Nikah Nama (Marriage Certificate) from Pakistan

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, ca.funke, Amber, sushdmehta, John, ChetanOjha, batleykhan, push, JAJ, Casa, archigabe, sbrennan, Administrator

Nikah Nama (Marriage Certificate) from Pakistan

Postby shahmir » Wed Oct 19, 2011 10:52 pm

Important news for applications from Pakistan for visa (as a wife or husband of a person residing in the UK in any category)

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/sitec ... ikah-namas
lets get together for migrants' rights
shahmir

cHanges in Nikahnama

Postby syma » Tue Oct 25, 2011 9:01 am

i understand the geting it registered part, but my nikah was done in islamabad how can i have it endorsed by a local union council as union councils only exist in rural areas( as far as i know)???
syma
Member of Standing

Postby shahmir » Tue Oct 25, 2011 9:57 am

Union Councils exist in Urban and rural areas but not in the federal or cantonment areas.

Because you live in federal area, there must be a body who register nikah namas. You can ask registrar who prepared your nikah nama.

It must be translated by a certified translator like Naeem Translation in Ayub Market G-9 Markaz. Also obtain one FRC from NADRA which is very good for embassies.
shahmir

Postby syma » Wed Oct 26, 2011 7:18 pm

So in my case just the registration should be enough? Because it clearly states registered AND endorsed by a local union council. Who will I be getting it attested by? Plus original n translation both need to be attested?
I was thinking of getting a FRC now I'll definitely get it:)
syma
Member of Standing

Postby shahmir » Wed Oct 26, 2011 10:40 pm

No. Only registration is not enough, your case isn't different. You live in an area where there is no union council. It doesn't mean that you do not need endorsement.

Remember there are always three original copies of a nikah nama. One for bride, one for groom and the third one goes to union council in most areas. In cantonment areas, the third copy goes to Cantonment Board. Similarly in the federal administered area, there must be a body who register nikah nama. So basically you need to get register with them and also need further endorsement as required by UKBA. To know about these bodies in your area, contact on isbvacmgr@gerrys.com.pk

Please try to leave your experience here in this regard.

Attestation not required because you will enclose the original. However translation is a must. It must be from a certified professional translator. The translation must include the name , signature, contact details of translator and date. Also important to get on translation that it is a 'certified true translation from _________ to English'. No other attestation is required of this translation.
shahmir

Postby zahid.ali.anwar » Thu Oct 27, 2011 7:27 am

My friend got married in September. He is on Tier 1(General) visa. At the time of his nikah, he requested for English version of Nikah Nama. He got both urdu and english at the same time, and everyone signed both urdu and english nikah nama at the time of nikah.

Once he receives his copy for both english and urdu nikahmana, he applied for NADRA nikahnama. He got that as well.

Now his wife applied for Entry clearance, and gerry refused to get the documents saying get it registered with local union council.

The lady who was submitting the documents told them, that the NADRA nikahnama is a proof that the nikahnama is registered with local union council and it is registered with the Govt of Pakistan as well.

They didn't take any hint, so she came back. She straight away went to Local Union council and requested them, to register the Nikahnama. The registrar said, that it is already registered and she is the 8th lady that came with same stupid request. He, however, attested the copy of nikahnama saying that this is true and original and the nikahnama is already registered in union council.

Today she is submitting her documents. Lets see what happens....

Now lets talk about procedure. I know that every nikah, when performed either in Home, Shaadi Hall, or Mosque, has to be registered with local union council.

@Shahmir: There are four copies of Nikahnama. First goes with Bride, Second goes with groom, Third goes with Union council record branch, and forth copy stays in the nikah register.

So this question of registering the nikahnama with local union council is a stupid idea.

UKBA without knowning the process, had implemented this requirment.

Another thing is, if they want to clean the process and stop SHAM marrriages or dual marriages, they must implement the requirment of NADRA nikahnama, not registered with local union council. As your copy of the nikahnama is always given to you, after getting it registered with local union council.

I will keep you posted about the submission of documents and decision of case, of my friends wife.

Stay tuned.....
The question is... to be or not to be....
zahid.ali.anwar
Member of Standing

Postby shahmir » Thu Oct 27, 2011 11:29 am

Absolutely right, UKBA has imposed this requirement without knowing the ground facts. I understand that NADRA issues FRC. Is it FRC you're talking about?

@zahid.ali.anwar Thanks for the correction. Yes I now remember there were four copies. However the Registrar copy also eventually goes to the Union Council or Cantonment Board. The registrar submits the whole record there with the gap of a specific period.

