ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Please Help, Failed Asylum

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

LiveAndLetLive
Newly Registered

Please Help, Failed Asylum

Post by LiveAndLetLive » Fri May 06, 2016 6:45 pm

Hello Everyone,

Thank you for visiting my topic, I hope you can all help me :)

Okay so I'm a 24 year old, employed British female.
I have been in a genuine relationship since I was 18. We both met at college.
He is a refused asylum seeker. He has exhausted all his asylum claims.

For a long time I didn't marry him because of cultural differences and my parents didn't want to accept it (story of my damn life). But now I've had enough and We really want to get married. Plus I want to go back to his country and visit his family with him too.

Please can you tell me what can we do. I have spoken to immigration officers in my family and they have given their advice but it sounded biased as they are within the family. Like what is the process. Is it simply. We get married at the registry and then he applies for a visa.

Please if you would kindly give me your best advise I would be extremely grateful.

Kind regards x

Casa

Re: Please Help, Failed Asylum

Post by Casa » Fri May 06, 2016 6:58 pm

Not that simple.
1. Marriage. In order to marry in the UK you are required to register your intent with a Home Office designated Registry Office. The Registrar is then legally bound to notify the HO who can then extend the notification period from 28 to 70 days in order to interview you both. As a failed Asylum seeker with no valid leave, you should be aware that the HO could take moves to remove him from the UK before the wedding can take place.
He would also need to show his passport to the Registrar. Does he have one in his possession?

2. A visa. Even if you are very fortunate and the wedding is allowed to go ahead, this won't legalise his stay. He will be unable to apply for a spouse visa from within the UK and would have to return to his home country and apply from there. That's assuming that you as his sponsor meet the minimum income level of £18,600 and all the other requirements are met.

3. You could of course marry in his home country and apply for a spouse visa and if this is granted he could then legally re-enter the UK.
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.

noajthan

Post by noajthan » Fri May 06, 2016 7:08 pm

Or 4: marry (somewhere, possibly in home country - if, as failed asylum seeker it's possible to go 'home' - not sure);
then go and live in a.n.other Union memberstate in Europe to take the Surinder Singh route,

(Assuming no Brexit - not sure).
All that is gold does not glitter; Not all those who wander are lost. E&OE.

Casa

Post by Casa » Fri May 06, 2016 7:22 pm

noajthan wrote:Or 4: marry (somewhere, possibly home country - if, as failed asylum seeker it's possible to go 'home');
then go and live in a.n.other Union memberstate in Europe to take the Surinder Singh route;
(assuming no Brexit).
Thanks noajthan, I missed that option. I guess there's no problem travelling back to the home country, as the OP says that she wants to visit with him and meet his family. :|
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.

LiveAndLetLive
Newly Registered

Post by LiveAndLetLive » Sat May 07, 2016 9:32 am

Hello Everyone,

Thank you for your responses,

1) what about the right to marry?

Kind regards x

Casa

Post by Casa » Sat May 07, 2016 9:34 am

Casa wrote:Not that simple.
1. Marriage. In order to marry in the UK you are required to register your intent with a Home Office designated Registry Office. The Registrar is then legally bound to notify the HO who can then extend the notification period from 28 to 70 days in order to interview you both. As a failed Asylum seeker with no valid leave, you should be aware that the HO could take moves to remove him from the UK before the wedding can take place.
He would also need to show his passport to the Registrar. Does he have one in his possession?

2. A visa. Even if you are very fortunate and the wedding is allowed to go ahead, this won't legalise his stay. He will be unable to apply for a spouse visa from within the UK and would have to return to his home country and apply from there. That's assuming that you as his sponsor meet the minimum income level of £18,600 and all the other requirements are met.

3. You could of course marry in his home country and apply for a spouse visa and if this is granted he could then legally re-enter the UK.
I've already answered your question on the right to marry. See 1 above. The HO can remove someone without legal status before the marriage can go ahead.
Does he have his passport? Are you still under the misconception that by marrying he would then have the right to remain here?
(Casa, not CR001)

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Sat May 07, 2016 10:05 am

LiveAndLetLive wrote:Hello Everyone,

Thank you for your responses,

1) what about the right to marry?

Kind regards x
You have the freedom to marry whomever you like, but that does not mean that s/he gets the right to live in the UK, as Casa has already explained.

However, if you are married, he has the absolute (i.e. undeniable/can not be refused) right to live with you in any other EEA country (other than ones of which you are also a citizen).

So, your first hurdle is to actually get married.

Then, your best bet, if you want to stay together, is to move out of the UK to another EEA country and exercise treaty rights there (the UK interprets that as working there) for a few months at least, before returning to the UK under EU law.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

Casa

Post by Casa » Sat May 07, 2016 2:59 pm

The hurdle is a big one. You don't have the freedom to marry in the UK if the Home Office take the view that your relationship isn't genuine or decide to remove your partner before the marriage can take place. That's the reason for the pre-wedding interview. :|
You haven't confirmed whether he is in possession of his passport. :?:
(Casa, not CR001)

LiveAndLetLive
Newly Registered

Leave To Remain, Please Help!

Post by LiveAndLetLive » Sun May 22, 2016 9:54 pm

(: Hello All!

I hope you can all help me as I am extremely confused.

Basically my partner of 7 years is an asylum seeker.
We wanted to get married so we basically gave notice to a designated register.
Then we were told our notice is extended and we were called in to the home office for interviews.
They basically asked us loads of different questions and we had to give proof of being together.
Which was extremely easy.
They said it was okay for us to get married and gave us the go ahead.
I did ask them does this mean they were going to arrest us on the day.
And they no because we complied with them and we didn't go ahead get married without consent.

So basically now what happens?
Do I get married and my partner automatically gets citizenship, like what happens next?
Do I have to apply for a visa?
The lady in he home office seemed confused she said something about treaty rights and hi getting the same but i don't really know if she was just saying that to be honest,

Please can somebody tell me.
Kind regards
xxx

Casa

Re: Leave To Remain, Please Help!

Post by Casa » Sun May 22, 2016 10:26 pm

He's a very long way off from qualifying for British citizenship. What nationality are you?
(Casa, not CR001)

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Mon May 23, 2016 8:12 am

Casa wrote:He's a very long way off from qualifying for British citizenship. What nationality are you?
@casa, the OP is British. I have merged the two topics.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

ohara
Diamond Member

Post by ohara » Mon May 23, 2016 8:57 am

LiveAndLetLive wrote:Do I get married and my partner automatically gets citizenship
Not quite as easy as that. He will need to have been in the UK for probably a minimum of 3 years for a start.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Mon May 23, 2016 9:12 am

ohara wrote:
LiveAndLetLive wrote:Do I get married and my partner automatically gets citizenship
Not quite as easy as that. He will need to have been in the UK for probably a minimum of 3 years for a start.
It is 5 years. Spouse requires ILR first which can only be applied for after 5 years on spouse visa.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.