ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Longer Schengen Visa Validity

Immigration to European countries, don't post UK or Ireland related topics!

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

Euro12
Newly Registered

Longer Schengen Visa Validity

Post by Euro12 » Tue Jul 10, 2012 10:36 am

Hi Forum,

I have a question on how to secure a longer validity on the Schengen Visa. In the last year or so I have had to apply for a Schengen visa more than 5 times i.e. 1 for each trip.
I made my most recent application last week and even though I requested for the maximum possible validity in the cover letter, they have issued me with a 1 month multiple entry visa.
My girl friend lives in Austria and it is becoming very cumbersome to make an application every time I have to visit her.
I currently hold a tier-2 general residence permit valid until May 2015.
Also, is there any other visa category I can apply for to make life a bit more easier.

I'll appreciate some useful comments and feedback.

Best Regards

ca.funke
Belgium

Post by ca.funke » Tue Jul 10, 2012 4:04 pm

Euro12
Newly Registered

Post by Euro12 » Tue Jul 10, 2012 4:37 pm

ca.funke wrote:similar thing was discussed here:
http://www.immigrationboards.com/viewtopic.php?t=106309
Thanks ca.funke.

If I submit documentary evidence of my future trips i.e. flight bookings and provide identification documents and police registration of my girlfriend to cover accommodation (in addition to other required docs), do you reckon that will influence the decision on how long the visa is issued for. I know travel history is a major factor in determining the validity and as mentioned in just over a year I have travelled to 4 Schengen member states 6 times and completely obliged the arrival and departure dates which I believe is nothing less than good travel history !
Also, is there a possibility that making frequent Schengen applications from the same consulate may annoy them and cause them to reject the application at some point. I have so far addressed my girl friend as a close friend. Do you reckon making the consulate aware about our relationship will complicate the situation as we are not in a legally endorsed relationship of any sort yet or it shouldn't have an impact.

Many thanks for your feedback in advance.

Regards

ca.funke
Belgium

Post by ca.funke » Wed Jul 11, 2012 8:08 am

Euro12 wrote:If I submit documentary evidence of my future trips i.e. flight bookings and provide identification documents and police registration of my girlfriend to cover accommodation (in addition to other required docs), do you reckon that will influence the decision on how long the visa is issued for.
Unfortunately, in many cases the Schengen-system is like a black box. You enter something, but cannot predict what will come out of it. Above mentioned documents will work in your favour, as long as they don´t suggest that you plan to stay with your girlfriend for good.
Euro12 wrote:I know travel history is a major factor in determining the validity and as mentioned in just over a year I have travelled to 4 Schengen member states 6 times and completely obliged the arrival and departure dates which I believe is nothing less than good travel history !
It is good travel history, the more of that you have, the better.
Euro12 wrote:Also, is there a possibility that making frequent Schengen applications from the same consulate may annoy them and cause them to reject the application at some point.
Had the same with the Belgian Embassy in Dublin, where I was a more-than-frequent visitor, because they continued to refuse my wife a multi-entry. So for a year we were there every 2 weeks: Once to drop the application, once to pick it up. This, because we wanted to go roughly every month... It´s illogical, but I guess after a while they will become annoyed. No idea how to fix this, except outlining that you would also prefer to have a multiple...
Euro12 wrote:I have so far addressed my girl friend as a close friend. Do you reckon making the consulate aware about our relationship will complicate the situation as we are not in a legally endorsed relationship of any sort yet or it shouldn't have an impact.
Same as above, you have to avoid that they think that you want to stay inside Schengen because of her. Sort-of illogical too, but that´s the way it is.

