ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Dreaming of life in the British Military

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

EpicHam
Newly Registered

Dreaming of life in the British Military

Post by EpicHam » Sun Mar 23, 2014 10:53 am

Hello everyone , this is my first post of the forum so first of all , my pleasure to be here and if I make any sort of rookie mistakes go easy on me aight' ?
aight , lets go.

After reading up on a few of the British Army articles and journal about how people from all across the world joined up and led a life in the military . Little ol' me too wants to have a go. The problem being.... nationality eligibility.

So here comes the planning.
How to reside in Britain for 5 years minimum , and optimally get IDL or British Citizenship.

Initially my plan went a little something like this.
After completing my associate degree over here at Hong Kong (and yes, I have a BNO , sadly not a CUKC because I'm born on 1994) , I plan to further my study in the Britain with the Tier 4 student visa.
In order to get the total of 5 years minimum and justify it ,

I'll first start from a foundation course (that'll be 1 year),
work my way up to bachelors' (that'll be 4 years) , - at which point I'll have reached the 5 years requirement for ILR .
Finally with the ILR , I'll finish my masters (another 2 years) , obtaining the 1 year ILR requirement and getting my British Citizenship after passing the Life in Britain test and such .

I shared my plan with some of my mates currently studying in Britain ...and what came out of their mouth broke my heart.
with the Tier 4 visa , you're expected to leave UK once you've completed your studies , which means even though one has fulfilled the 5 years requirement , you still wouldn't be able to apply for ILR....
I tried searching for more information about it on the internet but found nothing that explicitly states that time spent in the UK with the Tier 4 visa doesn't count....

In the end leaving a motivated , yet frustrated and confused youngster who dream of a life in the British military .
So ... that's my story and here I am.
Looking for answers .

Can you help?

UKBA HUNTER
BANNED

Re: Dreaming of life in the British Military

Post by UKBA HUNTER » Mon Mar 24, 2014 10:57 pm

You have formulated very strategic immigration planning but if you are not in uk then be known about UKBA, who may not like your planning :lol:
"Words build bridges into unexplored regions" Adolf Hitler

EpicHam
Newly Registered

Post by EpicHam » Tue Mar 25, 2014 5:28 am

UKBA HUNTER wrote:You have formulated very strategic immigration planning but if you are not in uk then be known about UKBA, who may not like your planning :lol:
Actually my planning has taken a bit reference to one of my fellow people's plan who is currently serving in the British army.
Lance Corporal Man Yiu Wong
She has only recently left full time education, completing an MA in Crime Science last year. She had been in the cadets in Hong Kong, and is now serving in 159 Regt, Bromwich and enjoying the opportunities the Reserves offers.

http://www.army.mod.uk/news/26139.aspx

Her example showed me that ... there is still hope somewhere.

Question tho , why wouldn't UKBA want someone to enlist in their military?
Foreigners not good enough to fight for their country or something?

toofan
Member of Standing

Post by toofan » Tue Apr 22, 2014 7:40 pm

if you fulfill the criteria they will be happy to get you in army .
You may have to fight a battle more than once to win it.
<<<<<<<TOOFAN>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>