ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

im a bit confused

Immigration to European countries, don't post UK or Ireland related topics!

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

SMOOTH OPERATOR

im a bit confused

Post by SMOOTH OPERATOR » Fri Feb 20, 2009 7:23 pm

hi guys i got my schengen visa 2 days ago........ but for the first time after 4 schengen visa from the french embassy......this one says ETATS SCHENGEN (-EST)....what is -est suppose to mean please help

86ti
Diamond Member

Re: im a bit confused

Post by 86ti » Fri Feb 20, 2009 7:55 pm

SMOOTH OPERATOR wrote:hi guys i got my schengen visa 2 days ago........ but for the first time after 4 schengen visa from the french embassy......this one says ETATS SCHENGEN (-EST)....what is -est suppose to mean please help
If suppose it means valid in all of Schengen except Estonia. But why?

Plum70
Diamond Member

Post by Plum70 » Fri Feb 20, 2009 10:29 pm

I was also curious about this (my visa says the same) but couldn't find any info on the net.

I think '-EST', french for 'east', means - except eastern european countries within schengen? So may be excluding Estonia, Latvia, Czech, Slovakia?

I know that each european country is able to dictate the number of schengen states one can access.

86ti
Diamond Member

Post by 86ti » Fri Feb 20, 2009 10:48 pm

Plum70 wrote:I know that each european country is able to dictate the number of schengen states one can access.
You mean the French did it or those Eastern European countries?

Rozen
Diamond Member

Re: im a bit confused

Post by Rozen » Fri Feb 20, 2009 10:58 pm

SMOOTH OPERATOR wrote:hi guys i got my schengen visa 2 days ago........ but for the first time after 4 schengen visa from the french embassy......this one says ETATS SCHENGEN (-EST)....what is -est suppose to mean please help
Out of curiosity, how long is it valid for?

isceon

Post by isceon » Fri Feb 20, 2009 11:06 pm

isceon

Post by isceon » Fri Feb 20, 2009 11:16 pm

copy and paste all the link with(01):EN:NOT to web adress bar.I don't know why it does not work directly.

Plum70
Diamond Member

Post by Plum70 » Sat Feb 21, 2009 12:41 pm

Isceon, can you please highlight the relevant text? Can't seem to fish it out...

SMOOTH OPERATOR

Post by SMOOTH OPERATOR » Sat Feb 21, 2009 1:03 pm

thanks guys .......is it definitely estonia then? and not east european countries?

86ti
Diamond Member

Post by 86ti » Sat Feb 21, 2009 1:32 pm

Plum70 wrote:
Isceon, can you please highlight the relevant text? Can't seem to fish it out...
It's neither in the English nor the French version. The German version lists the country codes.

isceon

Post by isceon » Sat Feb 21, 2009 1:34 pm

Plum70 wrote:
VI. HOW TO FILL IN VISA STICKERS

Annexes 8 and 13 contain the following: 8 — a description of the sticker's security features; 13 — examples of specimen visa stickers that have already been filled in.

1. Common entries section (Section 8)

1.1. "VALID FOR" heading

This heading indicates the territory in which the visa holder is entitled to travel.

This heading may be completed in one of the following four ways only:

(a) Schengen States;

(b) Schengen State or Schengen States to whose territory the validity of the visa is limited (in this case the following abbreviations are used: A for Austria, F for France, D for Germany, E for Spain, GR for Greece, P for Portugal, I for Italy, L for Luxembourg, NL for the Netherlands, B for Belgium);

(c) Benelux;

(d) Schengen State (using the abbreviations in (b)) which issued the national long-stay visa + Schengen States

- When the sticker is used to issue the uniform visa pursuant to Articles 10 and 11 of the Convention, or to issue a visa whose validity is not limited to the territory of the Contracting Party which issued the visa, the heading "valid for" is filled in using the words "Schengen States", in the language of the Contracting Party which issued the visa.

- When the sticker is used to issue visas which restrict entry, stay and exit to just one territory, this heading shall be filled in, in the national language, with the name of the Contracting Party to which the visa holder's entry, stay and exit are limited.

- When the sticker is used to issue a national long-stay visa valid concurrently as a uniform short-stay visa for a maximum period of three months from its initial date of validity, this heading is to be filled in with the Member State which issued the national long-stay visa, followed by "Schengen States".

- Pursuant to Article 14 of the Convention, limited territorial validity may cover the territory of several Member States; in that case, according to the Member State codes to be entered under this heading, the following options are available:

(a) entry of the codes for the Member States concerned;

(b) entry of the words "Schengen States" in the language of the issuing Member State, followed in brackets by the minus sign and the codes of the Member States for the territories of which the visa is not valid.
- Limited territorial validity may not apply to just part of the territory of a Contracting Party.

1.2. "FROM … TO" heading

This heading indicates the period of the holder's stay as authorised by the visa.

The date from which the visa holder may enter the territory for which the visa is valid is written as below, following the word "FROM":

- the day is written using two digits, the first of which is a zero if the day in question is a single digit.

- horizontal dash.

- the month is written using two digits, the first of which is a zero if the month in question is a single digit.

- horizontal dash.

- the year is written using two digits, which correspond with the last two digits of the year.

- For example: 15-04-94 = 15 April 1994.

The date of the last day of the period of the visa holder's authorised stay is entered after the word "TO". The visa holder must have left the territory for which the visa is valid by midnight on this date.

This date is written in the same way as the first date above.

86ti
Diamond Member

Post by 86ti » Sat Feb 21, 2009 1:38 pm

SMOOTH OPERATOR wrote:thanks guys .......is it definitely estonia then? and not east european countries?
It seems to be Estonia. Strange. For RC holders it shouldn't matter as the Estonians appear to be ok with their visa-free travel.

isceon

Post by isceon » Sat Feb 21, 2009 1:39 pm

It is not about eastern European countries as in French they would have said Pays de L'Est wich would be ridiculous.Defenitly Estonia but why?I thought Estonia was in Shenghen.

Plum70
Diamond Member

Post by Plum70 » Sat Feb 21, 2009 3:37 pm

Ok, makes sense.....I also was doubtful that the exemption may be for all of eastern Europe.

Estonia joined the schengen in 2007/2008, external borders dissolved & cross border cooperation introduced. However the EC is to periodically review whether or not Estonia's borders continually meet the standards. It appears that Estonia had/is having problems clearly demarcating it's borders with Russia which may be of concern to the EC?

86ti
Diamond Member

Post by 86ti » Fri Mar 06, 2009 1:06 pm

My wife just got her passport back from the French embassy: multiple entry visa valid for two months (that was our very first Schengen visa application to the French). Also valid for the whole Schengen area without territorial restrictions.

Still wonder why you guys got a restriced visa. Not sure if that would make any difference but my wife is an Estonian born Russian citizen.