ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Getting a working visa for my Argentinian girlfriend

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

MrSandwich
Newly Registered

Getting a working visa for my Argentinian girlfriend

Post by MrSandwich » Mon Apr 25, 2016 5:22 pm

Hello,

I am French, my girlfriend is Argentinian, and we would both like to come and work in London. It is quite easy for me as I'm a member of the EEA, and I have already worked there a few times so I am confident I could find work easily again. The problem is for my girlfriend, and we were wondering what would be the best solution for her to have a chance to come and work in UK.

Here are the options I am considering:

1) Getting a PACS (french civil union) and asking for that kind of visa. But I'm not sure it works for heterosexual couples, and I'm not sure either it works if I'm not settled in UK first. Which brings me to: what does "settled" mean, do I need a visa for that or is it just me working and living in UK for a few months?

2) Ask for a working visa as a "Dependant of current work permit holder" for her. But I never had to have a working visa as I'm from the EEA, so I don't know if that can work for me?

3) Ask for a Family of settled people visa as an unmarried couple. But same thing, I don't know what settled means, and it seems to easy. Well maybe because it costs £1500 to apply... which could be a problem too :)

Please let me know what would seem the best option for you. The option doesn't have to be in my list by the way, I probably missed a lot of things. I am trying to get the maximum of informations I can get on our possibilities, and I have to admit that I am quite lost at the moment.

Thank you so much if you can help us a little bit!

Cheers,
Camille

Casa

Re: Getting a working visa for my Argentinian girlfriend

Post by Casa » Mon Apr 25, 2016 5:34 pm

MrSandwich wrote:Hello,

I am French, my girlfriend is Argentinian, and we would both like to come and work in London. It is quite easy for me as I'm a member of the EEA, and I have already worked there a few times so I am confident I could find work easily again. The problem is for my girlfriend, and we were wondering what would be the best solution for her to have a chance to come and work in UK.

Here are the options I am considering:

1) Getting a PACS (french civil union) and asking for that kind of visa. But I'm not sure it works for heterosexual couples, and I'm not sure either it works if I'm not settled in UK first. Which brings me to: what does "settled" mean, do I need a visa for that or is it just me working and living in UK for a few months? Are you are French national, resident in France? Settled in your case means having acquired Permanent Residence after 5 years of 'exercising your Treaty rights in the UK'.

2) Ask for a working visa as a "Dependant of current work permit holder" for her. But I never had to have a working visa as I'm from the EEA, so I don't know if that can work for me? Not relevant.

3) Ask for a Family of settled people visa as an unmarried couple. But same thing, I don't know what settled means, and it seems to easy. Well maybe because it costs £1500 to apply... which could be a problem too :) Assuming you don't have Permanent Residence in the UK, not possible under EEA Regulations, so not relevant. This is for those applying under UK Immigration Rules.

Please let me know what would seem the best option for you. The option doesn't have to be in my list by the way, I probably missed a lot of things. I am trying to get the maximum of informations I can get on our possibilities, and I have to admit that I am quite lost at the moment.

Thank you so much if you can help us a little bit!

Cheers,
Camille
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.

MrSandwich
Newly Registered

Post by MrSandwich » Tue Apr 26, 2016 10:27 am

Hi, thanks for the answer!

Yes I am resident in France. Does that mean there is no way she could get a working visa except finding a company that sponsors her?
2) Ask for a working visa as a "Dependant of current work permit holder" for her. But I never had to have a working visa as I'm from the EEA, so I don't know if that can work for me? Not relevant.
Is the visa "not relevant", or the fact that I'm from the EEA so I can't ask for a working visa?

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Tue Apr 26, 2016 10:38 am

MrSandwich wrote:2) Ask for a working visa as a "Dependant of current work permit holder" for her. But I never had to have a working visa as I'm from the EEA, so I don't know if that can work for me? Not relevant.
Is the visa "not relevant", or the fact that I'm from the EEA so I can't ask for a working visa?[/quote]
The visa category is not relevant because you do not require or hold a work permit.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

MrSandwich
Newly Registered

Post by MrSandwich » Tue Apr 26, 2016 10:54 am

Isn't it weird that if I were Brazilian I would need a working visa and therefore would be able to bring someone with me, but as I am french I just can't? Isn't there an equivalent of that "dependant" thing for EEA citizens?

And if not, are there any solutions for us beside getting married or finding a company to sponsor her?

Thanks

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Tue Apr 26, 2016 11:06 am

MrSandwich wrote:Isn't it weird that if I were Brazilian I would need a working visa and therefore would be able to bring someone with me, but as I am french I just can't? Isn't there an equivalent of that "dependant" thing for EEA citizens?

And if not, are there any solutions for us beside getting married or finding a company to sponsor her?

Thanks
There is but you have to prove durable relationship and if you live in France and she lives in Argentina, it is difficult.

If you marry, it is simple to apply for an EEA family permit to come to the UK.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

noajthan

Post by noajthan » Tue Apr 26, 2016 11:13 am

MrSandwich wrote:Isn't it weird that if I were Brazilian I would need a working visa and therefore would be able to bring someone with me, but as I am french I just can't? Isn't there an equivalent of that "dependant" thing for EEA citizens?

Thanks
There is no boyfriend/girlfriend path under EU rules. If you were married or in a durable relationship 'akin to marriage' it would be very straightforward.

Edit: beaten to it by CR001
All that is gold does not glitter; Not all those who wander are lost. E&OE.

MrSandwich
Newly Registered

Post by MrSandwich » Tue Apr 26, 2016 11:21 am

There is but you have to prove durable relationship and if you live in France and she lives in Argentina, it is difficult.
She's living with me in France since January, before that I lived one year with her in Buenos Aires and we also consider getting a civil union. Do you think this is not enough to prove a durable relationship? And just to be sure, which visa would that be? Thank you so much.

I also read on another topic that she could be able to work 20 hours a week with a student visa. The topic was about an American girl though, so I don't know if the same visa works for Argentinian people. Do you think that could be an option?

Thanks again

noajthan

Post by noajthan » Tue Apr 26, 2016 11:31 am

MrSandwich wrote:
She's living with me in France since January, before that I lived one year with her in Buenos Aires and we also consider getting a civil union. Do you think this is not enough to prove a durable relationship? And just to be sure, which visa would that be? Thank you so much.

I also read on another topic that she could be able to work 20 hours a week with a student visa. The topic was about an American girl though, so I don't know if the same visa works for Argentinian people. Do you think that could be an option?

Thanks again
UK student visas (tier 4) work for Argentinians just the same as for Americans.

I'm not referring to a 'visa' - its free movement rights under the Directive as applied to an unmarried partner;
ie an extended family member in EU terms.

Note HO tends to play hardball and will want to see two years or more of evidence of a durable relationship (although this is not actually required as per the purer, cleaner EU law). 18 months or so as boyfriend/girlfriend may not fly.

You can dig into this vital question in HO guidance here to see how a caseworker will assess your case:
https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/s ... _clean.pdf
- see page 13+

noajthan

Post by noajthan » Thu Jan 05, 2017 3:45 pm

@adgyt, English only - thanks.

Suggest open own topic with own question - in English.