ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

SOS Please!!!

Employers looking for workers, people looking for employers: Get connected here.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

khan
Newly Registered

SOS Please!!!

Post by khan » Thu Apr 22, 2004 4:05 am

Hi all,

One of my friend went on HSMP to UK in April 05, 2004.She is having very difficulty getting a job there in Sheffield. She has got 8 years experience in Marketing jobs in Pakistan. Now she is very frustrated and according to her if she is unable to get a job on the pay scale she mentioned in HSMP form, she has to come back to Pakistan. She is planning to come back soon as she is only getting odd jobs. She has done MSC and MBA.

Can anyone of you please help her finding a job related to her career.

Thanks
Khan

Cosmopol
Member of Standing

Post by Cosmopol » Thu Apr 22, 2004 4:55 am

khan - I'm just a little surprised your friend is getting frustrated so quickly: it's been barely 2 weeks since she arrived. It's not unusual to spend a few months in order to find a "suitable" position in a depressed labour market even for those who's been resident in the country for some time (=local experience). You may want to advise your friend to lower the expectations (not hope, though!) and start thinking of "B"plans - in case things don't go perfectly well for some time.

This Board is not per se a "search for jobs" place, so in that sense your "SOS" appeal is a little misplaced - I hope both you and her are utilizing other resources that are more appropriate for the task.

I'll remove the duplicate SOS post in the HSMP section, as that is designed for the applicants more than for job seekers. Hope you don't mind.

Good luck to your friend!

Chess
Diamond Member

Re: SOS Please!!!

Post by Chess » Thu Apr 22, 2004 8:39 am

One of my friend went on HSMP to UK in April 05, 2004.She is having very difficulty getting a job there in Sheffield. She has got 8 years experience in Marketing jobs in Pakistan. Now she is very frustrated and according to her if she is unable to get a job on the pay scale she mentioned in HSMP form,

The job market in all fields is quite competitive and Unless you are already working full-time in the UK and will be doing similar work if you are granted HSMP status, or your occupation is in a known shortage area you should carefully research the UK job market to make sure that you will find graduate level work.

Some fields like marketing are quite tricky.................

I remember when I was doing my undergrad in the UK, we had an 'open' day for summer jobs - marketting (I think it was BUNAC programme) however I was not to go to USA but was to do my 'sales/marketting) in the UK.

The product to be sold was 'aerial photographs' and this would involve day to day direct sales by knocking on peoples doors and trying to sell them these pretty photographs.

When I attended the interview to become one of the Sales people/marketeers - The interviewer looked at me and I bet he laughed in his heart (bacuse he could not see me managing to make a sale)...

reasons being:

1). I had a 'little' bit of an African accent - despite the fact that I was speaking gramatically correct 'Queens' English

2). From my skin colour - very few people would attempt to open their doors for me to show them the pretty 'aerial' photos

So I never got the job!!!!

I hope your friend manages to 'break' those 'Invisible' barriers in the UK market. Obviously if your freind is extremely good at work then colour/accent should not be an issue

All the best
Where there is a will there is a way.