ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Husband/Wife' Asylum claim-on the verge of splitting up!

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

gollywood
Member of Standing

Husband/Wife' Asylum claim-on the verge of splitting up!

Post by gollywood » Wed Nov 14, 2012 5:47 pm

Hi, need a bit of advice for a family that I am friendly with as I helped them out some time ago. They are currently in the Asylum system awaiting a decision after their appeal was heard last year.

However, for one reason or another, their marriage is on the rocks, and they are barely on talking terms / separate beds & each day it gets worse. From where I stand, I cant see it lasting, as they detest the sight of each other

Worst case scenario, if they wanted to or had to split up / get divorced, how does that impact their application? The initial application (made in husband's name) was rejected, they appealed & its been in limbo since, with no decision made either way & that was exactly a year ago)

They also have 3 young children under 6 if that helps.

gollywood
Member of Standing

Post by gollywood » Sun Nov 18, 2012 12:52 pm

Any advice on this? They dont have any family or friends that could assist in reconciliation, hence the state they are at now. Thanks.

gollywood
Member of Standing

Post by gollywood » Tue Nov 20, 2012 6:24 pm

Going to ask one more time! Anyone shed light on such a scenario before its too late?

Husband has left the home & living with some individuals they met whilst in an Asylum centre.

They wont approach their legal rep & they are embarrased by the situation

Greenie
Respected Guru

Post by Greenie » Tue Nov 20, 2012 6:29 pm

Well they need to swallow their pride and approach their legal rep.
You can't expect advice on an asylum matter from a public forum.
The wife would need to claim asylum in her own right if she has her own fear of return and she were no longer dependent on the husbands claim. I am not going to elaborate further because they need advice from a competent professional.

gollywood
Member of Standing

Post by gollywood » Tue Dec 04, 2012 12:05 am

Greenie wrote:Well they need to swallow their pride and approach their legal rep.
You can't expect advice on an asylum matter from a public forum.
The wife would need to claim asylum in her own right if she has her own fear of return and she were no longer dependent on the husbands claim. I am not going to elaborate further because they need advice from a competent professional.
I agree with you fully Greenie! They need to 'man' up & face the issues urgently or face screwing up their lives even more than they they already were when in their home country!

gollywood
Member of Standing

Post by gollywood » Thu Jul 04, 2013 6:21 pm

Just a quick update/request for advice.

The husband wants to file for divorce, and leave his wife. He is seeing his solicitor but knows the solicitor will ask him to 'grin & bear it' until their asylum case is resolved.

As I am am friendly with both parties, what do I advise the wife? To find her own solicitor? Does she need to make her own application? etc etc

Could the husband remove his wife's name from his application & ask her to go it alone - as he was the one at risk in his homeland.

gollywood
Member of Standing

Re: Husband/Wife' Asylum claim-on the verge of splitting up!

Post by gollywood » Fri Sep 19, 2014 8:09 am

Just a quick update on this. They did resolve their differences and were living amicably together since 2012.

However, out of the blue, the wife left the house one morning with children & did not return. The police called & then arrived to take some of her belongings telling the husband that his wife didnt want to return / wanted a divorce. The reason was 'that they did not get along / 'didnt ask me if I was well or not' etc'. (no abuse/violence/threats etc etc)

If my wife went to the police saying she didnt get on with me because I hadnt paid her compliments/noticed her new dress, I'm sure they'd send her home for time wasting!!

The entire asylum case was based on what happened to the husband in his home country. Can the wife leave him & still be covered by asylum rules/criteria.

Also, he has no idea where they are - does he have any rights over the children? (being able to see them etc)

Finally. My personal belief is that she is INCAPABLE of looking after the children for a number of reasons. Could other relatives apply to look after their children until the 2 idiot parents resolve their issues?

Call me dude
Nigeria

Post by Call me dude » Mon Sep 22, 2014 12:38 pm

Why do you think she can't look after the children?
It is well

PaperPusher
Respected Guru

Post by PaperPusher » Mon Sep 22, 2014 6:18 pm

gollywood wrote:Just a quick update on this. They did resolve their differences and were living amicably together since 2012.

However, out of the blue, the wife left the house one morning with children & did not return. The police called & then arrived to take some of her belongings telling the husband that his wife didnt want to return / wanted a divorce. The reason was 'that they did not get along / 'didnt ask me if I was well or not' etc'. (no abuse/violence/threats etc etc)

If my wife went to the police saying she didnt get on with me because I hadnt paid her compliments/noticed her new dress, I'm sure they'd send her home for time wasting!!

The entire asylum case was based on what happened to the husband in his home country. Can the wife leave him & still be covered by asylum rules/criteria.

Also, he has no idea where they are - does he have any rights over the children? (being able to see them etc)

Finally. My personal belief is that she is INCAPABLE of looking after the children for a number of reasons. Could other relatives apply to look after their children until the 2 idiot parents resolve their issues?
They didn't help because she said he wasn't nice to her, but because the police know from bitter experience that the time that there is most likely to be violence or a murder are when a relationship breaks down. The children needed their things and maybe she was frightened.

Of course the children have rights to see both parents, barring things like domestic abuse, neglect etc.

I do wonder what terrific insight you have to make you sure that she is incapable of looking after the children. If you are concerned about them then social services can support the family.

Call me dude
Nigeria

Post by Call me dude » Wed Sep 24, 2014 8:10 pm

E
PaperPusher wrote:
gollywood wrote:Just a quick update on this. They did resolve their differences and were living amicably together since 2012.

They didn't help because she said he wasn't nice to her, but because the police know from bitter experience that the time that there is most likely to be violence or a murder are when a relationship breaks down. The children needed their things and maybe she was frightened.

Of course the children have rights to see both parents, barring things like domestic abuse, neglect etc.

I do wonder what terrific insight you have to make you sure that she is incapable of looking after the children. If you are concerned about them then social services can support the family.

On point paper pusher...it's not nice to take side when it comes to matters like this..from what gollywood said seems to me the woman might have gone through emotional abuse,for her to feel its best to leave the house with the kids.
It is well

gollywood
Member of Standing

Post by gollywood » Sat Sep 27, 2014 8:06 pm

Call me dude wrote:Why do you think she can't look after the children?

She has returned home. Out of the blue she called a friend and said she wanted to return. She had no contact with the husband whilst she was away, so wasnt pressurised into returning. Husband was just getting advice on how he could arrange to see the kids & was told that could be a lengthy process.

She contacted the police & social services to say she made up all the allegations - because the husband spend too much time on Facebook & wanted to teach him a lesson!!

Thats why I dont think she is not good for the kids. Just my opinion.