ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

impact on ILR when moving abroad

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

papuqe
Newly Registered

impact on ILR when moving abroad

Post by papuqe » Mon Dec 15, 2014 10:42 am

hi,
i would be most grateful if anyone can help.
i have British citizenship and my wife is on early days of ILR.
i have been asked to move to USA with work. if we both move (this will be for say 3-5 or less) years, can my wife enter UK. this is only temporary move.

many thanks in advance for your help.

ban.s

Re: impact on ILR when moving abroad

Post by ban.s » Mon Dec 15, 2014 10:46 am

papuqe
Newly Registered

Post by papuqe » Mon Dec 15, 2014 12:01 pm

many thanks ban.s this is very helpful.
looks very straightforward. is it? have you heard of cases that they had any problems with this process?

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Mon Dec 15, 2014 2:55 pm

How long has your wife been resident in the UK?

Might be a lot easier if she applies for British Citizenship.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

papuqe
Newly Registered

Post by papuqe » Mon Dec 15, 2014 4:24 pm

CR001 wrote:How long has your wife been resident in the UK?

total 3 years in the uk- of that 1 student and two my spouse. now iLR... not enough to qualify for Citizenship yet.

WR1

Post by WR1 » Mon Dec 15, 2014 4:30 pm

papuqe wrote:
CR001 wrote:How long has your wife been resident in the UK?

total 3 years in the uk- of that 1 student and two my spouse. now iLR... not enough to qualify for Citizenship yet.
I believe your spouse would qualify to apply for BC.

The requirement for applying as a spouse of the British Citizen is having lived in the UK for 3 years but there is no mention of having lived as a spouse for 3 years. The exact wording is lived in the UK for 3 years before the application is received according to the gov website:

https://www.gov.uk/becoming-a-british-c ... sh-citizen
I am not an immigration adviser
Any views expressed are my own opinion and should not be considered as legal advice
No liability is accepted for the content and for the consequences of any actions taken on the basis of the information provided

ban.s

Post by ban.s » Mon Dec 15, 2014 9:43 pm

if you are British, then your wife may be eligible to apply for british citizenship now

however if you are still awaiting for your own citizenship then she can't apply now
papuqe wrote:hi,
your thoughts appreciated.
i have applied for naturalisation over 9 months ago and still no news. application checked and submitted via my local council office. money taken next day. basis of my application: HSMP + Tier 1 + ILR
contacted HO few times, they said "its in process and we will escalate it"
went to my MP who said will write to them ,,,, still nothing is working.
any advice ? ... will it help if i write a letter ? (i sent an e-mail but got generic automated reply)

thanks
p

papuqe
Newly Registered

Post by papuqe » Mon Dec 15, 2014 10:47 pm

ban.s wrote:if you are British, then your wife may be eligible to apply for british citizenship now

however if you are still awaiting for your own citizenship then she can't apply now

ban, very true,,, however i am hoping things will fall to place as they should and trying to plan ahead... if not, i will have to sit and wait
application checked by myself, solicitor and local council ... so frustrating, not much i can do.
papuqe wrote:hi,
your thoughts appreciated.
i have applied for naturalisation over 9 months ago and still no news. application checked and submitted via my local council office. money taken next day. basis of my application: HSMP + Tier 1 + ILR
contacted HO few times, they said "its in process and we will escalate it"
went to my MP who said will write to them ,,,, still nothing is working.
any advice ? ... will it help if i write a letter ? (i sent an e-mail but got generic automated reply)

thanks
p

papuqe
Newly Registered

Post by papuqe » Sun Dec 21, 2014 11:25 pm

many thanks for the information!
having done more research based on info received,,,

One Question i cant find an answer:
- if my wife has to be wait for further two=half years for ILR , if we move abroad for few years, does she loose the right for ILR and have to start the process from beginning?

vinny

Post by vinny » Sun Dec 21, 2014 11:31 pm

Unfortunately, yes.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

papuqe
Newly Registered

Post by papuqe » Sun Dec 21, 2014 11:55 pm

vinny wrote:Unfortunately, yes.

Cheers Vinny.
just checked wife's approval letter of the initial spouse visa Feb 2013 (for 2+half years). on the letter is says she can apply for ILR after two years as a spouse. What i find confusing that rules post 2012 say it must be 5 years ??? ... which rules apply to her?

vinny

Post by vinny » Sun Dec 21, 2014 11:59 pm

papuqe wrote:i have British citizenship and my wife is on early days of ILR.
I'm confused. What are your and your wife's actual status?

