ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Cannot pick up the BRP within 10 days of arrival

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

alex chu
Newly Registered

Cannot pick up the BRP within 10 days of arrival

Post by alex chu » Thu Sep 03, 2015 8:17 pm

Hi,

I've recently received a tier 2 UK visa. The visa comes with instructions to pick up my BRP within 10 days of once I arrive in the UK. However, I have an important business trip abroad that will prevent me from picking up the BRP within 10 days of my arrival in the UK. The letter states that my BRP will be available for pick up on November 6 while I will arrive in UK on Oct 30 and have to leave on a 2-week trip starting from Nov 2. I wonder if anyone here has experience with not picking up your BRP within 10 days of arrival? The letter says there might be financial penalty or cancellation of visa. But has anyone been able to reschedule the BRP pick up outside the 10 days window? Should I contact the post office to schedule an earlier or later pickup ?

Thanks

Casa

Re: Cannot pick up the BRP within 10 days of arrival

Post by Casa » Thu Sep 03, 2015 8:45 pm

Your visa will not be activated until you have attended your BRP appointment. If you intend to leave the UK on your Tier 2 visa without collecting your BRP, this will not be possible as your visa will invalid. See this from the UKVI instructions:
If you do not travel to the UK within this 30 day period, your visa will expire and you will need to apply for another 30 day visa. You will have to pay a fee for this.

In essence, the above refers not only to entering the UK within the 30 day limit, but also to collecting your BRP within 10 days of arrival.
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.

Petaltop

Re: Cannot pick up the BRP within 10 days of arrival

Post by Petaltop » Fri Sep 04, 2015 12:22 am

alex chu wrote:The visa comes with instructions to pick up my BRP within 10 days of once I arrive in the UK. However, I have an important business trip abroad that will prevent me from picking up the BRP within 10 days of my arrival in the UK.
I don't think you get a choice.

"You may get a penalty or your leave can be cancelled if you don’t pick up your BRP within 10 days of your arrival in the UK."

https://www.gov.uk/biometric-residence-permits/collect