ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

28 Days rule for ILR and UKBA letter for qualifying threshol

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

musaratnasreen

28 Days rule for ILR and UKBA letter for qualifying threshol

Post by musaratnasreen » Thu Oct 08, 2009 12:50 pm

It is thought provoking scenario

HSMP prior to 7 Nov 2006. UKBA letter confirms that sufficient leave to take me quaifying threshold for settlement
However I am 40 days short.What to do now. UKBA letter and 28 days rule are conflicting

PLease help me. I am confused

[/b]
Last edited by musaratnasreen on Fri Apr 01, 2011 6:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

musaratnasreen

Re: 28 Days rule for ILR and UKBA letter for qualifying thre

Post by musaratnasreen » Thu Oct 08, 2009 1:31 pm

musaratnasreen wrote:It is thought provoking scenario

. UKBA letter confirms that sufficient leave to take me quaifying threshold for settlement
However I am 40 days short

ANY ONE PLEASE HELP SENIOR MEMBERS SPECIALLY

[/b]
Last edited by musaratnasreen on Fri Apr 01, 2011 6:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

f2k
Diamond Member

Post by f2k » Thu Oct 08, 2009 1:41 pm

unfortunately because you arrive almost 3months after your initial visa stamping means you will probably have to apply for another extension in order to fulfil the 5year stay criteria. However depending on when you applied for the HSMP initially you may be affected by the JR

musaratnasreen

Post by musaratnasreen » Thu Oct 08, 2009 2:18 pm

f2k wrote:unfortunately because you arrive almost 3months after your initial visa stamping means you will probably have to apply for another extension in order to fulfil the 5year stay criteria. However depending on when you applied for the HSMP initially you may be affected by the JR
Please refer policy document a follows. UKBA should ave given me longer visa as per this.So oversight is on their part not mine. what do you suggest
More members please help how to go about in this caseMigrants who currently hold HSMP leave and have either applied for an extension of stay or will need to do so in the future
The requirements for an extension of stay will be those that were in place before 7 November 2006.
If an applicant meets these requirements we will grant them:
a.
Three years’ leave; or
b.
Enough leave to enable the applicant to complete the qualifying period for settlement,
whichever is the greater.
Last edited by musaratnasreen on Fri Apr 01, 2011 6:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

vinny

Post by vinny » Sat Oct 10, 2009 11:40 am

musaratnasreen wrote:
vinny wrote:Section 6A - Points-based system, tier 1 settlement guidance.

You may apply for settlement no sooner than 28 days before the completion of your qualifying period and before your leave expires. Unfortunately, if your leave expires before you can apply for settlement, then you should apply for an extension (cost), before your leave expires.
Dear senior members

I understand the 28 days rule on the link but i have peculiar situation. My FLR extension letter says that it is under JR and sufficient leave to take me to qualifying threshold for settlement.but time line is as follow.
Visa 19 jun 06 till 19 jun 07 stamped on 19 jun 06
Extension until 19 jun 08 stamped on 9oct 07(To correct mistake while issuing first visa which should have been for 2 years)
FLR for 3 years till 4 Aug 2011 with above statement stamped on 13 Auf 2008
I landed here on 14 sep 2006 i.e approx 3 months late.
How do i go about it for ILR in 2011
Do i need extension as i am short by 40 days or UKBA committment that my FLR is sufficient to take me to qualifying threshold for settlement will be honoured

I WILL APPRECIATE your comments and personal experiences
Exten
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

vinny

Post by vinny » Sat Oct 10, 2009 11:43 am

musaratnasreen wrote:I got my FLR for 3 years till 4th Aug 2011 under JR . As per policy document of UKBA I should have been given extension for 3 years or enough leave to take me to qualifying threshold for ILR which ever is greater. Although cover letter from UKBA does mention that my leave is sufficient to take me to qualifying threshold whereas actually it is not. I will be short by 40 days from 5 years. Can you suggest what I should do
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.

musaratnasreen

Post by musaratnasreen » Sat Oct 10, 2009 12:14 pm

Dear vinny
Please help me to clarify this
1) 28 days rule is thoroughly understood with all references
2) Migrants who currently hold HSMP leave and have either applied for an extension of stay or will need to do so in the future
The requirements for an extension of stay will be those that were in place before 7 November 2006.
a.
Three years’ leave; or
b.
Enough leave to enable the applicant to complete the qualifying period for settlement,
whichever is the greater.

Since my leave is not sufficient for ILR, which as per policy document should have been, what should I do. Write to UKBA to extend my leave in line with policy document or wait till reaching close to ILR

vinny wrote:
musaratnasreen wrote:
vinny wrote:Section 6A - Points-based system, tier 1 settlement guidance.