Rgds, Christian

Euro12
Newly Registered

Post by Euro12 » Wed Jul 11, 2012 9:48 am

Schengen-system is like a black box. You enter something, but cannot predict what will come out of it. Above mentioned documents will work in your favour, as long as they don´t suggest that you plan to stay with your girlfriend for good.
Yes, this is exactly what it appears to be like. I sincerely don't have any intentions of staying there with my girl friend for good as I have a reasonably good job here in the UK and a fairly decent life :) How do I assure them of that apart from a letter from my employer mentioning that I am on holidays and am expected to return to work on the mentioned date?
Had the same with the Belgian Embassy in Dublin, where I was a more-than-frequent visitor, because they continued to refuse my wife a multi-entry. So for a year we were there every 2 weeks: Once to drop the application, once to pick it up. This, because we wanted to go roughly every month... It´s illogical, but I guess after a while they will become annoyed. No idea how to fix this, except outlining that you would also prefer to have a multiple...
Exactly ! that is whole point of asking for a multi entry entry visa. I made it absolutely clear to them that I will be travelling again in the coming months. But they seem to have completely ignored that. Now they better be prepared to see me very 5-6 weeks :P For my next application I am planning to give them either a full itinerary of my travel in coming months (they only ask for flight bookings and not actually tickets -which again puzzles me as to what exactly they mean by bookings not tickets ? For accommodation, I'd be staying with my girl friend anyway apart from one instance where we are travelling outside Vienna.
OR I will apply through French or Italian Embassy - Do I HAVE TO start my journey from the country that issues me the visa ? or can I use a for eg. visa from French to travel to Austria directly ?
Same as above, you have to avoid that they think that you want to stay inside Schengen because of her. Sort-of illogical too, but that´s the way it is.
I seriously have no such intentions :D I risk this whole headache annoying my girl friend more than the Austrian Embassy and we may have to decide to break up :P Do you reckon a note or letter from someone in the government in Austria will help the cause ? After all this is a question of my basic human right - they cannot stop me from visiting my girlfriend - no matter how many times I want! I'd go every weekend if I could afford !

Regards..

Punjab
BANNED

Post by Punjab » Thu Jul 12, 2012 2:34 pm

do you wanna try french embassy if u r going by car I applied through them may be 2 yrs ago and got for 1 yr straight away. Bear in mind I have had residence certificate for family member of eea national. I again applied in german embassy but got only for 3 months 90 days.

Euro12
Newly Registered

Post by Euro12 » Fri Jul 13, 2012 9:31 am

Punjab wrote:do you wanna try french embassy if u r going by car I applied through them may be 2 yrs ago and got for 1 yr straight away. Bear in mind I have had residence certificate for family member of eea national. I again applied in german embassy but got only for 3 months 90 days.
Thanks for you response Punjab.
Although I don't have a residence card but this is the general opinion I have seen across this forum; GO French or Italian.
However my question about that is, what are the possibilities of them giving me atleast a 6 month visa if I show them that I am only making a short trip of say a weekend to France or Italy and rest of my trips are to a different Schengen member state ?
Can I make bookings (accommodation and travel) for example in France and then after getting the visa, cancel them and then travel to other Schengen member state ? Is that possible at all or do I have to travel to France first ?
OR I might as well book a short weekend (never been to south of France).

Thanks for your reply in advance!

Punjab
BANNED

Post by Punjab » Fri Jul 13, 2012 10:13 am

Hiya, I won’t do anything like cancelling the booking after having visa from them as if something goes wrong they won’t be happy to process your application for further french visa or put a record in their eurpean system and everytime you will pass the borders through immigration you might be question.
Just be honest with them. You can say that you will be going there again ( if you really are going). Based on your previous schengen applications/visa issued there should not be any problem to issue you a visa for long validity. In other case they will give u 90 days visa. You can ask mult enteries.
Why not you apply for Residence permit in the country of your girlfriend? It will be a lot easy for you.
I have had an invitation leter from my wife ( before we were married and were girlfriend/boyfriend). I sent them to the official department stamped it and they gave me 180 days visa. It did cost us £20 for attesting the letter etc.+£35 fee at that time. If your girlfriend can write the letter to the embassy or relevant department with all the proofs that you visted her so many times, you might get a long visa easily.

