ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Dual Citizen SSN Question

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

Aunty Socialite
Newly Registered

Dual Citizen SSN Question

Post by Aunty Socialite » Wed May 20, 2015 10:46 am

I hope it's okay to post this question, I have a chronic illness so I'm unable to search the website.

Can anyone tell me - I'm a dual USA/UK citizen who was born in USA but has lived in Britain for nearly 25 years. I'm getting married to a British citizen at the end of the year, when my USA passport expires.

If I don't renew my passport, do I need to inform Social Security of my new status? Or do I do that when I reach retirement age?

Also, can anyone recommend a good advice website for dual nationals?

Thank you so much in advance for any assistance you can give me, I wish you all the best. :D

secret.simon

Re: Dual Citizen SSN Question

Post by secret.simon » Fri May 22, 2015 7:03 am

I'm not conversant with US law.

But even if your passport expires, you remain a US citizen and remain responsible for tax matters anywhere in the world. A change in marital status will definitely impact on tax and legal matters. So, I believe you will need to notify not just federal, but also state (as this could impact on any personal property that you may have there) and possibly local (county/city) government agencies.