ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Denied from entry to the UK, now what?!

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

NadineB
Newly Registered

Denied from entry to the UK, now what?!

Post by NadineB » Mon Apr 07, 2014 5:00 pm

Hello!! I know that questions like this have already been posted, but I was hoping for some answers more specific to my experience!

Last week I was on my way to Northern Ireland via Dublin, was denied entry to the UK, and sent back on the next flight to Paris. Basically I was planning on spending one night in Dublin, before travelling the next day up to Belfast where I had planned through a mutual friend to volunteer in a hostel in exchange for staying for free. I thought based on the informality of it all, and because there was absolutely no money exchanging hands that I would still be considered just a tourist. I also had no return ticket to leave the UK, and not very much money, and so I realize how much of a naive red flag I was! In retrospect I realize it was my mistake to not obtain the proper visa for this, and I totally take responsibility for that! Anyways, although I wasn't entering the UK (I was going through the Dublin Airport) they phoned the UK, who denied my entry and so the Dublin authorities wouldn't allow me to enter at all. Just for some context, I am a Canadian citizen, with absolutely no criminal record or immigration problems in the past, and was allowed to enter the UK twice already in the past three months. Just this last time, I was denied!

Anyways, I have a few questions that I can't seem to find reliable answers for!

First, what will this mean for any future travel plans to the UK? I have set plans with a friend to travel there in June, and really don't want to abandon them! I don't think I have time to get a visa, and so if I was to get to the border with all of my ducks in a row (enough money in the bank, tickets booked to leave the UK back to Canada, proof that I am only a tourist with no motivation to work etc.) do you think they would let me in?

Second, what will this mean for any future travel plans to Ireland? I had already been allowed into Ireland, until they asked me a few more questions and then crossed out my entry stamp! Similar to my last question, do I just need to have my ducks in a better row? I know I was really only rejected from the UK, but since it happened in Ireland, is this a factor?

Third, I was hoping (a few years from now) to perhaps do a Master's degree in the UK! Will I ever be able to obtain a visa for that now with this on my record? Some kind immigration officers in Dublin told me that I am welcome to come back and try again, and that returning to the UK or Ireland shouldn't be a problem, but others have told me that now I have some kind of awful stain on my record!

Thank you so much for any answers you can give!!

Nadine

MPH80
Respected Guru

Re: Denied from entry to the UK, now what?!

Post by MPH80 » Mon Apr 07, 2014 7:18 pm

1. You should really apply for a tourist visa. However, you would probably be ok. But you should also be prepared to be returned on the next flight. The guarantee is a visa basically.

2. I don't know enough about Ireland to be honest.

3. You'll be fine because you'll be applying for a proper visa. Just make sure you declare this incident if the form asks for it.

NadineB
Newly Registered

Re: Denied from entry to the UK, now what?!

Post by NadineB » Wed Apr 16, 2014 9:21 pm

Thanks so much for your help! I think I might just have to nix these plans in June for the UK and only go to Ireland! I'd rather not get rejected again haha