Euro12
Newly Registered

Post by Euro12 » Fri Jul 13, 2012 10:49 am

Punjab wrote:Hiya, I won’t do anything like cancelling the booking after having visa from them as if something goes wrong they won’t be happy to process your application for further french visa or put a record in their eurpean system and everytime you will pass the borders through immigration you might be question.
Just be honest with them. You can say that you will be going there again ( if you really are going). Based on your previous schengen applications/visa issued there should not be any problem to issue you a visa for long validity. In other case they will give u 90 days visa. You can ask mult enteries.
Why not you apply for Residence permit in the country of your girlfriend? It will be a lot easy for you.
I have had an invitation leter from my wife ( before we were married and were girlfriend/boyfriend). I sent them to the official department stamped it and they gave me 180 days visa. It did cost us £20 for attesting the letter etc.+£35 fee at that time. If your girlfriend can write the letter to the embassy or relevant department with all the proofs that you visted her so many times, you might get a long visa easily.
Oh! that will be great - if any such thing still exists ? I thought such an option was only available for married couples ? Can you please brief the procedure if you don't mind. What is the content of the letter and how do you make an application for that ? What category ? Or is it that you directly post the document to the Embassy here in the UK without appointment or anything ? Who attests the letter and what are the other supporting documents we need to submit ? I can get a print out of all my previous tickets and my girl friends', every time she came to visit me. it's roughly bout 9 times we've visited each other since July last year.

Apologies for the flurry of questions. your opinions and feedback is much appreciated.

Punjab
BANNED

Post by Punjab » Fri Jul 13, 2012 11:05 am

Hiya,

Mate the things are different in different EU country. Mine was Hungary and they have a special immigration office which attested the invitation letter and sent it to me and then I sent it to embassy. It took 3 weeks to get the visa including the invitation letter.
I have checked this on austrian embassy

http://www.bmeia.gv.at/en/embassy/londo ... ermit.html

II) Niederlassungsbewilligung (for foreigners who plan to live in Austria for a longer time period = Permanent Residence Permit), i.a.
• any purpose, private reasons (e.g. move to Austria in retirement)
• employment or self-employment under certain circumstances
• family members of aliens living in Austria, family re-unification
I know she is not your family memebr but might be being your girlfriend will do the work.

Or

V) Family members / Dependants

1) Which residence permit can be obtained by family members / dependants of Austrian, Swiss and EEA citizens not entitled to the right of unrestricted mobility?

(q.v. 7))

Family members (spouses und unmarried minors children, including stepchildren and adopted children) of Austrian, Swiss and EEA citizens not entitled to the right of unrestricted mobility (and not EEA or Swiss citizens themselves) can obtain “Niederlassungsbewilligung- Familienangehöriger” (settlement permit – family member), exempt from the general immigration quota. This settlement permit allows a third country nation unrestricted access (-> § 1 Paragraph 2 lit. I AuslBG) to the labour market in Austria. -> § 47 Paragraph 2 NAG

Following other relatives of Austrian, Swiss and EEA citizens not entitled to the right of unrestricted mobility (and not EEA or Swiss citizens themselves) can obtain a “Niederlassungsbewilligung - Angehöriger” (settlement permit – dependant), exempt from the general immigration quota (-> § 47 Paragraph 3 NAG):

- Next of kin of Austrian, EEA or Swiss citizens or spouse in direct ascending line (parents and parents-in-law)
- Partner of an EEA citizen, whereupon the existence of a long-time relationship in the country of origin has to be proven and alimony is actually granted
- Other relatives, who have already lived in a common household with an Austrian, EEA or Swiss citizen in the country of origin and have already received alimony
- Other relatives of an EEA citizen, who are in urgent need of personal care due to severe causes

Please note: A “Niederlassungsbewilligung – Angehöriger” (settlement permit – dependant) does not authorise the acceptance of employment. Furthermore, to obtain this type of residence permit the Austrian, EEA or Swiss citizen has to submit a statement of financial liability.

2) Are family members / dependants of Austrian, Swiss and EEA citizens not entitled to the right of unrestricted mobility allowed to submit their application for an “Erstniederlassungsbewilligung” (first-time settlement permit) in Austria?