Most Importantly, my wife got appointment for Tuesday. Our Nikah Nama is registered with Cantonment Board as we live in cantonment area and we are not covered with any union council. Cantonment Boards actually replace Union Councils in cantonment areas and maintain register of birth and Nikah Nama etc. Unfortunately no body at Gerry's Pakistan is able to confirm that we can submit a Nikah Nama registered with Cantonment Board. They just understand the word "Union Council".

I wrote in detail about this matter to UKBA Abu Dhabi and explained that federal adminsitered area is also not covered by the Union Councils. I also have requested them to instruct the ignorant staff in Pakistan regarding Nikah Namas. Let's hope for a good answer from them. Please continue updating here with any developments.
shahmir

Nikkah Nama Registered

Postby adnan742 » Fri Oct 28, 2011 10:22 am

My wife also applying for the tier-1 gen visa on Monday, we have three original nikkah nama..one is in urdu , in English and third one is computerized nikkah nama issued by union council , and my boht original nikkah nama signed and stamped by Union council is it enough after UKBA new requirement or i need to check whether my nikkah nama is registedred with UC or not? how we can check this? please help me in this regard.
adnan742

Postby _Atif_ » Fri Oct 28, 2011 11:18 am

Salaam

Does anyone know where the union council is Lahore?

I was due to submit my wifes application on Monday but now I am unsure whether I have the right documents.

Anybody who can help and advise??
_Atif_

Ignorant UK VAC staff in Pakistan

Postby shahmir » Sun Oct 30, 2011 11:45 pm

I have emailed to the manager of UK VAC Islamabad and explained that Union Councils do not exist in some areas of Pakistan e.g. Islamabad, Kashmir and all cantonment areas of Pakistan. The response is good.

Dear Xxxxx,
Thank you for your email, kindly note that the Nikkah Nama provided must be registered and endorsed by the concerned/governing marriage registration authority of the area.

We appreciate your understanding and trust in our services.

Thanks and Best Regards,

Islamabad VAC Manager
UK Visa Application Centre
Gerry's International
Islamabad

But when I contacted VAC helpline and asked the same question, they said that they are advised by the UKBA to accept Nikah Nama which is endorsed by the Union Council and not by any other authority. I even spoke to their supervisor but she was more ignorant. The line dropped off and I could not discuss further regarding their manager's email.

Anyone who is applying these days from Pakistan as a spouse of a person living in the UK, must remember that the ignorant staff at Visa Application Centres can make you worry regarding Nikah Nama.

It is now a must to get your Nikah Nama registered and endorsed by the appropriate marriage registration authority of your area. It could be Union Council, Cantonment Board or any other body depending on the area of your residence. Staff at the UK VAC centres knows only one word "Union Council".

If you're living in a non union council area and you have got your Nikah Nama registered and endorsed by the appropriate marriage registration authority of your area, but VAC staff is creating any hurdles and insists to get it registered only from a Union Council, please tell them to contact their manager. The UK VAC staff is really really ignorant in Pakistan.

And by the way, it is the duty of the manager to teach their staff with the latest happenings. They are all just time wasters.
shahmir

Please help

Postby debtsset » Tue Nov 01, 2011 6:34 pm

Hi I need some help...

I am looking to apply for my wife's visa for settlement, I understand the requirement of UKBA to get Nikka Namma registered and endorsed, my father lives in Karachi and I requsted him to get this done for us. I spoke to him today and he said that he has been to Union Council they will take three days to get things done, however Union Council said to my father that they will registered the Nikka Nama and give him letter confirming this and they will only stamp on the photocopy of the Nikka Namma, not on the original one, I called Gerry's customer service but the adviser had no idea about this.

My question is: what exactly mean by endorssed, either is it just the stamp of union council on original Nikka Namma or does it mean the letter confirming from Union Council that they have registered Nikka Namma, also is this will be acceptable if union council only stamps photocopy or it has to be on original one too.

Also, do we need to stamp english translation of the Nikka Namma as well?

I've just looked at the Nikka Namma, on the urdu one there are only two Stamps, one which is round and reads The Seal of Nikkah Registrar and the other one states Nikah Registrar Name and his designation.

Many Thanks
debtsset
Newly Registered

Postby shahmir » Wed Nov 02, 2011 12:02 am

The original Nikah Nama must be registered and endorsed by your Union Council. 'Registration means they have a copy of your nikah nama in their records. Endorsement means they stamp and sign on your nikah nama to confirm that it is registered with them. Photocopy will not resolve this issue.

English translation must be done by a certified translator. The translation must describe that 'it is a certified true translation of the original, it must have name of translator, his signature, date and contact details.

