ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

UK citizen married to US citizen wanting to settle in German

Immigration to European countries, don't post UK or Ireland related topics!

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

creppeljp
Newly Registered

UK citizen married to US citizen wanting to settle in German

Post by creppeljp » Sun Dec 15, 2013 7:39 am

I am an American citizen and I am about to marry my partner who is a UK citizen. Once we get married we want to go to Germany to settle. We have read that he can excersize his treaty rights and settle in Germany. Here are my questions:

1-How does one exactly excersise their treaty rights?
2-As a non EU citizen married to a UK citizen, how should I go about getting to Germany with him and then legally looking for employment? Should I get a long stay visa first, or apply for spousal visa from the US?

3-Does germany have an income/savings requirement before we even attempt to relocate there?

Any help will be appreciated.

Lucapooka
Respected Guru

Post by Lucapooka » Sun Dec 15, 2013 8:03 am

1. Working, studying or financislly self-sufficient
2. Apply from inside Germany. You do need to apply for a visa to enter Germany
3. No, not under EU rules.

liksah

Post by liksah » Sun Dec 15, 2013 10:55 am

As a US citizen you wouldn't need to get a visa to enter Germany. So, once you enter you have to rent a place, register that with the local police station, they give you a receipt, and then you have to go the foreign office and apply for a residence card.

I'm actually planning a similar move with my portuguese spouse (Indian citizen here) and have asked questions about the next steps on this thread:
http://www.immigrationboards.com/viewtopic.php?t=153174

No answers so far..

creppeljp
Newly Registered

Post by creppeljp » Sun Dec 15, 2013 5:52 pm

But if I do it that way, would I still be able to look for a job and work while I am there?

liksah

Post by liksah » Mon Dec 16, 2013 3:21 am

You will certainly be able to look for a job and find work. I'm not 100% sure about the legality of starting to work (most likely your employer will wait for the residence card to come through..) while your residence card is under process. However, spouses of european citizens exercising free movement have the right to work just like their EU spouses.

My research so far says that in Germany the residence card takes just about a week or two to process whereas in Spain it can take up to 6 months. Just anecdotal stuff from google searches but the data seems to match up with what the immigration departments specify.

creppeljp
Newly Registered

Post by creppeljp » Mon Dec 16, 2013 5:25 am

My research is saying the same thing. I just thought I would get a second opinion to make sure I was understanding it right. Looks like I am on track. Cant wait to get to Germany! Thanks