Do you have British citizenship and does you wife have ILR?

If she has ILR, then the returning residence provisions will be applicable when she travels.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.

papuqe
Newly Registered

Post by papuqe » Mon Dec 22, 2014 12:08 am

vinny wrote:
papuqe wrote:i have British citizenship and my wife is on early days of ILR.
I'm confused. What is your status and your wife's status?
- ok i did not want to write too much.
- my status: natutalisation in progress (delayed, assuming i will receive an answer very soon)
-wife: Spouse Visa 2.5 years (due for renewal /or ILR as per HO letter in early next year)
i have a good job offer abroad and just trying to see if i can make it work.

papuqe
Newly Registered

Post by papuqe » Mon Dec 22, 2014 12:11 am

my knowledge on spouse visa is very limited. i have done all my applications myself.

vinny

Post by vinny » Mon Dec 22, 2014 12:34 am

papuqe wrote:- ok i did not want to write too much.
Giving incorrect information will lead to answers that will not be applicable!

Every one's time and effort were wasted when responding.

papuqe
Newly Registered

Post by papuqe » Mon Dec 22, 2014 9:43 am

vinny wrote:
papuqe wrote:- ok i did not want to write too much.
Giving incorrect information will lead to answers that will not be applicable!

Every one's time and effort were wasted when responding.

i am most grateful of your and everyone's time here!
sorry if i left that impression, that certainly it was not my intention.
my very sincere apology and Thank You for your help.
(i know a bit of legislation (as it was my job long time ago), i wanted resolve only the 'missing-links').

vinny

Post by vinny » Mon Dec 22, 2014 9:50 am

If your wife doesn't have ILR and you go out of the UK for an extended period, then this may invalidate her FLR(M) and she may have to start afresh, under the 5-year rules.

If she has ILR, then she would be subject the returning residence provisions.

Safest if she applies for Citizenship as soon as possible after her being granted ILR and after you are British.

papuqe
Newly Registered

Post by papuqe » Mon Dec 22, 2014 10:15 am

Many thanks Viny.

one thing i find most confusing is that Spouse visa granted (2+half years) early March 2013, and the supporting approval letter it says to apply for ILR after 2 years, which is due soon. however new rules after june 2012 (which is the case here) state that ILR for application post mid 2012 is 5 years? ... (my feeling is that could be a mistake on the approval letter, and i dont see HO will accept ILR application after 2 years.)

vinny

Post by vinny » Mon Dec 22, 2014 10:25 am

If she made the entry clearance application prior to 9th July 2012, then it's under the 2-year rules.

papuqe
Newly Registered

Post by papuqe » Tue Dec 23, 2014 10:52 am

she was on student visa for 2 years before spouse visa so she got EC 2011. she converted to spouse early 2013.

Viny, you are sharp. i salute you !

vinny

Post by vinny » Tue Dec 23, 2014 11:10 am

Did she covert by applying for FLR(M) in country?

Was she a student or a student dependant? If it was the former, then she should have been under the 5-year route when she switched to FLR(M). 2.5 years for the initial FLR(M) seems correct then.

papuqe
Newly Registered

Post by papuqe » Tue Dec 23, 2014 11:42 am

vinny wrote:Did she covert by applying for FLR(M) in country?

Was she a student or a student dependant? If it was the former, then she should have been under the 5-year route when she switched to FLR(M). 2.5 years for the initial FLR(M) seems correct then.
She came as a student (not student dependant). before that visa expired, she applied for spouse visa FLR(M) in-country. granted in 2013 for 2+half years.
as per my previous post, i would have thought that post July 2012 rules apply to her (as she switched in 2013) so she would have to apply to extend another 2+half years before ILR application. However, on the letter of the spouse visa approval it say she can apply for ILR after 2 years. And, if this based on when EC was granted then what you said earlier makes perfect sense.

vinny

Post by vinny » Tue Dec 23, 2014 12:05 pm

Unfortunately, no. It's based on Entry clearance only if she applied for entry clearance as a dependant. She is under the 5-year route.

If she was under the 2-year route, then her FLR(M) would have been granted for 2 years (285) and not 2.5 years (D-LTRP.1.1).

I think that the letter was wrong.

sid008
Newly Registered

Post by sid008 » Mon Dec 28, 2015 3:15 am

Sorry to jump in but it may be worth having a read of THIS thread. Specifically because of your situation - awaiting Naturalisation and considering moving abroad.

If I were you, I would get my BC. Hell, even wait until the Mrs get's hers. Plenty of opportunity to then move around.