ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

6 month general visitor visa

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

Dfc2013
Newly Registered

6 month general visitor visa

Post by Dfc2013 » Sat Aug 23, 2014 5:01 pm

Hi,

My parents have previsouly sponsored my boyfriendfrom Turkey to visit during the winter.
Previously we stated 2 weeks at christmas in his invite however he was granted 6 month multi entry so he returned.

However I have since read that in some cases people don't get given 6 months, only 3? This year we wanted to state a month but still want the 6 minth multi entry, shall we state we want 6 months max in the invite just incase? In what case do they give only 3 months if anyone knows or is it just luck?

MPH80
Respected Guru

Re: 6 month general visitor visa

Post by MPH80 » Sat Aug 23, 2014 6:48 pm

I've only heard of '3 month' type cases where the border agent decides (at the border) to limit the individual to just the period they are saying they are going to stay (rather than the remaining time on their visa).

Don't say he's going to stay longer than you plan for - that can raise more questions - e.g. how can that person stay away from the home country for so long? Surely their ties to the home country must be weak? How can they afford it? etc.

dmp

Post by dmp » Tue Aug 26, 2014 11:05 pm

Dfc
An invitation of 3-4 weeks should be ok.

Dfc2013
Newly Registered

Post by Dfc2013 » Wed Aug 27, 2014 6:17 am

MPH80 wrote:I've only heard of '3 month' type cases where the border agent decides (at the border) to limit the individual to just the period they are saying they are going to stay (rather than the remaining time on their visa).

Don't say he's going to stay longer than you plan for - that can raise more questions - e.g. how can that person stay away from the home country for so long? Surely their ties to the home country must be weak? How can they afford it? etc.

But he can still stay longer, even though we didnt state that? Because his entitled to the full time of the visa. Seening it wasn't a problem when he came back for a second time for longer on the same visa. So when applying we should just state 1 month?

The ties to home ect, are stated in his papers.. He is a season worker and has a contract with the hotel and in the summer he helps support his family also however during the winter his sister works so they have the support there.

MPH80
Respected Guru

Post by MPH80 » Wed Aug 27, 2014 6:27 pm

Yes - he can stay for as long as the entry clearance officer at the border lets him in for.

That will normally be the remaining length of his visa when he arrives.

He can stay for as long as he wants within that timeframe. But if he plans to be here for a month - say he's going to be here for a month.

Dfc2013
Newly Registered

Post by Dfc2013 » Sun Sep 14, 2014 12:57 pm

At the moment we intend him to stay 8 weeks and we have stated this in the application but if at the end of the 8 weeks my parents are willing to let him stay longer and support him this wouldn't be a problem if he returns to Turkey before his visa expires?