The translation does not need to be endorsed by Union Council again. The translator will mention on the translation that the Nikah Nama is endorsed by the Registrar and the Union Council.
shahmir

Re: Please help

Postby adnan742 » Wed Nov 02, 2011 11:54 am

Hi,

you can do one more thing which i did in my case just ask union council to issue a computerise marriage certificate which is in urdu and English on one paper and have pakistan government and Nadra stamp on it...this will take one or two week and will charge around 1000 Rs. In my case i have submitted Original Urdu and English Nikkah nama (normal one) and this computerize one issued by union council. My wife submitted the case two days before let C what will bhe the outcom..pray for us..
Thanks.
adnan742

Thanks

Postby debtsset » Wed Nov 02, 2011 12:52 pm

Thanks Adnan for sharing, I've the same certificate which you mentioned in your post, this is from NADRA in English and Urdu (computerised) and stamp of Union Council, they also charges us Rs.1000.

Union Council is keep refusing to stamp original Nika Nama in Urdu ...

However I emailed visa application cernter to get confirmation about this Nikka Nama endorsement problem. this is what they said...

Thank you for your email.For settlement visa you have to submit orignal NIKAH NAMA and Union Council stamp should be on the original Nikah Nama.

I am very confused... If I submit Nadra's computerised Marriage Certificate which has Union Council stamp along with my original Nika Nama in urdu and english without union council stamp, just like what Adnan did, what if down the line in 2 months UKBA returns our application purely on the basis of not having Urdu (original Nikka Namma) not stamped by Union Council?

On the other hand Union Council simply dont want to attest Nikka Nama and saying that they do not have authority to do so...

I've emailed Visa application center.. will update here as soon as I get any response.

Regards[/img]
debtsset
Newly Registered

Re: Thanks

Postby adnan742 » Wed Nov 02, 2011 1:48 pm

Hi there,

Just to upate/correct you my urdu and english nikkah nama both have official union council stamp coz at the time of marriage we both signed urdu and english nikkah nama please bear in mind that english Nikkah nama is original one not the translation and i think its easily availabe with every Qazi. IF your original urdu nikkah nama is not stamp then i would recommend you to go to Molvi Sb who signed on your nikkah nama probably he will help you.

ALSO PLEASE LOOK AT YOUR STAMP ON NIKKAH NAMA.. the one i have like this' THE SEAL OF NIKKAH REGISTRAR and inside the circle ' Union Counil number and Ward # is mentioned which i think is union council stamp check your nikkah nama it shoud be there.

Thanks.
Last edited by adnan742 on Wed Nov 02, 2011 2:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
adnan742

Thanks

Postby debtsset » Wed Nov 02, 2011 2:21 pm

Thanks mate, my urdu and english Nikkan Namma both have stamps but those stamps are from Nikka Registrar - not the union council, I am not sure what to do.. as union council saying they wont stamp is because they dont have authority..
debtsset
Newly Registered

Re: Thanks

Postby adnan742 » Wed Nov 02, 2011 2:25 pm

Check union council word is written inside the stamp of Nikkah Registrar or not? i;ve checked mine union council number and ward number is there inside the stamp of nikkah registrar.

debtsset wrote:Thanks mate, my urdu and english Nikkan Namma both have stamps but those stamps are from Nikka Registrar - not the union council, I am not sure what to do.. as union council saying they wont stamp is because they dont have authority..
adnan742

You are right.

Postby debtsset » Wed Nov 02, 2011 2:32 pm

Yes, Adnan you are right.. I can see it now, its bit faded or possibly they didnt press the stamp properly on the paper, but I can see it says Union Council in the middle and on the border it says NIKKA REGISTRAR... do you think this should be fine then.. although I will submit the computerised one anyway.
debtsset
Newly Registered

Re: You are right.

Postby adnan742 » Wed Nov 02, 2011 2:48 pm

Don't know but my brother went to union council and they said that this is the stamp but don't know exactly...anyway i've submited my case to UKBA let see what will be the outcome...u can send email to UKBA regarding the same and let see what they will reply..plz share with me also.
adnan742

Postby zahid.ali.anwar » Thu Nov 03, 2011 3:58 am

As promised, here is the update...

My friends wife got the visa. So the process really pays off....

It seeems, UKBA don't want Pakistan to come out of clarkisum....Rather than introducing this registered and endorsing thingy, they must have asked for NADRA nikah nama. That will solve the purpose and definitely cut the link of bribery system...
The question is... to be or not to be....
zahid.ali.anwar
Member of Standing

Next

Return to General UK Immigration forum