ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

I don't understand this at all - visitor visa

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

lonetraider
Newly Registered

I don't understand this at all - visitor visa

Post by lonetraider » Wed Feb 03, 2016 10:38 pm

Hello, I'm very sorry if I make a fool of myself and ask a really simple question here. I'm just sick of looking on the internet, talking to people on the phone and not getting anywhere.

I have a girlfriend from the Philippians, we've been going out for a while now but only on Skype. I am trying to get a visit arranged for her, and she's adamant that she's going to pay for all this - she's refusing any financial help so this will delay us more.

Anyway, I know I have to get an invitation letter, but I have the following questions;

Do I write the letter myself, or do I apply for a letter of invitation?

What kind of evidence do I need to send along with this invitation to help the application and do I need to send original copies?

Do I send the letter of invitation to her, or to someone else?

Many thanks for any help, and I'm sorry if these questions are silly. We are both getting very frustrated with all of this and we are both new to this kind of thing.

noajthan

Re: I don't understand this at all - visitor visa

Post by noajthan » Wed Feb 03, 2016 10:42 pm

Moving your post to a more appropriate forum.

It's not a silly question.

Members will be sure to assist, just give it a little time.
All that is gold does not glitter; Not all those who wander are lost. E&OE.

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by Wanderer » Wed Feb 03, 2016 10:45 pm

If you've never met her she's not your girlfriend. She's a penpal at most.

Easier for you to go there.
An chéad stad eile Stáisiún Uí Chonghaile....

lonetraider
Newly Registered

Post by lonetraider » Wed Feb 03, 2016 11:07 pm

If you've never met her she's not your girlfriend. She's a penpal at most.

Easier for you to go there.
=========
I will be, and she is my girlfriend - you know nothing of my circumstances. I know what I'm doing regarding that side of things. Last serious relationship I had was with a Spanish woman, online relationship for around 6 months, and she ended up living with me for nearly 5 years.

Best keeping on topic I think.

lonetraider
Newly Registered

Post by lonetraider » Wed Feb 03, 2016 11:08 pm

noajthan wrote:Moving your post to a more appropriate forum.

It's not a silly question.

Members will be sure to assist, just give it a little time.
Thanks for that noajthan, much appreciated :)

ALKB
Respected Guru
Germany

Post by ALKB » Fri Feb 05, 2016 12:20 pm

lonetraider wrote:Hello, I'm very sorry if I make a fool of myself and ask a really simple question here. I'm just sick of looking on the internet, talking to people on the phone and not getting anywhere.

I have a girlfriend from the Philippians, we've been going out for a while now but only on Skype. I am trying to get a visit arranged for her, and she's adamant that she's going to pay for all this - she's refusing any financial help so this will delay us more.

Anyway, I know I have to get an invitation letter, but I have the following questions;

Do I write the letter myself, or do I apply for a letter of invitation?

What kind of evidence do I need to send along with this invitation to help the application and do I need to send original copies?

Do I send the letter of invitation to her, or to someone else?

Many thanks for any help, and I'm sorry if these questions are silly. We are both getting very frustrated with all of this and we are both new to this kind of thing.

It's a letter you write yourself and address to the Entry Clearance Officer, stating that you are inviting her, for how long, when approximately, etc.

If you do not sponsor her financially, you do not need to supply bank statements and salary slips (if you do finance her stay, then you need six months worth salary slips and corresponding bank statements.

If you will provide her with accommodation you will need to show that it's adequate. When I invited my parents-in-law, I supplied the following:

- Signed invitation letter
- certified copy of my passport
- certified copy of my tenancy agreement stating how many rooms my flat has and that my family and I are the sole occupants
- original recent letter from the electoral roll (proof of address, can also be council tax bill or similar)
- original no objection letter from my landlord stating that he is fine with my parents-in-law staying with us for the duration of their visit

If you own your home, you might want to provide the property deed.

The invitation letter can go something like this but of course needs to be adapted to individual circumstances:

To the Entry Clearance Officer, British Embassy,

Re: Application for visit visa: Name of applicant; DOB XXXXXX; nationality of applicant

I am writing to confirm that I wish to invite my father-in-law, XXXXXXXXXXX to visit me in XXXXXX for approximately four weeks in order to see his grandchildren over the Easter holidays. I hope that he will be able to travel at the end of March or beginning of April 2016.

