ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

revoking deportation order for spouse

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

sarahpoole

revoking deportation order for spouse

Post by sarahpoole » Thu Sep 20, 2012 4:22 pm

hi
Iv been with my partner for 8 years, i am british citzen, we have 4 year old child.
My partner was deported nov 2010. We married jan 2012.
I want to revoke the order is this at all do-able on grounds of material change.
We also are struggling here me and my child iv been on anti depressents from when he was deported. Also my child has become selective mute and is affecting his education now he just started mainstream school. He doesnt talk at all when he goes to school and he had speech therpy.
The only family i have is my parents and its becoming strain on them to. With childcare help and sometimes finacially.
Please give me some advice.

sarahpoole

Post by sarahpoole » Thu Sep 20, 2012 4:27 pm

I must also add i didnt just marry him to help this situation. We did plan before also i did obviously go to his country. But i didnt realise the extent of dangers there and could not live there. Plus it would not be right for my child to live there. Even tried going to another eu country.

Greenie
Respected Guru

Post by Greenie » Thu Sep 20, 2012 5:19 pm

Was he actually deported (ie served with a deportation order following a criminal conviction) or was he just administratively removed? If deported what was his criminal offence and how long was his sentence? Did he appeal against the deportation? What is his nationality?

sarahpoole

Post by sarahpoole » Thu Sep 20, 2012 7:05 pm

He had a criminal conviction and served a sentence of 4 years. But did 2 in jail. He was in detainee centre for a year fighting his appeal. from jamaica. The responded with that i should go and live in his country and my child was young and wouldnt remeber his life here. My mother put up a 10 thousand pound surity for bail. I must also add at the time we had a totally rubbish solictor and i dont think was acting in our best interests and didnt explain the court process or nothing and difnt even have all documents that i submitted to them. Which i think made it worse for us.
Anyhow i went to see a solicitor other day about revoking it will cost alot of money but im not convinced its possible. I need to know really as this is destroying me.

sarahpoole

Post by sarahpoole » Thu Sep 20, 2012 7:08 pm

I must add..we have had long realtionship and home office agreed at time of this appeal that it was genuine. We have been together from 18 years old.

Greenie
Respected Guru

Post by Greenie » Thu Sep 20, 2012 8:06 pm

When was the appeal heard (this is important because of relevant article 8 case law) what was his offence and does he have any other criminal convictions?

sarahpoole

Post by sarahpoole » Thu Sep 20, 2012 8:19 pm

His case was heard in about sep 2010. we carried on fighting it i think with judical review or something and even last day went to court to try get him off the flight. cant remember exact date but cn find out. He was detained from jan 2010 till nov 2010. He has only this one criminal conviction..is it ok if i pm u wat it was for..even though iv never been in any problems with the law im embarsed on his behalf.

sarahpoole

Post by sarahpoole » Thu Sep 20, 2012 9:22 pm

Nt sure if my pm r going through

sarahpoole

Post by sarahpoole » Fri Sep 21, 2012 4:52 pm

Can ne1 help? With explaining process, difficulties, documents to help make succesful?, success rate, do's and dont's?
Also the revelant case law article 8? Will this help in anyway? Will doctors letter about childs selective mutism help in anyway? As there was study on children and it was proved that over protective mother and very distant father can be cause of selective mutism?
I am in ok position to apply for visa just cannot do anything without this?

Mr Rusty
Diamond Member

Post by Mr Rusty » Sat Sep 22, 2012 2:18 am

I have no direct knowledge of revocation of DO cases, but you may find it helpful to read the Caseworking Instructions on the UKBA website, which are here:-

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/sitec ... iew=Binary

I'm afraid it doesn't give you many grounds for optimism, because of this para:-

Custodial sentences of more than 30 months
In cases where the criminal conviction can never become “spent”, (custodial sentences of more than 30 months), continued exclusion from the United Kingdom should normally be the proper course. Applications for revocation should be refused unless refusal to revoke the deportation order would be contrary to the Human Rights Act or the Convention and Protocol Relating to the Status of Refugees or other exceptional circumstances apply.

Remember it is the sentence, not time served, which is relevant to your husband's case. The previous para relating to sentences of less than 30 months seems to imply that 10 years exclusion is the norm for those cases, so disregarding any exceptional circumstances it would seem very unlikely that an application 2 years after the enforcement of a DO against someone who copped 4 years would be entertained at all. No doubt Human Rights considerations featured in the original decision and appeal, so unless you can show a change of circumstances at an "exceptional" level there is little chance of success.