You may apply for settlement no sooner than 28 days before the completion of your qualifying period and before your leave expires. Unfortunately, if your leave expires before you can apply for settlement, then you should apply for an extension (cost), before your leave expires.
Dear senior members

I understand the 28 days rule on the link but i have peculiar situation.
Do i need extension as i am short by 40 days or UKBA committment that my FLR is sufficient to take me to qualifying threshold for settlement will be honoured

I WILL APPRECIATE your comments and personal experiences
Exten
Last edited by musaratnasreen on Fri Apr 01, 2011 6:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.

vinny

Post by vinny » Sun Oct 11, 2009 12:50 am

A problem is that the qualifying period started when you initially entered the UK under the relevant category.

musaratnasreen

Post by musaratnasreen » Sun Oct 11, 2009 2:03 pm

Hi Vinny
I think we are close to results. One must enter within 28 days after visa. Please can you help to clarify the statement in policy document which says we will give you 3 years or sufficient leave to take you to qualifying threshold for settlement which ever is greater.
vinny wrote:A problem is that the qualifying period started when you initially entered the UK under the relevant category.
Last edited by musaratnasreen on Fri Apr 01, 2011 6:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

khalidmirza
Member of Standing

Post by khalidmirza » Tue Oct 13, 2009 8:47 am

It is very confusing. Days calculation suggest another extension. UKBA letter and policy documents tell a different story. may be you write to home office as i find no satisfactory reply to your query on this forum. If any member can read it carefully and suggest the remedy, you would be lucky.Here people only quote one side of story. Senior members can comment

musaratnasreen wrote:Hi Vinny
I think we are close to results. One must enter within 28 days after visa. Please can you help to clarify the statement in policy document which says we will give you 3 years or sufficient leave to take you to qualifying threshold for settlement which ever is greater. While my initial visa was from 19 jun 2006, and I was given 3 years one month and 15 days from 19th jun 2008 till 4th Aug 2011. Why could they not give 12 extra days to qualify their statement in the the cover letter.
vinny wrote:A problem is that the qualifying period started when you initially entered the UK under the relevant category.

bani

Post by bani » Tue Oct 13, 2009 10:24 am

I suggest you write them back and include photocopies of the letter and visa. It could be they just made a mistake, it's easy to make a mistake with subtracting 28 days. It's true that under last year's JR, they should have given you extension enough to take you to the settlement requirement.

newuser11
Newly Registered

Post by newuser11 » Tue Oct 13, 2009 4:08 pm

I think you have to apply for another extension that will be for 3 years.

I got HSMP on 09/09/04
Came to UK 09/10/04

Home office has not refunded the fee to me as i was short of 2 days only. :)

khalidmirza
Member of Standing

Post by khalidmirza » Tue Oct 13, 2009 7:16 pm

Hi Bani.

I know home office is pretty strict on days calculation. If you got hsmp on 09/09/04, it means you would have got one year visa and then extension of 3 years on 09/09/05 till 09/09/08. Presumably you would have applied for one more extension on 09/09/08 for 3 years under JR of Apr 2008. You must have applied for ILR after Apr 2009 JR(4 years continuous stay). So in your case there is no calculation of days anyway.In this case UKBA has confirmed in the letter and their own policy document that they would give you 3 years or sufficient leave to take you to ILR. Therefore I feel in the policy document they have relaxed the rule of travelling within 28 days for hsmp holders. Members should take the advantage o this clause which is very clear and ask home office to give you enough leave even if it is more than 3 years. Please try to see behind the lines. Policy document negates the requriment to travel within 28 days for hsmpian covered under JR of 2008.

newuser11 wrote:I think you have to apply for another extension that will be for 3 years.

I got HSMP on 09/09/04
Came to UK 09/10/04

musaratnasreen

Post by musaratnasreen » Wed Oct 14, 2009 9:22 am

Thank you all specially Vinny, Bani, khalidmirza, newuser

Please comment on the policy document statement. What it really means. If I have to go for extension I would. Let my case go to home office. For th benefits for other members please help if you understand different meaning of this statement

HSMP FORUM LTD JUDICIAL REVIEW: POLICY DOCUMENT

Migrants who currently hold HSMP leave and have either applied for an extension of stay or will need to do so in the future
a.
Three years’ leave; or
b.
whichever is the greater

.In this case UKBA has confirmed in the letter and their own policy document that they would give you 3 years or sufficient leave to take you to ILR. Therefore I feel in the policy document they have relaxed the rule of travelling within 28 days for hsmp holders. Members should take the advantage o this clause which is very clear and ask home office to give you enough leave even if it is more than 3 years. Please try to see behind the lines. Policy document negates the requriment to travel within 28 days for hsmpian covered under JR of 2008.

