ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Lawyers writing letter

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

Ar_img

Lawyers writing letter

Post by Ar_img » Mon Sep 22, 2014 8:20 am

Hi,

So, I'm here to find out if part of the services for lawyers is writing letter for their clients. Is it?

Can you get a lawyer to just write a letter for you? A letter supporting your application?

Cheers.

Amber
Mood:

Re: Lawyers writing letter

Post by Amber » Tue Sep 23, 2014 10:28 pm

I wouldn't bother.
**this forum is not intended to be a substitute for professional advice**
Click here to send me a PM regarding an offensive post. Do NOT PM me for immigration advice.

Ar_img

Post by Ar_img » Tue Sep 23, 2014 11:12 pm

Amber wrote:I wouldn't bother.
Any reason as to why? I ask because, I'm to write a support letter for my application and I keep thinking I'm doing it wrong or it's too much/long, that they won't want to bother reading it.

Also, the context of the letter. Not only did I experience domestic violence(DV), there is a case for infidelity. Now, I'm thinking I should place more emphasis on the DV as opposed to the infidelity or do I talk about it all?

So many questions and not really getting much replies on here.

Spoke to a lawyer and I'm being charged over £300.

MPH80
Respected Guru

Post by MPH80 » Tue Sep 23, 2014 11:48 pm

Infidelity won't affect the application.

The domestic violence is the important bit.

300 for a custom letter from a lawyer is in the right ballpark IMHO.

Obie
Ireland

Post by Obie » Wed Sep 24, 2014 12:14 am

I think £300 is reasonable, provided he will do a good job of writing a properly letter, and going through you completed application, and ensure you provide the right evidence.

The reason why i may not suggest you doing it your self is because, victims of DV are emotionally scarred and writing their traumatic ordeal can amount to reliving the abuse again.

UKVI will not take that into account, they will capatalise on the mistakes.

If they are a good and respected firm, then £300.00 may not be too much.
Smooth seas do not make skilful sailors

Amber
Mood:

Post by Amber » Wed Sep 24, 2014 1:05 am

Again you don't need a solicitor's letter. To evidence DV, a letter from a GP, Social Worker or support group is far more appropriate and generally free.
**this forum is not intended to be a substitute for professional advice**
Click here to send me a PM regarding an offensive post. Do NOT PM me for immigration advice.

Ar_img

Post by Ar_img » Wed Sep 24, 2014 1:37 am

These replies are very well appreciated. Thank you!

I will take all you have said into consideration and pay the amount.

@abie. I appreciate what you said. Thing is, the lawyer said I should have one. So figured , have one it is. I'm also a male by the way. I figure this makes the application funny. As men aren't really expected to file DVD I would imagine. This makes it embarrassing for me to disclose to my referred psychologist, doctors and even the bloody police. Wish I did back then.

To be honest, I thought the price was going to be included in the final service charge of the lawyer.

Anyway, Once again, thank you for clearing this up for me. Much appreciated!