Whether your child's condition amounts to "exceptional circumstances" I am not qualified to say. You need the assistance of a lawyer who has experience of such cases.

sarahpoole

Post by sarahpoole » Sat Sep 22, 2012 11:44 am

Thnx rusty

An order may be invalid if:
• the subject has become a family member of an EEA national exercising Treaty rights in the United Kingdom.
Does this not count to any change in circumstances?

What actually counts as exceptional circumstances?
Ye human rights family life was argued in appeal..but they 'thought' tht I wud go back to his country with him.
Two years later I'm still here and have never been on more than a visit there.

Mr Rusty
Diamond Member

Post by Mr Rusty » Sun Sep 23, 2012 4:47 am

An order may be invalid if:
• the subject has become a family member of an EEA national exercising Treaty rights in the United Kingdom.
Does this not count to any change in circumstances

If you are a UK national living in the UK, you are not an EEA national exercising Treaty Rights in the UK. Up to now, if you could lay claim to any other EEA nationality (Irish for example), it has been possible to exercise rights under EEA Regulations rather than the Immigration Rules, but the Regulations were amended a couple of months ago and w/e/f 20th October that loophole is no longer open.

If the right to family life was considered at appeal I doubt whether your change of status from unmarried partner to spouse would be regarded as a significant change of circumstances, nor do I suspect that it was rejected because they "thought" it was your intention to relocate to Jamaica, only that it was possible for you to do so. The basic standpoint is that whilst there is a right to family life, there is no absolute right to exercise it in any particular place or country.

It might also be argued that you are not the only single parent in Britain.

I can only repeat what I said last time - You need the assistance of a lawyer who has experience of such cases.

sarahpoole

Post by sarahpoole » Sun Sep 23, 2012 12:51 pm

Okey i see. Can you recommend any lawyers?

Obie
Ireland

Post by Obie » Sun Sep 23, 2012 7:06 pm

Mr Rusty wrote:An order may be invalid if:
Does this not count to any change in circumstances

If you are a UK national living in the UK, you are not an EEA national exercising Treaty Rights in the UK. Up to now, if you could lay claim to any other EEA nationality (Irish for example), it has been possible to exercise rights under EEA Regulations rather than the Immigration Rules, but the Regulations were amended a couple of months ago and w/e/f 20th October that loophole is no longer open.

If the right to family life was considered at appeal I doubt whether your change of status from unmarried partner to spouse would be regarded as a significant change of circumstances, nor do I suspect that it was rejected because they "thought" it was your intention to relocate to Jamaica, only that it was possible for you to do so. The basic standpoint is that whilst there is a right to family life, there is no absolute right to exercise it in any particular place or country.

It might also be argued that you are not the only single parent in Britain.

I can only repeat what I said last time - You need the assistance of a lawyer who has experience of such cases.
Mr Rusty you seem to have given no regards to the Union Citizen aspect of the case, the UK borders agency duty under section 55 of the UKBA act 2007 and the Tribunal's decision in Sanade. The changes in the immigration rules, which provides for cases where sentence was within the 4 years margin.
Smooth seas do not make skilful sailors

Mr Rusty
Diamond Member

Post by Mr Rusty » Mon Sep 24, 2012 5:42 am

Obie wrote:
Mr Rusty you seem to have given no regards to the Union Citizen aspect of the case, the UK borders agency duty under section 55 of the UKBA act 2007 and the Tribunal's decision in Sanade. The changes in the immigration rules, which provides for cases where sentence was within the 4 years margin.
Thank you. I confess that in addressing the mother's status vis-a-vis EEA Regulations I overlooked the child's possible rights under UK and ECHR judgements. The Sanade judgement is interesting, as although the applicant, an Indian citizen who served a 12 months sentence for a minor sexual offence, won his case, it was considered along with 2 Jamaicans who both had flaky immigration cases and convictions for supplying Class A drugs - both of their cases were dismissed. In the judgement there was a particularly interesting comment as follows:-

Nevertheless, if the appellant does lead a law abiding life in the future, and if he does maintain contact with his children and this present partner, it will be open to him to apply to revoke this deportation order at some point in the future after his return to Jamaica. Although a deportation order is indefinite and the rules suggest that a substantial passage of time should elapse before an order will normally be revoked that is subject to the principle of proportionality in the light of the state of the relationship in the future. We make no observation on his prospects of future success, but it is not the case that deportation in such cases always lasts forever. Further we see no reason why the children would need to lose all contact with their father if he is returned to Jamaica. The prospect of return if he maintains contact within his family, supports them financially, makes a regular application for admission and ceases criminal activity is something to which we have regard in the exercise of the proportionality balance.

