ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Givi.g up US citizenship?

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

Zaxsaid
Newly Registered

Givi.g up US citizenship?

Post by Zaxsaid » Sat Oct 10, 2015 2:12 pm

I have read somewhere that I can go to the UK go to the US embassy and renounce my citizenship so that I can become stateless and live in the UK indefinitely

Casa

Re: Givi.g up US citizenship?

Post by Casa » Sat Oct 10, 2015 2:58 pm

The UK is party to the UN agreement on statelessness. Citizenship legislation provides that no citizen can renounce his/her citizenship without acquiring another citizenship or receiving formal and written assurances by the relevant authorities that he/she will acquire another citizenship.

You would be an illegal immigrant in the UK with no right to work, claim benefits, rent accommodation, hold a driving licence or bank account...and you risk being detained. :|
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by Wanderer » Sat Oct 10, 2015 6:12 pm

Zaxsaid wrote:I have read somewhere that I can go to the UK go to the US embassy and renounce my citizenship so that I can become stateless and live in the UK indefinitely
Not if you've made yourself stateless, you'll just have to qualify like everyone else....
An chéad stad eile Stáisiún Uí Chonghaile....

Zaxsaid
Newly Registered

Post by Zaxsaid » Sat Oct 10, 2015 7:27 pm

so the only way i can renounce my citizenship and become stateless is to acquire another citizenship in another country?

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by Wanderer » Sat Oct 10, 2015 8:07 pm

Zaxsaid wrote:so the only way i can renounce my citizenship and become stateless is to acquire another citizenship in another country?
Well, then you wouldn't be stateless would you as you'd have another citizenship to fall back on....

Aside from that - there's no free lunch when it comes to gaining another citizenship, you have to qualify. What are you trying to achieve?

Zaxsaid
Newly Registered

Post by Zaxsaid » Sat Oct 10, 2015 8:18 pm

I want to finish school here in the US but i want to then live in the UK indefinitely

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by Wanderer » Sat Oct 10, 2015 8:30 pm

Zaxsaid wrote:I want to finish school here in the US but i want to then live in the UK indefinitely
Then your options are:

1. Marriage (drastic)
2. Student (very expensive)
3. Work Permit (need to be highly skilled)
4. Entrepreneur (need business plan and £200,000)
5. Ancestry (need a Commonwealth grandparent)
6. EU citizenship (need a parent or if Irish a grandparent will do who is a citizen of said EU State).
7. Asylum/Refugee (unrealistic)
8. Spanish 'Golden Visa' that gives EU citizenship in some timeframe (need to buy a property in Spain or something - this is a pretty desperate one, needs some cash)

No easy way I'm afraid.

Zaxsaid
Newly Registered

Post by Zaxsaid » Sat Oct 10, 2015 9:04 pm

it seems my only options are either 3 or 4. for number 4 would i need to start a new business or would it work if I invest it into a business that already exist

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by Wanderer » Sat Oct 10, 2015 9:13 pm

Zaxsaid wrote:it seems my only options are either 3 or 4. for number 4 would i need to start a new business or would it work if I invest it into a business that already exist
Yes, for 3. u'd need a UK sponsor and fulfil the RMLT and but paid something like £35k a year, around $60k I think, and for 4, you'll need a viable provable business plan, be ready to employ three (I think) UK/EU workers, and have £200k ($350k) funds either new business or existing.

Zaxsaid
Newly Registered

Post by Zaxsaid » Sat Oct 10, 2015 9:17 pm

does that only extend to just me or am i allowed to bring my family with me?

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by Wanderer » Sat Oct 10, 2015 9:20 pm

Zaxsaid wrote:does that only extend to just me or am i allowed to bring my family with me?
Spouse and children basically. UK does not support chain migration of siblings or parents etc.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Sat Oct 10, 2015 11:22 pm

http://www.immigrationboards.com/genera ... l#p1242699

http://www.immigrationboards.com/uk-tie ... l#p1249209

http://www.immigrationboards.com/genera ... l#p1255104

Why are you so desperate to come to the UK? It is not as easy as you seem to think it is. Ask anyone of us who have been through the whole immigration process, it is very tough and very expensive and often very isolating (and the weather is miserable).
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by Wanderer » Sun Oct 11, 2015 9:35 am

CR001 wrote:(and the weather is miserable).
I prefer 'bracing'!