Family members (nuclear family) are allowed to apply in Austria if they entered Austria legally and are legally allowed to stay on Austrian federal territory (i.e. the allowed period of stay without visa or the validity of the visa has not yet expired). -> § 21 Paragraph 2 Z 1 NAG

Other dependants (as all other applicants) are only allowed to file their application in Austria if they are allowed to enter Austria without a visa. -> § 21 Paragraph 2 Z 5

Euro12
Newly Registered

Post by Euro12 » Fri Jul 13, 2012 11:47 am

Thanks for your detailed response Punjab!

I have gone through this content before however what I make out of this information is:

1) You can only apply for a residence permit if you are planning to stay/live in Austria for 6 months or more. (I probably will never stay there for more than 2 weeks maximum in the near future)

2) It is restricted to :
-Someone married to an Austrian citizen
-Students
-Employees transferred to their company branch in Austria
-Research Scholars and
-au-pairs

However, when I read further ahead and come accross:

II) Niederlassungsbewilligung (for foreigners who plan to live in Austria for a longer time period = Permanent Residence Permit), i.a.
any purpose, private reasons (e.g. move to Austria in retirement)
employment or self-employment under certain circumstances
family members of aliens living in Austria, family re-unification

I think their is some hope here because it mentions "any purpose, private reasons" but again "for foreigners who plan to live in Austria for a longer period"

I don't mind sending through an email to the Austrian Embassy in London seeking information on this. They are generally quite responsive. But I fear if this is not the case, it might work as a negative for my future application or may be i'm being too pessimistic !

Punjab
BANNED

Post by Punjab » Fri Jul 13, 2012 1:07 pm

Hi

Austrian embassy is really helpful as I have emailed them 3-4 times asking questions like working in Vienna, driving in Austria and residency in Austria. Every time they have replied me with the answers and links where I can find the information.

Worse case senerio you will get no for residence permit as you don’t live there but they can tell you about long time validity visa.

When a multiple entry visa is issued with a period of validity between 6 months and 5 years, the duration of authorised stay is always 3 months per 6 months.

http://eur-lex.europa.eu/LexUriServ/Lex ... 058:EN:PDF

Have a look in this page

http://www.visasforindians.com/multiple ... -visa.html

I was going to austria only for 2 days so I applied for the visa with the letter of explanation my wife gave in german language. I got the visa for 30 days mult.

But I think it depends upon the case.

Ask your girlfriend to write send you a letter Fao of austrian embassy written in Germany. It will definitely boost your case.

Euro12
Newly Registered

Post by Euro12 » Fri Jul 13, 2012 2:22 pm

Thanks once again for your detailed response mate.
Really appreciate it.

I think you are right. I will drop them an email after I come back from my holidays in August. I will detail everything as I have a genuine need to travel regularly. I do however need to provide them with as much documentary evidence as possible to prove that I have no intentions of settling there. Which will be a detailed letter from my Employer, perhaps my tenancy contract here in London and other utility contracts. Also evidence
of me and my girlfriend having travelled regularly over the last year or so i.e. flight tickets etc. and off course a letter from my girl friend.

Lets see what they come back with.

I had highlighted the need for a visa with longer validity in my most recent application quoting personal reasons as one of the mentioned reasons. So I did give them a hint and now it's time to give them full details what those personal reasons are. In terms of my previous travel history and everything, I think they have no strong grounds of refusing my application straight away.

Punjab
BANNED

Post by Punjab » Fri Jul 13, 2012 2:49 pm

Euro12 wrote:Thanks once again for your detailed response mate.
Really appreciate it.

I think you are right. I will drop them an email after I come back from my holidays in August. I will detail everything as I have a genuine need to travel regularly. I do however need to provide them with as much documentary evidence as possible to prove that I have no intentions of settling there. Which will be a detailed letter from my Employer, perhaps my tenancy contract here in London and other utility contracts. Also evidence
of me and my girlfriend having travelled regularly over the last year or so i.e. flight tickets etc. and off course a letter from my girl friend.

Lets see what they come back with.

