ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Passport Inquiry and Travel

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

lyudin
Newly Registered

Passport Inquiry and Travel

Post by lyudin » Wed Nov 26, 2014 10:27 am

Dear IB,

I've recently become a UK Citizen as of this week (yay!).

I already have dual nationality and passports to two Commonwealth countries.

I am traveling back home for Christmas but I want to submit my UK passport ASAP if possible however I need to provide the passport that I have my entry and visa on.

If I send them Passport A (with entry and visa) can I still travel on Passport B and re-enter the country on Passport B?

Cheers.

MPH80
Respected Guru

Re: Passport Inquiry and Travel

Post by MPH80 » Wed Nov 26, 2014 12:10 pm

AIUI there is no legal requirement for a british citizen to enter the UK using their british passport.

However, you should carry copies of passport A, along with copies of your naturalisation certificate and any reference of your passport application to help with the discussion at the border.

You may also find that without a valid visa in your passport, you have a hell of a time getting on the plane to return to the UK. Airlines are charged for every person bounced at the UK border, so they take a cautious view to letting people onboard without the correct paperwork - copies of documents they cannot verify (remember - they don't have the same access to systems as UKBA) - will probably not cut it.

You would, honestly, be better off either a) waiting to apply for the passport until you return or b) postponing the trip.

ban.s

Re: Passport Inquiry and Travel

Post by ban.s » Wed Nov 26, 2014 12:14 pm

You'll need to submit all current passports (i.e. both A and B) with your UK passport application.