ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Health Surcharge

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

sghughes42
Newly Registered

Health Surcharge

Post by sghughes42 » Wed Apr 15, 2015 8:58 pm

I'm hoping someone on here can clear up a few things about this new health surcharge as the official site is less than useless in our circumstances.

My wife is about 18 months in to the first half of her spouse visa. Originally I didn't think they could change the rules part-way through the visa process but I now get the impression we will have to pay this when it comes to getting the second half of the visa. Is this correct? Also, will it be £500 or £600? I can't tell if it just covers the 2.5 years of the visa or if they round it up to allow time to get ILR.

A more important question in a way, what is her situation now? Is she still able to use the NHS or will she be charged with the 50% premium? As above, I can't see it is fair to change things once she has started the visa process but as almost every political party is over-reacting to the immigration waffle stirred up by the gutter press nothing would surprise me...

If she would have to pay to use the NHS as it stands, can we pay the surcharge now even though she is already on a visa?

This is quite important to us as we are planning children and the scope for hospital fees is quite significant if we would be charged! (Which again makes a mockery of this policy as if the British partner was the woman this wouldn't apply...)

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: Health Surcharge

Post by CR001 » Thu Apr 16, 2015 12:30 am

She can continue to use the NHS without paying the surcharge. It is only applicable for applications, new or extensions, from 6 April 2015 and not for people who already have valid visas prior to this date.

At visa ectension the surcharge will be £500 to cover the visa duration of 1.5 years.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.