ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

My mother had a parent and grand parent who were British.

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

lookatbowen
Newly Registered

My mother had a parent and grand parent who were British.

Post by lookatbowen » Sun Sep 21, 2014 6:24 pm

Hello,

My mother lives in South Africa, had a father and grand parent who were British (born in Great Britain). She was born after 1948 in South Africa. We understand she has a normal application route to British Nationality. Is this true?

If it were true and she was entitled to a UK passport;

1. Does she have to come to the UK to live or can she live in any of the commonwealth countries on her UK Passport?
2. If she moved to the UK to live and didn't work, would she be entitled to claim any for of benefits?
3. I have a British passport, live and work in Great Britain, would that entitle my mother to anything (any form of benefits)?
4. Would my mother have any form of restrictions if she got her passport given she is only applying for it at the age of > 60.

Any help or clarity on the above questions will be greatly appreciated.

Regards,
Mike

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Re: My mother had a parent and grand parent who were British

Post by Wanderer » Sun Sep 21, 2014 10:10 pm

lookatbowen wrote:Hello,

My mother lives in South Africa, had a father and grand parent who were British (born in Great Britain). She was born after 1948 in South Africa. We understand she has a normal application route to British Nationality. Is this true?

If it were true and she was entitled to a UK passport;

1. Does she have to come to the UK to live or can she live in any of the commonwealth countries on her UK Passport?
2. If she moved to the UK to live and didn't work, would she be entitled to claim any for of benefits?
3. I have a British passport, live and work in Great Britain, would that entitle my mother to anything (any form of benefits)?
4. Would my mother have any form of restrictions if she got her passport given she is only applying for it at the age of > 60.

Any help or clarity on the above questions will be greatly appreciated.

Regards,
Mike
1. Assuming she's British by descent, and so entitled to a British Passport, she can live in any CW country in accordance with any visa rules applicable to a Briton.

2. No.

3. No.

4. No
An chéad stad eile Stáisiún Uí Chonghaile....

lookatbowen
Newly Registered

Re: My mother had a parent and grand parent who were British

Post by lookatbowen » Mon Sep 22, 2014 7:12 am

Thank you for your answers.