I had highlighted the need for a visa with longer validity in my most recent application quoting personal reasons as one of the mentioned reasons. So I did give them a hint and now it's time to give them full details what those personal reasons are. In terms of my previous travel history and everything, I think they have no strong grounds of refusing my application straight away.
best of luck and do let us know what happen

Punjab
BANNED

Re: Longer Schengen Visa Validity

Post by Punjab » Wed Jul 25, 2012 11:41 am

Euro12 wrote:Hi Forum,
Hiya applied for visa from Hungarian embassy and told themabout the problems I have to face if I am traveling with my wife or joining my wife ( in both cases i dont need visa) anyways this time i am flying solo.
got it for 365 days ;-)

Euro12
Newly Registered

Post by Euro12 » Fri Jul 27, 2012 8:43 am

Punjab wrote:
Hiya applied for visa from Hungarian embassy and told themabout the problems I have to face if I am traveling with my wife or joining my wife ( in both cases i dont need visa) anyways this time i am flying solo.
got it for 365 days ;-)
That's good news mate ! well done.
Did you explain all this in your cover letter and submitted that with your application or did you get in touch with the Hungarian embassy before making the application ?

Punjab
BANNED

Post by Punjab » Fri Jul 27, 2012 9:54 am

Euro12 wrote:
Punjab wrote:
got it for 365 days ;-)
That's good news mate ! well done.
Did you explain all this in your cover letter and submitted that with your application or did you get in touch with the Hungarian embassy before making the application ?
yes i did send them a cover letter but in hungarian from my wife. we also send proof of our property in hungary. we requested to grant a long visa and the embassy staf was really nice.

like i said if you have a good immigration history in the same country and you have a reason to go there more than 2-3 times i think they could consider you for a longer visa. do update us with your application process tc

Euro12
Newly Registered

Post by Euro12 » Thu Sep 06, 2012 9:37 am

So I applied for another short term Schengen at the Austrian Embassy in London last week as I am visiting my girl friend end of this month. I explained the need of travelling frequently and gave them my bookings (not flight) for my trip in November. Also had an invitation from my girl friend as this time I will be staying with her.

However, yet again, they issued me with a multiple entry valid for 20 days from the date of travel ! I don't understand what they want from me. Do I have to give them bookings for the rest of the year or what ?

This is really starting to worry me as I can't plan ahead. I always bring the validity issue up on the day of appointment and they always say the consular with decide on the basis of your travel history and bank statements. I now have 7 Schengen stamps on my passport in less than 18 months. - Never Over stayed or anything - what travel history are they talking about ? I don't get it.

I am planning to contact the Embassy directly and bring this issue into their notice and see what they come back with.

P.S: why is the user above been banned from the forum ? he seemed to be full of advice and help on this post ?

sum1
- thin ice -

Post by sum1 » Thu Sep 06, 2012 10:15 am

Whether you get a long term Schengen visa or not is at the discretion of the embassy. The Visa Code provides for circumstances when such visa can be issued, e.g. family members, but your 'only' reason appears to be your girl friend. I think they are not required to give you more if they don't feel like it.

Euro12
Newly Registered

Post by Euro12 » Thu Sep 06, 2012 11:41 am

sum1 wrote:Whether you get a long term Schengen visa or not is at the discretion of the embassy. The Visa Code provides for circumstances when such visa can be issued, e.g. family members, but your 'only' reason appears to be your girl friend. I think they are not required to give you more if they don't feel like it.
Thanks Sum1

Are you able to provide a link to the visa code you mentioned?

sum1
- thin ice -

Post by sum1 » Thu Sep 06, 2012 12:03 pm

Visa Code, esp. Article 24, 2(a).

Euro12
Newly Registered

Post by Euro12 » Thu Sep 06, 2012 1:29 pm

Thanks for this.

It appears that travel for work and family reasons does take precedence over other reasons which in my case is visiting my girl friend. But I believe it does not set this out as a hard and fast condition. A bit of explanation and may be a level of trust between me and Embassy (which may develop) after another I don't know how many trips can get you a longer validity.
But I will get in touch with the Embassy directly regardless to see their take on it. They are generally quite responsive.

sirlim

Post by sirlim » Tue Dec 02, 2014 4:24 pm

-deleted-