ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

not mentioning australian visa refusal

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

diamond22
Newly Registered

not mentioning australian visa refusal

Post by diamond22 » Sat Sep 05, 2009 1:45 pm

hi,
i want to apply for uk student visa under tier 4 category. i had a previous australian visa refusal at 2002. will not mentioning this result in a ban? i don't know if they keep record of 2002.

Rozen
Diamond Member

Re: not mentioning australian visa refusal

Post by Rozen » Sat Sep 05, 2009 4:33 pm

diamond22 wrote:hi,
i want to apply for uk student visa under tier 4 category. i had a previous australian visa refusal at 2002. will not mentioning this result in a ban? i don't know if they keep record of 2002.
Mention it! Always tell the truth on visa applications! Your failure to mention a previous refusal is highly likely to result in your application failing. Not worth the risk.
On the other hand, if the question was asking about a refusal 'in the last ten years', and your refusal was before then, ofcourse you can leave it out! Otherwise no!

bototo

Post by bototo » Sat Sep 05, 2009 6:59 pm

Out of academic interest, how would UKBA know about an Australian refusal?

newperson

Post by newperson » Sat Sep 05, 2009 7:32 pm

bototo wrote:Out of academic interest, how would UKBA know about an Australian refusal?
Not saying that they know everything, but this link suggests that they may be heading in that direction.

magsi23
Member of Standing

Post by magsi23 » Sat Sep 05, 2009 7:53 pm

To mention about visa refusal will not necessary have negative impact if you do not mention it, be sure it will.
Magsi

diamond22
Newly Registered

Post by diamond22 » Sat Sep 05, 2009 8:35 pm

i applied for a visit to uk 5 months ago and got refused. i did not mention 2002 australia refusal. the refusal letter said on the balance of probability they don't think i will return after my visit there was no problem for not mentioning the refual. this time paid a lot of money to study at university. university will not return money if visa is refused other than general ground. this is why thinking what to do.

bototo

Post by bototo » Wed Sep 09, 2009 8:32 am

diamond22, that they did not mention your Australian refusal - and your silence on the matter - is not an indication that they did not know about it.

I don't even know if visa applicants like you can put in an FoI Act SAR to get the full picture. But it's very worrying when details are being shared across borders. Info sharing is a two-way street and if Australia is sharing info with the UK then it's likely the UK is sharing information too. That has Data Protection implications and, of course, huge scope for errors that have catastrophic effects on the victims. We all know how totally incompetent UKBA can be (see my last thread)

UKBAbble

Post by UKBAbble » Wed Sep 09, 2009 11:13 am

bototo wrote: But it's very worrying when details are being shared across borders. Info sharing is a two-way street and if Australia is sharing info with the UK then it's likely the UK is sharing information too. That has Data Protection implications and, of course, huge scope for errors that have catastrophic effects on the victims. We all know how totally incompetent UKBA can be
t

So peoples' convictions in another country shouldn't be available to UKBA? I think that a lot of people would disagree with you.

bototo

Post by bototo » Wed Sep 09, 2009 11:27 am

convictions? What on earth are you talking about?

We're discussing refusal of visa type information. Why should a refusal of a British visa (perhaps only because of a missing document or a document that UKBA lost) be grounds the Australians use - likely without the full facts - to refuse an Australian visa?

diamond22
Newly Registered

Post by diamond22 » Wed Sep 09, 2009 10:46 pm

i did mention it. i don't care if they do not give me visa, i just don't want to lose the money i paid to the university.

UKBAbble

Post by UKBAbble » Wed Sep 09, 2009 11:11 pm

bototo wrote:convictions? What on earth are you talking about?

We're discussing refusal of visa type information. Why should a refusal of a British visa (perhaps only because of a missing document or a document that UKBA lost) be grounds the Australians use - likely without the full facts - to refuse an Australian visa?
I was just suggesting that it is quite legitimate for countries to share such information, DPA doesn't come into effect.

Rozen
Diamond Member

Post by Rozen » Wed Sep 09, 2009 11:12 pm

diamond22 wrote:i applied for a visit to uk 5 months ago and got refused. i did not mention 2002 australia refusal.
diamond22 wrote:i did mention it.
Which is which?

diamond22
Newly Registered

Post by diamond22 » Thu Sep 10, 2009 6:21 am

Rozen wrote:
diamond22 wrote:i applied for a visit to uk 5 months ago and got refused. i did not mention 2002 australia refusal.
when i applied 5 month ago for visit then did not mention it
Rozen wrote:
diamond22 wrote:i did mention it.
Which is which?
now applied for student visa and mentioned it

nionlight
Member of Standing

Post by nionlight » Thu Sep 10, 2009 10:20 am

so which countries share information among themselves? there are 200+ countires in the world. or its just SO CALLED 1st world english speaking countries( usa, uk, canada, nz, aus) share information only? even if they do, what kind of information? any one can shed some light on it? :idea:

diamond22
Newly Registered

Post by diamond22 » Thu Sep 10, 2009 10:49 am

i got the visa. thought honesty is the best policy and went for it. fortunately evrything worked fine.

Vanadil

Post by Vanadil » Thu Sep 10, 2009 12:02 pm

nionlight wrote:so which countries share information among themselves? there are 200+ countires in the world. or its just SO CALLED 1st world english speaking countries( usa, uk, canada, nz, aus) share information only? even if they do, what kind of information? any one can shed some light on it? :idea:
Were you under the impression that your details wern't shared on an international basis? :?

mimimt

Post by mimimt » Fri Sep 11, 2009 1:18 am

OK, I think people really need to relax a little bit.

i know plenty of people who didn't declaire previous visa refusals (some are UK visa refusals) subsequently obtained UK visa

I seriously think the previous rejection was because you didn't show ties to your home country and there was a risk of you over-staying. Doubt there was anything more than that.
Last edited by mimimt on Fri Sep 11, 2009 1:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

diamond22
Newly Registered

Post by diamond22 » Fri Sep 11, 2009 1:25 am

its not possible to hide previous uk visa refusal because of biometrics and electronic record even if you get a new passport. you will probably still get away with not mentioning refusal from other countries if there is no indication on passport.

mimimt

Post by mimimt » Fri Sep 11, 2009 1:35 am

diamond22 wrote:its not possible to hide previous uk visa refusal because of biometrics and electronic record even if you get a new passport. you will probably still get away with not mentioning refusal from other countries if there is no indication on passport.
well, biometrics are very recent.

electronic record...... empirical evidence suggests that it really doesn't matter as long as you are attending a good university. The UK is not as crazy as the US who frequently reject students accepted by Harvard, Yale, etc. If its a dodgy uni, then you'll be in trouble

Mbe
Newly Registered

Post by Mbe » Sat Sep 19, 2009 11:16 am

Hi

You need to mention it in your application, otherwise your Visa will be turn down. If possible include the Australian refusal letter when applying for your visa.

Regards

Mbe
Newly Registered

Post by Mbe » Sat Sep 19, 2009 11:21 am

diamond22 wrote:i got the visa. thought honesty is the best policy and went for it. fortunately evrything worked fine.

Hi diamond22

Can you please enlighten us on your appeal procedure. I am on a similar situation.

Thanks

vinny

Post by vinny » Sat Sep 19, 2009 12:28 pm

Mbe wrote:
diamond22 wrote:i got the visa. thought honesty is the best policy and went for it. fortunately evrything worked fine.

Hi diamond22

Can you please enlighten us on your appeal procedure. I am on a similar situation.

Thanks
If he wasn't refused, then there is no appeal procedure.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.