ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Living in France, non-EEA/EU citizen with UK residency

Immigration to European countries, don't post UK or Ireland related topics!

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

dxs
Newly Registered

Living in France, non-EEA/EU citizen with UK residency

Post by dxs » Sun Dec 18, 2016 4:26 pm

Hi there,

I am a non-EEA/EU citizen with UK Indefinite Leave to Remain for 3 yrs. I've been living in the UK for over a decade now and gained ILR via the (now-closed) Tier 1 highly-skilled visa.

My husband (dual EU and non-EU citizen) and I are looking to buy a holiday home in France with a view to living there (more) permanently in the future. Potentially at this future stage we are looking to be self-employed in the leisure industry, semi-retired or similar.

What routes would be open to me to legally live and possibly work self-employed in France? Would I qualify for the "resident de longue duree - CE" for example as I know the reverse (France to UK) is not valid?

(some details -
- We will be able to prove funds, have university and professional qualifications etc.

- Spouse route may be possible for me, but I am concerned about restrictions that my husband must live in France before I am allowed to live/work there. If for example he remains in the UK for full-time employment and commutes to/from France frequently I am concerned that this may be disallowed, thus prefer an independent French entry for myself.

- I could apply for UK citizenship but means giving up my current citizenship as I'm not allowed dual citizenship. My current citizenship is hard to regain (and residence can be hard to get once citizenship is renounced) should I ever decide to return, hence not an ideal solution.

- I have French at B1 level (in addition to native English + other native language)

Thank
you!
Last edited by dxs on Sun Dec 18, 2016 4:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: Living in France, non-EEA/EU citizen with UK residency

Post by CR001 » Sun Dec 18, 2016 4:35 pm

You do realise that ILR is lost if you are not present, settled and living in the UK for 2 years or more. Short visits is not enough to maintain ILR status.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

dxs
Newly Registered

Post by dxs » Sun Dec 18, 2016 8:45 pm

Hi, thanks and yes I realise this - there is a plan B, either of us may have a British passport by then. I've mentioned not giving up my current one but this part is a consideration for later, after we figure out if it's possible to do this France move.

Would appreciate if anyone had any advice on the moving to France part nevertheless?

mgb

Post by mgb » Sun Dec 18, 2016 10:01 pm

The spouse route as a family member of a eu citizen should be possible if he is not french.
He would be than frontier worker who is coming home at least one time per week.
His status would be self-sufficient in France.