ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

France Trip with French Spouse and not visa

Immigration to European countries, don't post UK or Ireland related topics!

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

bluecole2
- thin ice -

France Trip with French Spouse and not visa

Post by bluecole2 » Sun Jul 21, 2013 1:03 pm

Here is an update for the Forum.

I hope this will encourage people worried about travelling (particularly to France) with their French eea spouse do so without a visa. As I have done on 2 occasions to date.

Just returned from holiday in France with my French spouse and glad it all went well in regards to Immigration Officer letting me through with no hassle. However I was disappointed by the lack of knowledge of the IO that stamped my passport in London and frustrated for not being able to challenge them in a verbal conversation because I do not speak French and my spouse was too fearful of them changing their mind and preventing me from travelling especially as the info(s) on embassy's and tls website are incorrect.

Travelled by train from St pancreas, going through French IO and before I could blink he has stamped my passport which I immediately told him he is not supposed to do. He had conversation with my spouse in French that he has to stamp it and all that..... So I walked on :(

On return I to England, on handling my passport I asked my spouse to inform the French Officer that he is not allowed to stamp my passport. He was quiet a pleasant officer and asked why I do not want a stamp and we told because the directive says so. He responded saying he is not going to stamp it but the directives say they have the choice whether or not they stamp it and it is up to them if they choose to. But before he handed the passport back he joked to stamp several pages :) quiet a fun guy for a French IO.

To conclude, we could be there all day long arguing over who's interpretation of the directives is accurate but the damage as been done anyway. My point is this guys or their managers clearly have not been properly trained and it will take a serious case/fight to change this which is unlikely. So like I had stated before somewhere on this forum perhaps the best way to prevent having passport stamped when it shouldn't be (or indirectly training these IOs) is to inform the IO on handling passport that according to the directive blah!!! you may not stamp my passport or type on a paper in relevant language and handover.

One think that baffles is that there seems to be so much confusing regulations and threat of large fines for the airliners that carries passengers without appropriate documents but that is not the case for Train operators like Eurostar. What is the difference between international flight between London and Paris and international Train journey between London and Paris?

EUsmileWEallsmile

Post by EUsmileWEallsmile » Sun Jul 21, 2013 7:24 pm

An interesting post, thanks for sharing.

Stamping passports appears to be a continuing issue for people.

Dintras
Newly Registered

Post by Dintras » Mon Aug 19, 2013 12:31 am

Hi
Could u please tell me what kind of stamping? Just a normal date stamp or else? I've been travel. Between FR and UK many times since 2007 and got stamp every times from UK side but not on FR side as FR officer not normally present at their booth :),is some kind of new things of EEA rule? Sorry I'm far out of this visa things but have to back to track again so woild like some update info.Thank you

EUsmileWEallsmile

Post by EUsmileWEallsmile » Mon Aug 19, 2013 6:55 pm

Dintras wrote:Hi
Could u please tell me what kind of stamping? Just a normal date stamp or else? I've been travel. Between FR and UK many times since 2007 and got stamp every times from UK side but not on FR side as FR officer not normally present at their booth :),is some kind of new things of EEA rule? Sorry I'm far out of this visa things but have to back to track again so woild like some update info.Thank you
What documents do you hold?

Directive/2004/38/EC
Respected Guru
Location: does not matter if you are with your EEA family member

Post by Directive/2004/38/EC » Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:13 pm

bluecole2, you hold a Residence Card for the family member of an EU citizen correct?

bluecole2
- thin ice -

Post by bluecole2 » Wed Aug 21, 2013 12:26 pm

Directive/2004/38/EC wrote:bluecole2, you hold a Residence Card for the family member of an EU citizen correct?
That's right Directive/2004/38/EC