ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Driving in UK on Non-UK/EU driving licence

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

Kundan-Yadav

Driving in UK on Non-UK/EU driving licence

Post by Kundan-Yadav » Wed Oct 26, 2016 7:40 pm

Hi,
I did some reading on the internet and came to know that you can drive a vehicle in UK on Non-UK/EU driving licence for 12 months from the time you become resident.

My Confusion is in the "Become resident" part.

I've come to UK for the second time. Previously, I was in UK on a 12 month Spouse/Dependent Visa (Short term ICT) and went back to my home country at end of Visa duration. Three months after I went back, I'd found an employer in UK and came back to UK on a new Visa (Employee sponsored long term Visa).

Now, My question is... from when does my 12 months time start..? Can I still drive on my Non-UK/EU driving licence.?

I'd really appreciate any help. Thanks a lot.

Petaltop

Re: Driving in UK on Non-UK/EU driving licence

Post by Petaltop » Thu Oct 27, 2016 11:25 am

Kundan-Yadav wrote:Hi,
Previously, I was in UK on a 12 month Spouse/Dependent Visa (Short term ICT) and went back to my home country at end of Visa duration. Three months after I went back, I'd found an employer in UK and came back to UK on a new Visa (Employee sponsored long term Visa).

Now, My question is... from when does my 12 months time start..? Can I still drive on my Non-UK/EU driving licence.?

I'd really appreciate any help. Thanks a lot.
12 months from when you were a resident - when you first arrived as a dependant of an ICT holder. That doesn't reset because you went back home to change to a Tier 2 General vias (or any other visa) .

I don't know why you just don't take the UK test? You could end up in court for a driving offence, that would be dealt with at the roadside if you had a UK DL. Car insurance should be cheaper too if you have a UK DL.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: Driving in UK on Non-UK/EU driving licence

Post by CR001 » Thu Oct 27, 2016 11:44 am

Some country driving licenses can be exchanged directly for a UK one. But there is a time limit within which this should be done.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.