khalidmirza
Member of Standing

Post by khalidmirza » Wed Oct 14, 2009 12:08 pm

You can write to home office for clarification or ask immigration solicitor when you apply for ILR. My understanding is that in policy document what really they wanted to write was whichever is shorter. As Tier 1 or any extension was supposed to be 3 years and not more.
a.
Three years’ leave; or
b.
whichever is the greater
[/b]

bani

Post by bani » Wed Oct 14, 2009 12:16 pm

They should have given you a longer FLR/extension based on that JR policy. I would write them and include the policy, a copy of their letter, a copy of your visa.

They will not relax the ILR requirement (has to be 5 years minus 28 days), but they should have given you a longer extension under JR (2008).

It's good that you are dealing with this now, rather than when it is time for you to apply for ILR.

bani

Post by bani » Wed Oct 14, 2009 12:22 pm

newuser11 wrote:I think you have to apply for another extension that will be for 3 years.

I got HSMP on 09/09/04
Came to UK 09/10/04

Hi newuser, that is too bad.

I think the OP's FLR/extension is different from yours though. He got his after the first HSMP JR in 2008. And they should have given him greater than 3 years based on the policy document.

In your case, you got your first extension in 2005, they really just gave out three years at that time. So you needed a second extension. A lot of people did not get their refund for this reason. The way I see it, if you waited that long before entering the UK, you probably had a very good reason (job, family, preparation) that was worth more than the £750 refund. So I would not dwell on it. Good luck.

khalidmirza
Member of Standing

Post by khalidmirza » Wed Oct 14, 2009 3:27 pm

Hey Bani

I agree with you hundred percent. As I see the time line if they have given 3 years one and half months from 19th jun 2008, they could have given 3 years 2 months as well. Probably since visa was issued on 4th aug 2008 that is why they gave it till 4th aug 2011.They did not realize that musaratnsreen entered on 14th sep 2006.It was just unlucky that visa was approved on 4th aug 2006. Had it been delayed for 2 more weeks there would have been no problem.One lesson for all here is to relax and wait patiently .There may be something good in basket. In my opinion home office can correct it under the policy document

bani wrote:They should have given you a longer FLR/extension based on that JR policy. I would write them and include the policy, a copy of their letter, a copy of your visa.

They will not relax the ILR requirement (has to be 5 years minus 28 days), but they should have given you a longer extension under JR (2008).

It's good that you are dealing with this now, rather than when it is time for you to apply for ILR.

pullikanti

Post by pullikanti » Sat Feb 05, 2011 3:39 pm

Hi,
I am also in same situation.
I got HSMP approval on 22 Nov 2006 (I applied before 6 Nov 06 but got approval on 22 Nov 06) and got visa stamping on Feb 14 2007 till Feb 14 2009. But I entered UK on 22 Apr 2007.
Then I applied for FLR and got visa extension as Tier 1 (General) till 14 Feb 2012.
The UKBA letter says that this is sufficient to take me to qualifying threshold.
But as I entered UK 67 days afte getting initial visa stamping, I am falling short by 39 days to complete 5 year period.

Can anyone please suggest what to do - Apply for another extension or apply to ILR?

Musaratnasreen, please can you say whether you got answer to your problem.

Thanks in advance.

khalidmirza
Member of Standing

Post by khalidmirza » Fri Apr 01, 2011 3:49 pm

Hi pullikanti
Good news for you. Musaratnasreen kept asking this specific questions repeatedly but unfortunately all forum gurus avoided the answer by quoting other rules not relevant in her case. Later in the new Draft Version for case workers UKBA has eventually agreed to give you ILR 5 years MINUS 3 moths (Instead of 28 days). If you did not extend ,please do not do it now as you will get ILR three months earlier. Eventually my point proved. THANK GOD.
pullikanti wrote:Hi,
I am also in same situation.
I got HSMP approval on 22 Nov 2006 (I applied before 6 Nov 06 but got approval on 22 Nov 06) and got visa stamping on Feb 14 2007 till Feb 14 2009. But I entered UK on 22 Apr 2007.
Then I applied for FLR and got visa extension as Tier 1 (General) till 14 Feb 2012.
The UKBA letter says that this is sufficient to take me to qualifying threshold.
But as I entered UK 67 days afte getting initial visa stamping, I am falling short by 39 days to complete 5 year period.

Can anyone please suggest what to do - Apply for another extension or apply to ILR?

Musaratnasreen, please can you say whether you got answer to your problem.

Thanks in advance.