) when you apply for extension, you need to be here 1 year before your visa expires (assuming that you start working the day you arrive then :wink: ).

regards

friend_333

help in finding job

Post by friend_333 » Fri May 23, 2008 7:34 pm

Hi yewhongwei79

I am also working in VLSI domain ( Physical Design ) with 3 years exp and will get visa within 2 months . Can u tell some recruiters there which can help me

Regards
friend_333

FLO

Post by FLO » Thu Jun 12, 2008 2:33 pm

Nysa,
I thought of the call divert/forwarding option too. U can tell a friend to get a sim for u in UK and divert all voice calls to ur home country sim. This may mean u have to maintain the UK sim thru your friend as there must be credit on your sim before calls can be diverted from it.