ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

SS Schengen Visa query for Belgium

Immigration to European countries, don't post UK or Ireland related topics!

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

Battlestar

SS Schengen Visa query for Belgium

Post by Battlestar » Mon Nov 28, 2016 12:22 pm

Hello all,

I have done research before posting on the forum (read the free movement guide and other users posts) but I am still a little confused so hope someone could assist.

I am moving to Belgium in two weeks. I've got a few job applications under way at a few schools (English teaching and admin jobs, one across the border in the Netherlands) and speak basic dutch so I'm hopeful of getting a job. I'm also in the process of getting accommodation sorted which should be done very soon.

So I wish to bring my wife over from Pakistan by the way of a Schengen visa to Belgium but I'm confused to what exactly I need her to show when applying. From reading http://pakistan.diplomatie.belgium.be/e ... mily-visit I've gathered the following:

She applies for a Schengen 90 day short stay visa, would this be Family or Tourist?;
Have valid passport, photographs et;
Have the necessary travel insurance;
A sponsor letter for her to join me in Belgium;
Ticket reservation, can this be one way to Belgium or will it need to be return as I plan to apply for RC after 3 months?;
Proof of sufficient financial means, I will send 6 months bank statements;
Attested and translated marriage certificate and wedding photos etc.

Is there anything I am missing?

secret.simon

Re: SS Schengen Visa query for Belgium

Post by secret.simon » Mon Nov 28, 2016 6:40 pm

What are your nationalities?
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

Battlestar

Post by Battlestar » Mon Nov 28, 2016 8:11 pm

Hi SecretSimon,

I'm a British national from birth and she is from Kashmir, Pakistani national.

Battlestar

Post by Battlestar » Wed Nov 30, 2016 12:30 pm

Hello,

I'd really appreciate any advice anyone could offer to assist.

Kind regards

Battlestar

Post by Battlestar » Mon Dec 05, 2016 1:39 pm

Hello once again all,

surely someone can assist? Just as n update I have now got a place in Belgium and have been over and will be living here for the foreseeable future. As such, when I apply for a Schengen visa, I assume I cn apply under the spouse of an EU citizen given that I no longer live in the UK and I'm exercising my treaty right?

fsa

Post by fsa » Mon Dec 05, 2016 10:49 pm

Battlestar wrote:Hello once again all,

surely someone can assist? Just as n update I have now got a place in Belgium and have been over and will be living here for the foreseeable future. As such, when I apply for a Schengen visa, I assume I cn apply under the spouse of an EU citizen given that I no longer live in the UK and I'm exercising my treaty right?

that is correct. you will have to show evidence that you are exercising your treaty rights in Belgium for her to be able to join you

mgb

Post by mgb » Tue Dec 06, 2016 10:20 am

I don't think so.
For the 3 month due to article 6 of the eu directive his physical presence in Belgium is sufficient.
His wife should apply for a visa for a family member of a eu citizen from the belgian embassy.

Battlestar

Post by Battlestar » Fri Dec 09, 2016 6:49 pm

thanks for the responses guys. Looks like I need to do a little more reading into this as I still have unanswered questions.

noajthan

Post by noajthan » Fri Dec 09, 2016 6:54 pm

Battlestar wrote:thanks for the responses guys. Looks like I need to do a little more reading into this as I still have unanswered questions.
Get up to speed on free movement here:
http://ec.europa.eu/justice/citizen/doc ... 013_en.pdf
All that is gold does not glitter; Not all those who wander are lost. E&OE.

Battlestar

Post by Battlestar » Tue Dec 13, 2016 11:39 am

Thanks noajthan but as mentioned in the first sentence of my OP, I've read it.

Thanks though.

noajthan

Post by noajthan » Tue Dec 13, 2016 12:01 pm

Battlestar wrote:Thanks noajthan but as mentioned in the first sentence of my OP, I've read it.

Thanks though.
It wasn't really clear if you meant the FreeMovement material or free movement stuff in general let alone the freedom guide our VAT has paid for.

So for specifics on Schengen suggest contact concerned embassy.
All that is gold does not glitter; Not all those who wander are lost. E&OE.

Battlestar

Post by Battlestar » Sun Jan 08, 2017 2:20 pm

Hi guys,

Just wanted to post an update, the Belgium embassy got back to my questions and I've posted what is need below for anyone in a similar boat.

Information required for VISA

Apply for a Schengen 90 day short stay visa, family member of EU citizen category;
Have valid passports of applicants and passport style photographs etc;
Have the necessary travel insurance, e to the value of 30,000 Euros;
Sponsor letter for spouse to join you in Belgium;
Ticket reservation, this be one way to Belgium but the embasy recommends its return to avoid issues with airlines;
Attested and translated marriage certificate;

Cost of the visa: visa is free of visa fee (but of handling fees from Gerry / VFS)

fsa

Post by fsa » Sun Jan 08, 2017 10:37 pm

Battlestar wrote:Hi guys,

Just wanted to post an update, the Belgium embassy got back to my questions and I've posted what is need below for anyone in a similar boat.

