ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

British national travelling to India on Indian passport.

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

djc

British national travelling to India on Indian passport.

Post by djc » Thu Dec 18, 2014 11:03 am

Hi guys, in such a quandry !!! Need some advice.

I got naturalised 1st quarter of this year and though I should have surrendered my Indian passport, I didnt. Now I have to urgently travel to india (Need to leave on the 1st of Jan) and I just dont have the time to surrender my passport (5 working days) and then apply for a visa (another 3 -5 working days).

My question is if I were to travel on my Indian passport and carry my british passport (for re entry to the UK) what can I expect?

Would it be a case of I should have returned the passport and hence I need to go back to the Uk, no questions?
Or would I have to pay a fine (as I have heard ) and allowed entry ? If so, anyone knows the amount of fine??
Also are the authorities really strict about these things? Are they going to give me a really hard time??

Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Regards

Dev

ban.s

Re: British national travelling to India on Indian passport.

Post by ban.s » Thu Dec 18, 2014 12:03 pm

You'll need to pay the fine to the Indian authorities at the time of the surrender of indian passport. Fine is £145 per travel on Indian passport beyond the grace period, so atleast £290.
Uk authorities have no interest with your retention / surrender of indian passport.
Ensure you don't use/show your British passport in India.

dvadithala

Re: British national travelling to India on Indian passport.

Post by dvadithala » Sat Dec 27, 2014 2:52 pm

Dev - How much fine did you pay? Was there any other problem with regards your travel? Did you apply for OCI without any problem? Please can you share your experiences?

Thanks in advance.

Cheers,
Me