Zaxsaid
Newly Registered

Post by Zaxsaid » Sun Oct 11, 2015 7:04 pm

CR001 wrote:http://www.immigrationboards.com/genera ... l#p1242699

Why are you so desperate to come to the UK? It is not as easy as you seem to think it is. Ask anyone of us who have been through the whole immigration process, it is very tough and very expensive and often very isolating (and the weather is miserable).
The weather is one of the reasons I want to move there another is I want to get away from bad people renounce my citizenship and never come back the 3rd reason is im Muslim and Halal shops are everywhere its just every time ive come there ive always loved it and I find it very difficult to leave if there wasn't a time restriction and i would be allowed to work there without a visa I'd do it in a heart beat.

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by Wanderer » Sun Oct 11, 2015 8:02 pm

Zaxsaid wrote:
CR001 wrote:http://www.immigrationboards.com/genera ... l#p1242699

The weather is one of the reasons I want to move there another is I want to get away from bad people renounce my citizenship and never come back the 3rd reason is im Muslim and Halal shops are everywhere its just every time ive come there ive always loved it and I find it very difficult to leave if there wasn't a time restriction and i would be allowed to work there without a visa I'd do it in a heart beat.
Try Muslim States that may allow immigration for yourself, or find a Muslim-centric place in US and A.

Zaxsaid
Newly Registered

Post by Zaxsaid » Sun Oct 11, 2015 10:20 pm

Most the places ive come up with are extremely hot im also looking for somewhere cold rainy even snowy

umm i thought about it what if someone I know there owns a business would they be able to get a sponsoring license and be able to sponsor me

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by Wanderer » Mon Oct 12, 2015 7:50 am

Zaxsaid wrote:Most the places ive come up with are extremely hot im also looking for somewhere cold rainy even snowy

umm i thought about it what if someone I know there owns a business would they be able to get a sponsoring license and be able to sponsor me
They could obtain a sponsors licence (not free) but not to sponsor a specific person. The position would have to be highly skilled or on the shortage list and first offered out/advertised to UK/EU candidates first.

Zaxsaid
Newly Registered

Post by Zaxsaid » Mon Oct 12, 2015 10:30 pm

I was looking into the golden visa and I think I can make it work
http://www.goldenvisas.com/europe/

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by Wanderer » Tue Oct 13, 2015 8:39 am

Zaxsaid wrote:I was looking into the golden visa and I think I can make it work
http://www.goldenvisas.com/europe/
You'd need £200,000 at least for that!

Zaxsaid
Newly Registered

Post by Zaxsaid » Wed Oct 14, 2015 12:18 am

for Spain?

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Wed Oct 14, 2015 5:37 am

€500,000 needed for Spain.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by Wanderer » Wed Oct 14, 2015 7:39 am

Plus these visas do not give full EU rights for 5 years so no freedom of movement to UK until then, if we are still in EU ;)

Zaxsaid
Newly Registered

Post by Zaxsaid » Wed Oct 14, 2015 5:54 pm

Y is it so complicating just to move to another country. I'd Easily give up my citizenship for UK citizenship in a heart beat

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by Wanderer » Wed Oct 14, 2015 7:42 pm

Zaxsaid wrote:Y is it so complicating just to move to another country. I'd Easily give up my citizenship for UK citizenship in a heart beat
You're young, when I was a young lad I wanted to live and work in USA, how having been there a worked a bit on secondment I don't want to go back ever.

Things are different when u get a bit older.

Zaxsaid
Newly Registered

Post by Zaxsaid » Wed Oct 14, 2015 8:40 pm

I don't hate it here in the US housing personally is a bit better in my opinion but its not the house the money or anything but people I want to get away from and the weather personally is so much better there I love the cold weather and rain because i find it very difficult to breath in the heat and I want to be where my family is and thats only in either San Diego (way to hot) or London ( Weathers perfect for me)