ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Non EEC national marriage to UK national

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

GiantButton
Newly Registered

Non EEC national marriage to UK national

Post by GiantButton » Sat Sep 13, 2014 12:32 pm

Hi,

Sorry for the mini-essay, I just wanted to set things out as I see them and check if there is a better way.... or if I am horribly missguided/informed.

My girlfriend is a Brazilian national, we met 3 1/2 years ago when she came to study in London and have been together since then. She completed her masters this earlier year and her student visa expired at the end of April when she had to go back to Brazil.

Since she left I have been out to Brazil and we decided we would like to get married. As I already have my job here (and my Portuguese language skills suck) it would work out better all round if we live and work in the UK.

From what I can see we would need to initially apply for a fiancee visa which would be valid for 6 months during which time it is required that the wedding takes place, then once married she would then switch over to a spouse visa.

We have evidenve of our relationship such as facebook/photos/bank statements/skype etc, I meet the income/savings requirements and we would have a suitable place to stay. My girlfriend has also passed her masters degree taught in English which I believe meets the language requirements and would also need to pass the "life in the UK" test.

However under the fiancee visa she would unable to work which is not ideal, does anyone know roughly how long it takes to transition from fiancee to spouse visa one married or if any "fast track" options are available?

Alternatively is there a better way to go about this whole process?

Any thoughts or advice greatly appreciated.

GB

Casa

Re: Non EEC national marriage to UK national

Post by Casa » Sat Sep 13, 2014 12:37 pm

You're correct that she will be unable to work on the fiancee visa, but if you apply ibn person after the wedding at one of the Premium Service Centres (formally known as PEOs) assuming your documents are in order it should be decided on the same day.
This of course would be at the premium fee. She would then be entitled to work.
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.

357mag
Member of Standing
Bulgaria

Re: Non EEC national marriage to UK national

Post by 357mag » Sun Sep 14, 2014 2:34 pm

Just a thought but would it not be better to get married in Brasil and then she applies for a spouse visa rather than fiance?
I am not a forum GURU, I am often wrong
Dont take any notice of anything I post, I'm getting old and havn't the foggiest what I'm talking about.