ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Need Advice: Traffic Convictions

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

Ir0nMatt
Newly Registered

Need Advice: Traffic Convictions

Post by Ir0nMatt » Fri Jun 26, 2009 11:06 pm

Greetings!

I have been living in the UK, first on a Work Permit Visa then under an HSMP visa, since March 2006. In March 2010, my current visa expires and I would like to renew under the Tier 1 (General) programme.

I assume that I will have the requisite number of points. I believe that, out of seventy five required, I have ninety or ninety-five. My problem is this: In April, I was stopped whilst driving. I have now been summoned to the Magistrate's Court for two offenses: Driving without insurance and Driving with an inappropriate license.

In the first case, I was negligent and am to blame. In the second, I was given false information by a DVLA clerk about how long I could continue to drive on my US license. However, regardless of fault, I did commit both offenses and plan to plead guilty. I accept and will pay whatever fine is levied and whatever points go on my license.

What I am concerned about is this: I know that I need to report these convictions when I reapply for my Tier 1 (General) Visa. Will this stop me from being approved? Other than this one incident, I have no other marks against me. I have been employed by prestigious institutions -- first by Oxford University and now by Imperial College London -- since I arrived in the UK. I have had no other trouble with the law. I have good earnings (about £35K) and some savings (about £4K), which is quite sufficient to live on.

Does anyone else have any experience with this sort of situation? Although I can move back to the United States relatively easily, I would very much prefer to continue living here. Thus, I would be quite grateful for any advice that anyone could give.

supercreature

Post by supercreature » Sat Jun 27, 2009 12:11 pm

I have the same situation. On FLR's or ILR's if you declare traffic convictions like 60£ and 3 points on license for wrong turn. Or speeding etc .... it should be ok and HO in my case never had any issue.

NutanRaj

Re: Need Advice: Traffic Convictions

Post by NutanRaj » Tue Jun 30, 2009 10:30 am

Ir0nMatt wrote:Greetings!

I have been living in the UK, first on a Work Permit Visa then under an HSMP visa, since March 2006. In March 2010, my current visa expires and I would like to renew under the Tier 1 (General) programme.

I assume that I will have the requisite number of points. I believe that, out of seventy five required, I have ninety or ninety-five. My problem is this: In April, I was stopped whilst driving. I have now been summoned to the Magistrate's Court for two offenses: Driving without insurance and Driving with an inappropriate license.

In the first case, I was negligent and am to blame. In the second, I was given false information by a DVLA clerk about how long I could continue to drive on my US license. However, regardless of fault, I did commit both offenses and plan to plead guilty. I accept and will pay whatever fine is levied and whatever points go on my license.

What I am concerned about is this: I know that I need to report these convictions when I reapply for my Tier 1 (General) Visa. Will this stop me from being approved? Other than this one incident, I have no other marks against me. I have been employed by prestigious institutions -- first by Oxford University and now by Imperial College London -- since I arrived in the UK. I have had no other trouble with the law. I have good earnings (about £35K) and some savings (about £4K), which is quite sufficient to live on.

Does anyone else have any experience with this sort of situation? Although I can move back to the United States relatively easily, I would very much prefer to continue living here. Thus, I would be quite grateful for any advice that anyone could give.
Declare all convictions...It will not stop issuing further extensions..but be sure that you are providing all correct information in the application form . My friendalso got 60£ and 3 point for 'Driving not accordance to License'..He got his extension on Tier1(Gen) with out any issue...

There are many cases like you on this forum...you can search..All the best and next time becareful..our each action is linked to immigration..

nksg

Re: Need Advice: Traffic Convictions

Post by nksg » Tue Jun 30, 2009 11:04 am

I myself had drunk driving conviction and my applicaton was approved just by declaring them.

so ull be fine.. as if you dont declare they will know it from the system and then ull be under the deception.. better dont tke the risk...

you are fine with every thing else..
Ir0nMatt wrote:Greetings!