Of course, I don't want to suggest that this directly applies to the OP's partner, but it gives an indication of the way the courts might look at it, and 'Sanade' makes it clear that the nature and severity of the criminal offence are fundamental in balancing family life against deportation.

The criteria for revoking a DO are as set out previously, and the specified period for the OP's partner is indefinite. Paras 398 and 399 of the Rules (where the '4 years is mentioned') come under the heading 'Rights of Appeal against a decision not to revoke a DO' and the "exceptional circumstances' criterion is repeated. Given that the right to family life featured in the original appeal, logic suggests that she will have to show some significant change of circumstances for an appeal against revocation to succeed.

sarahpoole

Post by sarahpoole » Mon Sep 24, 2012 1:02 pm

Okey so he has maintained regular contact with me and child and hasnt had 1 scrape withthe law in jamaica. You meantioned that they would say he could remain in contact from jamaica. But is phone call enough? Cause how can they expect a single mother working for next to nothing these days to afford 2 flights to jamaica plus hotel accomadation cause of the area.
What classes as significant change in circumstances?

sarahpoole

Post by sarahpoole » Mon Sep 24, 2012 1:03 pm

Could maybe provide a list of signifcant change in circumstances?

Chiloe
Newly Registered

Re:

Post by Chiloe » Wed Jan 29, 2014 3:12 pm

sarahpoole wrote:Could maybe provide a list of signifcant change in circumstances?
Hi, I'm new to all this and am in the same situation as u. Although I have 3 children.
Did u get the DO revoked if so how long did it take? If not, why?

sarahpoole

Re: revoking deportation order for spouse

Post by sarahpoole » Wed Jan 29, 2014 8:09 pm

Hi
I didn't revoke the deportation order. My husband is back in the UK. He came back via the surinder singh route. In which I didn't have to revoke the deportation order.

Chiloe
Newly Registered

Re:

Post by Chiloe » Thu Jan 30, 2014 12:45 am

sarahpoole wrote:Could maybe provide a list of signifcant change in circumstances?
Any information u could provide and how u got your husband back in the uk would be wonderful.
I feel like iv been hitting a brick wall and I'm getting no response from anyone.
I don't want to live and feel like this everyday without him

sarahpoole

Post by sarahpoole » Thu Jan 30, 2014 2:57 am

Hi,
It seemed very difficult for me to revoke a deportation order for him without exceptional circumstances which I found out to be exceptional would mean if a family member had a terminal illness or along those lines. But I think you can apply for it to be revoked after 3 years. The home office don't have to revoke it, but they may say a future date in time they may consider revoking it.

So I opted for the surinder singh route. Where we went to another EU country, exercised my treaty rights therefore making him eligible to return to the UK with me. I didn't have to revoke the deportation order this way. Its easy enough if your willing to up route your life for a few months.

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by Wanderer » Thu Jan 30, 2014 8:07 am

SS route not so easy now in light of rule changes...
An chéad stad eile Stáisiún Uí Chonghaile....

askmeplz82
Diamond Member

Post by askmeplz82 » Thu Jan 30, 2014 12:36 pm

please have a look at here from this month it's not easy anymore as it used to be.

http://britcits.blogspot.co.uk/2013/12/ ... route.html

in this forum

http://www.immigrationboards.com/eea-ro ... 52660.html
UK Student Visa : 04/2004 - 09/2009
EEA Residence Card : 07/2010 - 7/2015
EU Settled Status: Confirmed on 16th July 2019
Naturalisation : Confirmed on 02nd Oct 2020
Passport Approval : 21st Feb 2021

Chiloe
Newly Registered

Post by Chiloe » Thu Jan 30, 2014 9:33 pm

I'm going to see my local mp tomorrow so any information u can give me, or if u can tell me what u done then at least I no what I'm talking about. Can u pm me pls

sarahpoole

Post by sarahpoole » Fri Jan 31, 2014 12:58 pm

the other posters are correct the new laws came in on Jan 1st making it harder, that's why we actually came back before the 1st of Jan 2014. But that's what we did so I cannot offer experience or advice on revoking a deportation order. Because we never went through with that option.