ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Refusal of visit visa

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

Mrs Orchid
Newly Registered

Refusal of visit visa

Post by Mrs Orchid » Mon Mar 14, 2016 8:34 pm

My sister in Sri Lanka recently applied for a visit visa to the UK and was refused. She misunderstood a question where it asked "how long do you intend staying in the UK" and she answered "up to two years" - she was paying £340 for a two year visa, hence her answer. They read it as she was going to stay for two continuous years. Also, they say she shows no strong ties to Sri Lanka and may not leave the UK to go back. She has visited her family in the UK for over 40 years and never been refused visa before. She has never flouted the rules or overstayed. She has a clean immigration history and is very upset she may not be able to see her family. UKVI is asking her to put in a fresh application as there is no right of appeal. I am her sponsor and gave an undertaking that I would take care of all her needs and ensures her safe return to Sri Lanka. We are all upset and don't know what to do. We have emailed UKVI again and they are not budging from their original decision. Any advice as to a way forward so that the decision is overturned and my sister is not blacklisted would be appreciated.

Casa

Re: Refusal of visit visa

Post by Casa » Mon Mar 14, 2016 8:45 pm

Her only option is to re-apply.
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Mon Mar 14, 2016 8:52 pm

+1 on what Casa said. How can they overturn a decision that appears to be correct. She stated on the form intending to stay for two years and she signed the form to declare it accurate and truthful.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

Mrs Orchid
Newly Registered

Post by Mrs Orchid » Mon Mar 14, 2016 9:06 pm

She answered "up to two years" as she was applying and paying for a two year visa. She did not say "up to two years continuously". As she has visited the UK for over 40 years, she is well aware that her stay is in multiples of six months. So her answer is not incorrect.

Casa

Post by Casa » Mon Mar 14, 2016 9:08 pm

Maybe not technically but it was left up to the Case Worker's interpretation. As a visitor visa refusal can't be appealed, with only the option of a possibly lengthy Judicial Review, it would make sense to re=apply.
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.

Mrs Orchid
Newly Registered

Post by Mrs Orchid » Mon Mar 14, 2016 9:18 pm

If she re-applied they will not be satisfied that her ties to Sri Lanka are strong enough for her to go back. She cannot lie about the fact that she lives alone, her kids and family are all out of Sri Lanka and have been for many years. During her 40 odd years of visiting the UK, her circumstances have not changed in this regard, and they never questioned it before, why now? She would not have anything more to add on this, so she may get refused again, and they will keep her money again!

Casa

Post by Casa » Mon Mar 14, 2016 9:21 pm

I honestly can't suggest an alternative. The error was in stating 'up to two years'.
(Casa, not CR001)

noajthan

Post by noajthan » Mon Mar 14, 2016 9:22 pm

Mrs Orchid wrote:If she re-applied they will not be satisfied that her ties to Sri Lanka are strong enough for her to go back. She cannot lie about the fact that she lives alone, her kids and family are all out of Sri Lanka and have been for many years. During her 40 odd years of visiting the UK, her circumstances have not changed in this regard, and they never questioned it before, why now? She would not have anything more to add on this, so she may get refused again, and they will keep her money again!
There's no appeal for this type of case so all you can do is work within the visa system.
All that is gold does not glitter; Not all those who wander are lost. E&OE.

Mrs Orchid
Newly Registered

Post by Mrs Orchid » Mon Mar 14, 2016 9:28 pm

Yes that is what we are doing and want to do. But, we don't want to waste more money knowing she may get turned down again. We are happy to be truthful, which she has been over 40 years with no problems, but cannot understand why they are questioning/doubting this now.

Casa

Post by Casa » Mon Mar 14, 2016 9:33 pm

I suggest she applies for a 6 month visitor visa. £87 is a cost you may have to be prepared to risk if you wan't to know the outcome.
(Casa, not CR001)

noajthan

Post by noajthan » Mon Mar 14, 2016 10:05 pm

Mrs Orchid wrote:..., but cannot understand why they are questioning/doubting this now.
Internal policies and guidance may well change over time.
Caseworkers come and go.
Enforcement and verification strategies may well change focus.
Don't expect anything to remain cast in stone in the world of UK immigration.
All that is gold does not glitter; Not all those who wander are lost. E&OE.

cmsheaky
Newly Registered

Post by cmsheaky » Mon Sep 26, 2016 8:08 pm

Mrs Orchid wrote:My sister in Sri Lanka recently applied for a visit visa to the UK and was refused. She misunderstood a question where it asked "how long do you intend staying in the UK" and she answered "up to two years" - she was paying £340 for a two year visa, hence her answer. They read it as she was going to stay for two continuous years. Also, they say she shows no strong ties to Sri Lanka and may not leave the UK to go back. She has visited her family in the UK for over 40 years and never been refused visa before. She has never flouted the rules or overstayed. She has a clean immigration history and is very upset she may not be able to see her family. UKVI is asking her to put in a fresh application as there is no right of appeal. I am her sponsor and gave an undertaking that I would take care of all her needs and ensures her safe return to Sri Lanka. We are all upset and don't know what to do. We have emailed UKVI again and they are not budging from their original decision. Any advice as to a way forward so that the decision is overturned and my sister is not blacklisted would be appreciated.

Hi orchid any good news yet i am in same problem. Please share with us .