ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Europe Immigration rules

Immigration to European countries, don't post UK or Ireland related topics!

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

cheekyvirgin

Europe Immigration rules

Post by cheekyvirgin » Mon Aug 13, 2007 8:19 pm

Hi guys there is a thought in my mind regarding Immigration issue.

If some body is residing in UK from many years , Does he has any option to take Nationality in any EU country ?

Just curious.

JAJ
Australia

Re: Europe Immigration rules

Post by JAJ » Mon Aug 13, 2007 10:55 pm

cheekyvirgin wrote:Hi guys there is a thought in my mind regarding Immigration issue.

If some body is residing in UK from many years , Does he has any option to take Nationality in any EU country ?

Just curious.
Why on earth would any other country give out naturalisation based on residence in the United Kingdom?

There is actually one circumstance where it is possible. If married to an Irish citizen, and resident in Northern Ireland for 3 years, it is possible to become a naturalised Irish citizen.

sakura
Diamond Member

Post by sakura » Mon Aug 13, 2007 11:14 pm

cheekyvirgin wrote:Hi guys there is a thought in my mind regarding Immigration issue.

Just curious.
All countries have their own rules on naturalisation. You cannot stay in Germany and, oh I dunno, 'opt' for British citizenship. Or vice versa. The only exceptions to this are if you are married to a national of that country, then they might allow you to apply based on marriage to a citizen, but the conditions vary. This is the case, as JAJ points out, and I'm sure in other countries (Belgium, for example, but one needs to show 'ties' to the country = language, law, etc).

But other than that, it would be really stupid for someone to be able to choose what country's nationality they want whilst living elsewhere. The UK certainly wouldn't allow you to apply based on residency in France! What the hell would be the point????

Christophe
Diamond Member

Post by Christophe » Tue Aug 14, 2007 7:09 am

Just curious.
It's an interesting question, especially as there are people who wish to see a single EU citizenship (or who say that they do). The answer is no, as the others have said, because nationality and citizenship are within the province of the national governments of the individual EU countries and each country makes and applies its own laws and regulations in this area. (The Ireland/Northern Ireland situation that JAJ mentions is a special case that is the result of particular set of circumstances and has nothing to do with the fact that both countries are in the EU. Similarly, if there are other cases where it could be done, e.g. because of marriage, it is a result of national law and unrelated to the EU as such.)