I am working in XXX for XXX.

I am renting a spacious XX-bedroom flat and am able to accommodate him for the duration of his stay in the UK.

Please find attached evidence of my accommodation as well as a letter from my landlord stating that he has no objection to my father-in-law's stay with us.

I have enclosed the following documents:

• Attested copy of my passport
• Attested copies of my tenancy agreement
• Evidence of my registration on the electoral roll (proof of address)
• Letter from landlord

Should you require any additional information, please do not hesitate to contact me.

Yours faithfully,

XXXXXX

Please note that your girlfriend will need to show evidence of strong ties to the Philippines beyond just being able to afford her visit to the UK. Ties can be a job or studies to return to, close family members she takes care of, etc.
I am not a regulated immigration advisor. I am offering an opinion and not advice.

lonetraider
Newly Registered

Post by lonetraider » Fri Feb 05, 2016 4:09 pm

Wow ALKB brilliant response and exactly the information I needed, thank you very much for taking the time to write all of that.

Hugely appreciated! :D

lonetraider
Newly Registered

Post by lonetraider » Wed Feb 10, 2016 8:16 pm

To the Entry Clearance Officer, British Embassy,

Re: Application for visit visa: *****; DOB *****; Pilipino

I am writing to confirm that I wish to invite my friend ***** to ***** to stay with me temporarily as a matter of friendship. She is quite high up in a call centre company in her own country and would also like to take this opportunity to briefly look at how British culture differs so she can better instruct her agents when dealing with British customers.
I hope that she will be able to travel at the beginning of April 2016, however I am flexible as I understand this type of thing can often take some time to go through.
I myself have been working in ***** since May 2015 for ***** as *****, and receive a generous monetary compensation for my work. Money will not be a problem regarding ***** stay, I have been her friend for a long time now and am more than willing to help finance her holiday and help her be more successful in her current job. I feel her hard work should pay off.
I am renting a spacious 2 bedroom house and am able to accommodate her for the duration of her stay in the UK. I will also be paying for the extra costs associated with her stay such as food and utilities. I am also willing to pay for her return flight back to the Philippines however she wants to pay for that herself stating that I have done enough and she wants to feel like she is contributing. However, the offer remains if she so wishes to take me up on it.
I have also supplied the following documents to support this letter of invitation;
• Attested copy of my passport
• Attested copy of my tenancy agreement
• 6 months of pay slips
Should you require any additional information, please do not hesitate to contact me.
Yours faithfully,

lonetraider
Newly Registered

Post by lonetraider » Mon Feb 22, 2016 9:55 pm

It seems that any helpful information is almost impossible to get online, broken links on websites, no dedicated helpful information on government website - funny that. Archived articles, people looking for money for advice.

I don't even know the address to send these letters to, the entry clearance officer? Where?

The whole thing stinks as far as I'm concerned, it's as if they've made it so difficult to do this just to filter out people so they don't have to deal with them.

Disgusting in my opinion. Apologies, I'm frustrated in the extreme and have no idea if anything I am doing is right or is even going to effect anything in a good way.

I don't even know what happens after the entry clearance officer receives my letter, do we have to wait till we get a reply until we can apply for a visa? What the hell actually goes on?

ALKB
Respected Guru
Germany

Post by ALKB » Tue Feb 23, 2016 10:54 pm

lonetraider wrote:It seems that any helpful information is almost impossible to get online, broken links on websites, no dedicated helpful information on government website - funny that. Archived articles, people looking for money for advice.

I don't even know the address to send these letters to, the entry clearance officer? Where?

The whole thing stinks as far as I'm concerned, it's as if they've made it so difficult to do this just to filter out people so they don't have to deal with them.

Disgusting in my opinion. Apologies, I'm frustrated in the extreme and have no idea if anything I am doing is right or is even going to effect anything in a good way.

I don't even know what happens after the entry clearance officer receives my letter, do we have to wait till we get a reply until we can apply for a visa? What the hell actually goes on?
The letter and all other documents from your side go to the visa applicant and she then submits them as part of her supporting documents when she applies for the visa.
I am not a regulated immigration advisor. I am offering an opinion and not advice.