Information required for VISA

Apply for a Schengen 90 day short stay visa, family member of EU citizen category;
Have valid passports of applicants and passport style photographs etc;
Have the necessary travel insurance, e to the value of 30,000 Euros;
Sponsor letter for spouse to join you in Belgium;
Ticket reservation, this be one way to Belgium but the embasy recommends its return to avoid issues with airlines;
Attested and translated marriage certificate;

Cost of the visa: visa is free of visa fee (but of handling fees from Gerry / VFS)
thanks for confirming. have you applied yet?

Battlestar

Post by Battlestar » Wed Jan 11, 2017 10:07 am

Hi FSA,

I will be applying on this weekend.

Just out of interest I assume ocne does not state that they are applying for the visa to meet their partner/spouse with the intention of applying for a residence permit after three months, or can you do so if asked at the interview. I am assuming not as you have to show you are only going for a trip and have full intentions of coming back to your departure country.

Thanks

mgb

Post by mgb » Wed Jan 11, 2017 10:59 am

The plan doesn't matter. The 3 month due to article 6 of the directive are unconditional.
The 3 month can be used as short time visit or as preparation for a long time stay.
Btw. a travel insurance and flight tickets are not needed due the visa handbook of the eu commission.
Additional a copy of the data page of the eu passport is needed.

Battlestar

Post by Battlestar » Thu Jan 12, 2017 12:22 pm

Thanks for the info mgb.

I've been staying at a friends house for just under a month and I've read on the embassy website that I need to show proof I am living in Belgium.

I can get a letter from my friend but it also states that I need to submit evidence of registration. I have not done this as I thought I had three months.

Could someone please advise.

Battlestar

Post by Battlestar » Fri Jan 13, 2017 10:08 am

Could anyone assist at all?

I have everything ready to submit but I'm stuck at this last hurdle.

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Fri Jan 13, 2017 2:42 pm

Have you tried googling it?
Expatica wrote: When you arrive in Belgium
Notification of presence: if you are staying less than three months

Although EU/EEA/Swiss nationals do not need a Belgian permit to live, work or study in Belgium for stays of less than three months, they do need to register their presence in Belgium. This obligation only applies when you stay in private accommodation

In principle, EU/EEA/Swiss citizens – and accompanying family members, such as legally registered partners, spouses and dependents ­ – will need to go to the local town hall (maison communale/gemeentehuis) to report their presence to the authorities within 10 days of arrival in Belgium. This obligation only applies when you stay in private accommodation, thus it is not obligatory when you are staying in a hotel or have been admitted to a hospital. To find your nearest town hall is, see here for a list of communes.

You’ll need to show your passport or ID and you’ll be given a document called a ‘declaration of arrival’ (annex 3ter), which allows you to stay on Belgian territory for up to three months.
Also see this page on the Brussels government website.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

Battlestar

Post by Battlestar » Sat Jan 14, 2017 12:52 pm

Per your signature, you are way better at googling then me. Thank you for the information and links, it has really helped.

I'll keep you all posted as to the outcome.

mgb

Post by mgb » Sat Jan 14, 2017 5:22 pm

Why do you think you need evidence of registration?
You need a declaration in writing that your wife will accompany you or you are waiting for her in Belgium.
The embassy call it "Sponsor letter for spouse to join you in Belgium".

Battlestar

Post by Battlestar » Sat Jan 14, 2017 10:43 pm

I have already arrived in Belgium and I'm waiting for her to join meif registration document is not needed,please direct me to where this is stated. Thanks

mgb

Post by mgb » Sun Jan 15, 2017 2:42 pm

Visa handbook C(2010)1620 consolidated.
Part III
3.6 supporting documents
-the visa applicant accompanies or joins an EU citizen (e.g. a proof that the EU
citizen already resides in the host Member State or a confirmation that the EU
citizen will travel to the host Member State).

It is an established principle of EU law in the area of free movement that visa applicants have the right of choice of the documentary evidence by which they wish to prove that they are covered by the Directive (i.e. of the family link, dependency …). Member States may,
however, ask for specific documents (e.g. a marriage certificate as the means of proving the existence of marriage), but should not refuse other means of proof

Battlestar

Post by Battlestar » Wed Feb 15, 2017 11:16 am

Hi guys, got the decision today 9applied on the 19/01/2017 and decision received 15/02/2017, so much for 14 days) and I've been told the visa was refused but its all in French. Is anyone able to read it for me in confidence?

Regards

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by Wanderer » Wed Feb 15, 2017 11:18 am

Battlestar wrote:Hi guys, got the decision today and I've been told the visa was refused but its all in French. Is anyone able to read it for me in confidence?

Regards
Forum is about helping others, good or bad news. Please post it here with personal details pixelated out....
An chéad stad eile Stáisiún Uí Chonghaile....

Battlestar

Post by Battlestar » Wed Feb 15, 2017 6:27 pm

Please find refusal notice below, id be grateful if someone can tell me what it says.