ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

British Citizen Visiting the UK with non-EEA Spouse

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

Foolishgrin
Newly Registered

British Citizen Visiting the UK with non-EEA Spouse

Post by Foolishgrin » Wed Sep 17, 2008 7:37 am

Apologies if this has already been covered elsewhere but I couldn't find an obvious answer.

I am a British Citizen, resident and employed in Belgium. My wife is an Indian Citizen with a type D visa and residence permit for Belgium.

Given family and social ties to the UK, we need to visit the UK regularly. At present, my wife has a six month tourist visa for the UK which allows her to enter the UK for our short visits. She obtained this visa prior to gaining her Belgian residence permit.

The question is what would be the most appropriate UK visa for which to apply following the expiry of the existing tourist visa? Is another tourist visa - based on a sponsorship letter from my mother - most appropriate or would she be eligible for something like an EEA family permit based on the Surinder Singh case?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

vinny

Post by vinny » Wed Sep 17, 2008 9:48 am

Similar to viewvictor, your wife may apply for an EEA family permit to visit the UK with you.
EUN2.14 Can family members of British citizens qualify for an EEA family permit? ('Surinder Singh' cases) wrote:Because EEA nationals have an initial three month right of residence in the UK, there is no requirement for the British national to be a qualified person on arrival. Therefore, an EEA family permit can be issued to the family member of a British national even if they are only visiting the UK with the British national before returning to the Member State where they are resident.
Last edited by vinny on Fri Dec 23, 2011 9:20 am, edited 2 times in total.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

Foolishgrin
Newly Registered

Post by Foolishgrin » Thu Jan 22, 2009 2:43 pm

Thanks for your help.

My wife has now obtained an EEA Family permit based on these rules. The permit is valid for six months.

What would be the best thing to do after the end of the six month period? Should she apply to renew it or would it be best to apply for a UK Residence Permit during the first six month period? We continue to remain resident in the Belgium and plan to do so for the foreseable future.

vinny

Post by vinny » Fri Jan 23, 2009 12:35 am

Just reapply for an EEA family permit whenever necessary.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

Foolishgrin
Newly Registered

Re: British Citizen Visiting the UK with non-EEA Spouse

Post by Foolishgrin » Fri Aug 01, 2014 10:20 am

Hello,

Back here to ask a question after several years.

We have been continuing to follow Vinny's excellent advice and applying for an EEA Family permit for my wife every six months (5 successful applications so far as she had a two year business visa at one point).

My wife now has a Belgian permanent resident's card (type F+). Does anyone know whether this card is accepted by the UKBA, or do we need to keep applying for the EEA FP? Has anything changed with the rules that might save us the chore of completing the user-unfriendly application form and paying the admin fee for the Biometric centre in Brussels every six months?

Thanks again.